The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Didn't create absolutely anything today which was disappointing,

Surely Scott Allan must be on the way out the door, can't be paying him to sit on the bench 

Was listed as a sub but I never seen him out warning up at all

Does someone put sleeping pills into the half time tea? One attempt on target all game after 5 minutes then f**k all else.

What summed it up for me was, we had a corner with a minute to go and played a short low ball and left two at the back. Get everyone up, including the keeper and launch it in ffs.

Our midfield was anonymous today, Motherwell won everything there.

An extremely flat performance.

Lack of any creativity or fight in central midfield. And to top it off we persisted with just lumping the ball forward where almost every time the Motherwell defenders dealt with ease.

We had nothing going down the right which gave the Motherwell LB the easiest game of his life.

McKenna was the only player that showed any desire to fight for every ball. Run himself into the ground with that effort.

Motherwell didnt have to do an awful lot defensive wise as we offered no threat at all.

More players needed. Right winger and defender. Plus a combatitive and energetic central/defensive midfielder. And another striking option.

43 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Was listed as a sub but I never seen him out warning up at all

Was out at half time but never seen him during game, actually forgot Gold was used as a sub, I also thought we were past playing Hilson on the wing 

Its always been the same this season, have a wee bit of optimism but it comes completely crashing down,  Motherwell were obviously favourites and we have been poor this season but we didn't even lay a glove on a team that are also struggling,

Also I can't believe how long every free kick, throw in or goal kick took today, its massively frustrating

Desperately need another striker in ASAP. I really like Adarkwa and thought he was excellent first half but it was so obvious he was absolutely knackered in the second half and needed taking off but we have nobody on the bench who we can bring on to play that role. A bit daft letting Shanks go out on loan before we had a replacement in for him

2 minutes ago, Gayf78 said:

Desperately need another striker in ASAP. I really like Adarkwa and thought he was excellent first half but it was so obvious he was absolutely knackered in the second half and needed taking off but we have nobody on the bench who we can bring on to play that role. A bit daft letting Shanks go out on loan before we had a replacement in for him

Shanks scored today. Which is nice to see 

Thought we competed well throughout and wasn’t much in it, just lacked a bit creativity. It was good to see us a bit more solid at the back than the QP and Inverness games. Scott Allan cracked a rib so won’t be near fitness yet, with that type of injury would imagine he could be doing warm up etc just not coming into contact stuff yet. Would’ve been a good option with 15 to go to maybe give us a spark. 

I thought we played well today, Mikey ran himself into the ground,big Sean put in a good shift up top, we were denied a stonewall penalty first half,, 2-0 totally flattered them.

Go again next week at Greenock where the league points are far more important. 

Going by the comments I guess abody feels the same, Fantastic effort by the players especially McKenna, Motherwell were awful and it’s easy to see why they sit bottom of the Premiership, They were absolutey there for the taking today but we just lacked or didn’t have that cutting edge to finish them off, As usual we never got any decisions especially the stonewall penalty first half and it just ended up a really flat boring tight game, AFC of last season would have comfortably won that game 3/4 nil easy 🇱🇻🔥⚽

A decent workout yesterday with a few positives. We were in the tie until the last minute which is creditable against a PL team. Mikey was back to his best with some tireless running and tackling. The new boys all did ok especially Sean. He looks like developing into a really good prospect. Dow was competent on the right but it’s hard to see him giving us much more. The defence coped well with Bitsindou doing fine when moved back. I’m not so convinced by Gill in goal.

I agree with the other comments about lack of attack down the right. Dick must surely be looking for another RB to allow Scott Stewart to get forward.

Great to see and hear the youngsters with the drum. Gayfield is great with a decent crowd.

Our squad had definitely improved but we still need at least a couple more faces in which caird has already mentioned. Another striker and a right back are priority. I think the main problem this year is confidence, had a few hidings and we’re needing a run to build things back up. The consistency hasn’t been there either with suspensions, injuries and transfers. Im a bit more confident with our squad now and cove are there for the taking! 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Wasn't expecting a cup upset but losing that last minute goal was a bit of a sickener and flattered Motherwell. The ref didn't do use any favours, the pushing and shoving by a physical Motherwell side was allowed and their No. 22 Johnston took a real shine to El Mhanni, he couldn't keep his hands off him even when the ball was at the other end of the park.

Adarkwa had another good game, again with little support when he got possession up front. When he had to go wide there was no-one in the box to cross to, same failings as in league games.

Was Ricky Little carrying an injury or did he get injured in the game? From where I was there didn't seem to be a bad tackle on him.

As has been said McKenna was back to his best, hope he can keep it going for the rest of the season. The new signings have made a difference and we are as stronger side than earlier in the season but we need to stop losing late goals.

27 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Wasn't expecting a cup upset but losing that last minute goal was a bit of a sickener and flattered Motherwell. The ref didn't do use any favours, the pushing and shoving by a physical Motherwell side was allowed and their No. 22 Johnston took a real shine to El Mhanni, he couldn't keep his hands off him even when the ball was at the other end of the park.

Adarkwa had another good game, again with little support when he got possession up front. When he had to go wide there was no-one in the box to cross to, same failings as in league games.

Was Ricky Little carrying an injury or did he get injured in the game? From where I was there didn't seem to be a bad tackle on him.

As has been said McKenna was back to his best, hope he can keep it going for the rest of the season. The new signings have made a difference and we are as stronger side than earlier in the season but we need to stop losing late goals.

Ricky had been unwell all week. Probably the wrong decision to start him 

57 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Ricky took unwell on pitch and threw up, Pink mentioned this in his interview

21 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I expected a lot more from us today if I’m honest. Never looked like scoring. Midfield lost the battle for me. On a positive note though McKenna was superb 

Our midfield is a barren wasteland of creativity

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Our midfield is a barren wasteland of creativity

And physicality.

We completely lost the midfield battle yesterday and Motherwell pretty much had a free reign there. How many times did they have time and space to win it, take it down and pass it on completely unchallenged?

Unlike some others here, I actually thought Balde was very poor yesterday as was Gold. We’re desperately needing physicality in the centre of midfield and players who stay there and don’t get sucked back into defence as soon as the opposition have the ball.

Yesterday also exposed how threadbare we are at the back.

Edited by Tattie36