The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I watched the game via stream yesterday, and I think so many of our issues now are down to confidence and desperation.  A confident team wouldnt concede these soft goals we keep conceding.  A confident team also wouldnt just play to grimly hang on (how many goals do we concede right near half time?).

I also think that a desperation to get us back in the game is why we keep getting caught out.  We're obviously desperate to score goals, how many times this season have we pressed forward relentlessly, only for the opposition to get the ball, run up the pitch and immediately score.  I think our players overcommit now, particularly the back line, and they don't have the pace to recover when they get caught out of position.

So essentially, I think our key issue now is mental.  We look like we have the right players now, and our line ups have started to make sense again.  I worry that the confidence aspect is going to be the hardest thing to sort though.

Would agree about the mentality thing. It’s a hard thing to change too, which is why some things going our way would be very welcome it feels like we have had absolutely zero luck all season and we’d used it all up last year. Surely get the rub of the green soon. Inverness last week too was really shite to see how low on confidence we looked after it went 2-1 after getting ourselves back in the game and playing well it was a killer blow right on the half time whistle and after that we looked a shadow of ourselves. 

4 points from Dundee away, Inverness at home and Ayr away would be a decent return if we were in any other situation and we will need to try and take 3/4 points from the next two at Morton and home to Raith to set us up for the Cove game on 18th

Hamilton got a win yesterday but their next 4 are Thistle away, Dundee at home, Inverness away and Queens Park at home. That’s a very tough run of games. Would like to think we could pull away a bit from them

3 hours ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

These players are well and capable to come in do their jobs on the pitch even after being out injured etc, 

I doubt anyone can come in after months out, with a couple of hours training per week, and do their job, match fitness makes all the difference. 

Take your point that is madness also to have bounce games with such a small squad, incase of injuries.

Its a catch 22 though, because those who need to get fitter need some kind of game time, especially the likes of Scott Allan, who didnt have a pre-season, good player but is playing catch up, also Hilson who was out injured for a period. 

5 hours ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

Aye thats what we will do play bounce games and friendlies at this time of the season and where we are in the league...what if players got injured in these games? Then we are up shit creek are we no ? These players are well and capable to come in do their jobs on the pitch even after being out injured etc, 

Away you go little boy. The grown ups are having a conversation 

3 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Under very testing conditions, yesterday was a really good all round performance from everyone - the players showed determination and all gave 100%.

I doubt that was a penalty - a soft decision by the ref.

Overall Arbroath were the better team - another 5 mins on the clock and we would have scored the winner.

Very encouraging signs and good to see the two new signings on the score sheet.

Ayr is a difficult away match for any team - that was a well deserved point.

We are improving at the right time and games against Hamilton and Cove will be 6 pointers - these games will be our cup finals.

Well done to all the players for putting in a great shift.

Any humble pie going Clashy? 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Sean Adarkwa on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties 2-2 draw with Ayr United yesterday. The January signing scored his 1st goal for the club with a wonderful flicked finish to pull us level in atrocious conditions at Somerset Park. Let’s hope this is the 1st of many for the big Englishman. 

79FC8DF8-8AAB-43A4-A580-499338D67C30.jpeg

48 minutes ago, TASC_1878 said:

Congratulations to Sean Adarkwa on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties 2-2 draw with Ayr United yesterday. The January signing scored his 1st goal for the club with a wonderful flicked finish to pull us level in atrocious conditions at Somerset Park. Let’s hope this is the 1st of many for the big Englishman. 

Was between him and Balde for me. 

Where does Scott Allan fit in to this team? 

On 14/01/2023 at 17:57, lichtie23 said:

So let him play shite there for a month and then decide that he’s not the best person to play there? 

Solid thinking chief 

What a feckin stupid tit you are !!

Edited by DUAFC

4 hours ago, TASC_1878 said:

I’m surprised it wasn’t Scott Stewart after some of the opinions on this thread. 

FWIW David Gold was my pick for player of the match. Just beating out Joao Balde 

100% Scott Allan has a massive part to play in helping keep us in the Championship, With much more exciting options in an attacking sense now combined with his creativity I think it can be a winning combination 🇱🇻⚽🔥

I am so confident after yesterdays game and Dundee that we will be absolutely fine, We have so much more strength in depth and loads of quality in the team with hopefully another 1 or 2 to come in that I feel we can and will compete against anyone in this league, The Inverness game was a total farce due to the farcical and unusual errors that probably rattled the team and we never recovered , A total one off and if it was played again tomorrow it would be a totally completely different outcome. 

I agree with that.  With Adarkwa looking like the big nuisance we need, service from el-Mhanni and Linn (depending who plays), and McKenna looking like he is able to play off Adarkwa, having Allan in a composed central midfield role makes a lot of sense to me, as he will actually have someone to pass to.  

I'm not saying throw him in the team and make him a guaranteed starter, he needs to earn it, but I'm not ready to put him in the kneejerk bonfire. 

Edited to add, however, I do not agree that we will be absolutely fine.  We will not.  Our confidence and mentality is shot to pieces.  It is incredibly hard to come back from that.

Edited by ExiledLichtie