The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, stan3600 said:

I agree. But even when fit Scott Stewart is not yet a very good right back. He has all the attributes to be one but needs to learn the role. I’d be happier in the short term if we could sign a very good right back. Easier said than done. 

Well that would be the dream, aye.

32 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Like Oakley or JT. 

JT was done. He chucked it at the Hamilton game. In first half stopped tracking man with ball in the box and went to cover the front post. Stewart had to bust a gut blocking the cross. He gave Thomson what for

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

JT was done. He chucked it at the Hamilton game. In first half stopped tracking man with ball in the box and went to cover the front post. Stewart had to bust a gut blocking the cross. He gave Thomson what for

I don’t disagree but what I mean is we can sign great right backs. We had 4 great seasons from JT. 

First of all I never said anything after last weeks game because it was a complete one off and I thought the overreaction would've been too annoying to read and deal with. Thought we were the better team first half and absolutely everything went against us and second half absolutely nobody turned up. Was nothing to do with the problems we'd had this season our experienced reliable players never came back out for that second half and Inverness were brilliant at battling away. They’re a hard team to play against.

Gaston, Little, ToB, Hamilton, McKenna, Stewart, Bitsindou etc etc were all terrible and as a team we were second to everything. Guys we can always usually rely on. Their goals were ridiculous too. Just wasn't our day. Adarkwa, El Mhanni and Balde showed their promise in that first half. 

Yesterday I thought we played well in horrendous conditions but gave away two terrible goals. I don't think the penalty was a penalty and the corner.... ffs man. Just such a shit goal to lose. On the plus side El Mhanni scored again, that's 2 in 3 and a man of the match in his other game and big Adarkwa scored a great goal. I just wish we could've held on it would've been huge. 

However there are promising signs there and it was so very nearly 2 wins out of 3 since the big overhaul of the team. There are reasons to be optimistic there. Morton away and Raith at home coming up, I think we will be within a whisker of Cove after these 2 fixtures before we meet them on the 18th. They have Ayr and Partick Thistle. 

All to play for 

Supporters getting butt hurt because a player was criticised. No surprise as it’s the usual suspects. 

I also thought Stewart struggled yesterday. Both goals came down his side. For the penalty we allowed the lad to run freely with no challenge. For the 2nd Scott was out of position meaning he had to concede the corner. His positioning and distribution was also severely lacking. I’m astonished anyone who was at the game would think any different. 

On the penalty decision I seem to think it’s been given on a pull back of the lads arm instead of a trip. The pull back sent him off balance sending him to the floor. That being said the Referee was poor. A definite 2/10 performance. At one point in the 1st half he had completely lost control of the game. One decision he did get correct was sending Dick to the stands. Could see him getting an extended touch line ban due to previous disciplinary issues. 

Adarkwa and Balde look like a couple of very nice signings. Dow looked comfortable on the ball in testing conditions. Yasin looks very one footed but certainly adds some flair when going forward. 

Free hit next week in the Scottish. How many of our new signings are cup tied? 

4 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Supporters getting butt hurt because a player was criticised. No surprise as it’s the usual suspects. 

I also thought Stewart struggled yesterday. Both goals came down his side. For the penalty we allowed the lad to run freely with no challenge. For the 2nd Scott was out of position meaning he had to concede the corner. His positioning and distribution was also severely lacking. I’m astonished anyone who was at the game would think any different. 

On the penalty decision I seem to think it’s been given on a pull back of the lads arm instead of a trip. The pull back sent him off balance sending him to the floor. That being said the Referee was poor. A definite 2/10 performance. At one point in the 1st half he had completely lost control of the game. One decision he did get correct was sending Dick to the stands. Could see him getting an extended touch line ban due to previous disciplinary issues. 

Adarkwa and Balde look like a couple of very nice signings. Dow looked comfortable on the ball in testing conditions. Yasin looks very one footed but certainly adds some flair when going forward. 

Free hit next week in the Scottish. How many of our new signings are cup tied? 

Stewart was nowhere near the boy running into the box and the corner criticism just extremely harsh. Harsh to criticise anyone yesterday for me, handled a really tough day and conditions very well on the whole 

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Stewart was nowhere near the boy running into the box and the corner criticism just extremely harsh. Harsh to criticise anyone yesterday for me, handled a really tough day and conditions very well on the whole 

Overall I thought we played well yesterday and were probably the better of the two sides in very testing conditions. But Scott Stewart did not play well. Right back is a weakness now that Marcel has been recalled and it needs addressed. 

18 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Overall I thought we played well yesterday and were probably the better of the two sides in very testing conditions. But Scott Stewart did not play well. Right back is a weakness now that Marcel has been recalled and it needs addressed. 

Maybe but personally always seen him as more of a right back than a right midfield player. He does well running onto play and he’s not got a trick or the finesse to beat a full back when he’s faced up one on one. Also big strong and quick. I’d like to see him converted to RB full time so we can have a proper winger play there. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe but personally always seen him as more of a right back than a right midfield player. He does well running onto play and he’s not got a trick or the finesse to beat a full back when he’s faced up one on one. Also big strong and quick. I’d like to see him converted to RB full time so we can have a proper winger play there. 

I understand where you are coming from but he needs to be trained up to play the position. Do that in friendlies or bounce games. Not in league games when we are scrapping at the wrong end of the table.  

38 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

I understand where you are coming from but he needs to be trained up to play the position. Do that in friendlies or bounce games. Not in league games when we are scrapping at the wrong end of the table.  

Aye thats what we will do play bounce games and friendlies at this time of the season and where we are in the league...what if players got injured in these games? Then we are up shit creek are we no ? These players are well and capable to come in do their jobs on the pitch even after being out injured etc, 

I watched the game via stream yesterday, and I think so many of our issues now are down to confidence and desperation.  A confident team wouldnt concede these soft goals we keep conceding.  A confident team also wouldnt just play to grimly hang on (how many goals do we concede right near half time?).

I also think that a desperation to get us back in the game is why we keep getting caught out.  We're obviously desperate to score goals, how many times this season have we pressed forward relentlessly, only for the opposition to get the ball, run up the pitch and immediately score.  I think our players overcommit now, particularly the back line, and they don't have the pace to recover when they get caught out of position.

So essentially, I think our key issue now is mental.  We look like we have the right players now, and our line ups have started to make sense again.  I worry that the confidence aspect is going to be the hardest thing to sort though.

Under very testing conditions, yesterday was a really good all round performance from everyone - the players showed determination and all gave 100%.

I doubt that was a penalty - a soft decision by the ref.

Overall Arbroath were the better team - another 5 mins on the clock and we would have scored the winner.

Very encouraging signs and good to see the two new signings on the score sheet.

Ayr is a difficult away match for any team - that was a well deserved point.

We are improving at the right time and games against Hamilton and Cove will be 6 pointers - these games will be our cup finals.

Well done to all the players for putting in a great shift.