The Arbroath Thread

48 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

You are playing a very dangerous game here. How dare you criticise ANY Arbroath player, especially on this website. Cityclashrocker will be along soon to give you a proper scalding for even slightly disagreeing with what the Great Dick Campbell has done by signing this unproven youngster from the Highland League. 

Right enough  !!

Either Clashey or his alter ego AFC PUNK ROCK 360 will get you with his humble pie !

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

As I said. 1 experienced striker away from a very good January window

This is still the main thing to address but before with a lot of the guys mentioned I felt like we were a bit lost with who we were going for there was no real feel of building anything or signing guys that would be good and important to the squad.

El Mhanni still has a lot to prove I have no idea if he can keep playing well consistently but we now know that on his day he can be a game changer, I am not sure if him or Adarkwa will stay past the summer I kind of doubt it but there’s a good chance Hetherington will and we have Dow and Balde for 18 months too.

They 3 are really good squad players for us, they seem to tick all the boxes. They might not work out but on paper it’s the kind of guys we should be going for and I hope signing them will be a boost to the guys we’ve got here too and make them want to stay at the club.

Need to build that good changing room back up again we’ve always had that under Dick and I feel like in the summer we came up with a lot of unproven short term punts to try and replace the steady experienced boys we had in there and it all just felt off and so unlike us. 

4 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Some of the reaction to signings at times is a bit embarrassing. I seem to recall the signing of a certain Michael McKenna being chastised on here for days so suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. 
Another midfielder seems a bit much but I have a feeling we won’t see much of Tait or Allan and wouldn’t be surprised if one or both move on and having Balde and Hertherington puts an end to the Low coming back talk. 

Hetherington seems to have been poor at Falkirk but was always a very good player at Alloa in this league so certainly knows what it takes to get out a championship relegation battle. Hoping he does well. 

im convinced we’ll add another striker but we only play with one, Adwarka, Hilson with now Dow, Bobby and El Mhanni we’re looking far better in the forward areas

The other thing that’s good is we are getting things done early in the month which was badly needed. 

Fully agree, really wouldn't be surprised to see Tait and/or Allan moved on,  when's Hoti signed on til? 

Striker in and defensive cover unless we just use Gold and Stewart and its been a  decent January so far

Edited by lichtiekev

13 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Fully agree, really wouldn't be surprised to see Tait and/or Allan moved on,  when's Hoti signed on til? 

Striker in and defensive cover unless we just use Gold and Stewart and its been a  decent January so far

Scott Allan has a 2 year deal at £2,000 per week. Be some pay off if he was to move on.

17 hours ago, Waspie said:

Hetherington first came to Alloa as quite a young player and a squad filler initially. It looked like he was on his way out a couple of times but he eventually settled into DM role under Jack Ross and went from strength to strength. His partnership with Iain Flannigan in centre midfield was class in the Championship, Stevie doing a lot of the ball winning and Flanny as the playmaker. Hetherington also capable on the ball though and really driving on from midfield. He was very rarely dominated in the Championship when the standard was higher than it is now (IMO) and should have got a better move than Falkirk at the time. 

He probably wasn't helped by being installed as captain immediately on arrival there but the move was obviously a disaster. I thought he might well settle under McGlynn and he did get rave reviews against Hibs at the start of this season, but clearly wasn't able to build on that. A strange one as the Hetherington who played so well in tier two for us was a class above the level Falkirk have been at in recent times. If Arbroath can get him back to where he was he'll be a terrific addition. 

He has been an utter enigma for us. Looked influential and strong in midfield at Alloa, and came to TFS with some optimism, and almost immediately his form fell off a cliff.  He's been painfully slow, constantly caught in possession, and always seemed to play the safe - and ineffective -  square ba'/'pass the buck' type role in midfield anonymity.

Clearly been playing in a dreadful Falkirk squad,  but unable to raise his game more than a meagre handful of times. Won't be missed, which given our on-going struggles doesn't say a lot for him. No doubt will prove us wrong...  

9 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

He has been an utter enigma for us. Looked influential and strong in midfield at Alloa, and came to TFS with some optimism, and almost immediately his form fell off a cliff.  He's been painfully slow, constantly caught in possession, and always seemed to play the safe - and ineffective -  square ba'/'pass the buck' type role in midfield anonymity.

Clearly been playing in a dreadful Falkirk squad,  but unable to raise his game more than a meagre handful of times. Won't be missed, which given our on-going struggles doesn't say a lot for him. No doubt will prove us wrong...  

I seen people on your forum say you wanted rid of Aidan Nesbitt too. Send him our way