The Arbroath Thread

8 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We should be ok given our points tally so far but who knows what will happen with our loans. If they get recalled we need to fill the holes then it will be interesting. I definitely don't feel as confident with McIntyre in charge compared to Hartley.

A 6th or 7th place finish under McIntyre. His head wouldn't fit through the door! 

Playoffs would be nerve racking. Definitely see Arbroath signing better this window than the last. There's cash in the bank and although you don't want to splash it excessively it's available to be put to good use.

We could sign Kyle falconer Lenny Henry and Robert mugabe and it would be no worse than the summer 

Just now, Leicesterlichtie said:

I still don't get why some fans think we're going to have a mass of outgoings and incoming. Yes, there might be some but can't see 7 being released. 

As always, I can be wrong.

Fosu and Shanks - Peterhead

Oakley / Hancock / Tait - guessing they’ll be back to clubs. Tait and Hancock done for the season I’m sure. Oakley recalled by Birmingham. 

Corfe - back to USA 

Jacobs - not away but he’s finished for the season 

Isiaka / Hoti - maybe Hoti will be kept on, can’t see Isiaka staying he’s barely played 

Could easily see a mass exodus 

Had a wee look through the results we’ve had this year and we really haven’t been in front very often in games. Only happened 3 times in 19 games, we won 2 of them and so very nearly won the other. 

First goal in games obviously so important. Obviously also a very depressing fan experience having only spent 210 minutes in a winning position from a possible 1710 

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I still don't get why some fans think we're going to have a mass of outgoings and incoming

The players recruited in the summer are better suited to be playing in the lower leagues, perhaps Scottish Div 1 or 2 -, unfortunately they have struggled to adapt to the demands of championship football and it is best for all concerned that they move on to a suitable level, where they can get regular game time.

To avoid relegation we need to recruit championship level players - releasing the summer signings will free up wages and allow DC to bring in new players.

The option of doing nothing would surely mean automatic relegation.

18 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

The players recruited in the summer are better suited to be playing in the lower leagues, perhaps Scottish Div 1 or 2 -, unfortunately they have struggled to adapt to the demands of championship football and it is best for all concerned that they move on to a suitable level, where they can get regular game time.

To avoid relegation we need to recruit championship level players - releasing the summer signings will free up wages and allow DC to bring in new players.

The option of doing nothing would surely mean automatic relegation.

You mean release players that are currently under contract? Surely there are costs associated with that?

Really, really trying to think positive thoughts but the next few days and weeks could be carnage. Even if we do release a load and bring in 6, 7 or 8 players of the requisite standard, I just can’t see how they will seamlessly and immediately integrate without a bedding in period.

Also unlikely that we’re suddenly going to change the way we’ve been playing all season so I fully expect to still be watching eye bleedingly awful football no matter who we bring in.

Bah humbug.

4 hours ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

You mean release players that are currently under contract?

The summer signings would have been signed with a January review window and some of the loan players will return to their club.

These signings could be good players in the lower Scottish leagues, but unfortunately failed to click at Gayfield - 2 wins in 19 games has the relegation bells ringing.

There will need to be a good number of outgoings to free up wages - unfortunately the signings have not worked as we had hoped.

I don't understand why people expect Fosu out.  He's been our best summer signing, and can do a job all over the pitch.  Dick clearly trusts him, and he has been fine.

Plus this idea of mass outgoings is folly.  We can barely fill our bench as it is, and I can't see us paying off everyone's contracts.

20 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

But where do we miraculously expect to find all these superstars mid season?? Loan's could end up being a gamble again and free agents are free agents for a reason. 

Been saying this for months. Who exactly are these superstars just biding their time to sign for a part-time team fighting relegation.

36 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don't understand why people expect Fosu out.  He's been our best summer signing, and can do a job all over the pitch.  Dick clearly trusts him, and he has been fine.

Plus this idea of mass outgoings is folly.  We can barely fill our bench as it is, and I can't see us paying off everyone's contracts.

I agree. I would 100% keep Fosu, gives us a physical presence, is very versatile and could easily, with a bit more luck, have scored a few more goals.

27 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

where do we miraculously expect to find all these superstars

There won't be any superstars coming to Gayfield in January ( unless we are playing a friendly against Liverpool or Man U) - but I have my own superstar, who goes by the name of Sir Bobby Linn.

We will be signing loan players who most of us probably won't have heard of - also perhaps a few ex Premier League players who are now at the level of playing in the Championship and we will need to roll the dice and take a chance on few wild cards.

We now have a small recruitment team , working alongside the management - players will have been identified and discussions will be ongoing.

I expect a few announcements soon with more signings between now and the end of the month - none of the signings will be "superstars", but if they are match fit and can compete at Championship level this will be all we can ask.

We already have some of the best players in this league - a few decent signings will hopefully give us the lift we need.

Thought  two or three times about posting this, but what the hell, it's just some ramblings of an auld man at the time of year when I start to look back, glad to have made it through another year and look forward, with some trepidation, at the game and the club that have been a constant in my life. At times the only link with home was seeing the football results in a week or two old newspaper.

As a club we have moved forward on the non-playing side but on the playing side we are still playing the type of football that was played when boots had leather studs hammered into the sole. But in those days teams played with two wingers and a player in the middle (centre forward for those too young to remember). Not just one player up front who has to chase across the width of the park to try to get possession of long high balls from the back and to contend with four or more defenders as well.

Isn't it time we changed the coaching philosophy and moved forward to a more modern type of game where we keep possession and pass and move? Surely, even with part time players, that could be achieved. Or is the boot up the pitch and hope for the best style so ingrained at the club, and far too easy to stick with, that we stay left behind on the playing side? Or are the management and coach, in their 70s, too long in the tooth to change their management and coaching style?

Having said that, the ball over the top of a defence can work if the attacking side have enough players moving forward quickly when the ball is played, but relying on one player to get and hold the ball until support arrives tends to negate the positives of that type of play.

Ach, I’m just scunnered with watching good players doing their best but losing confidence, not having a settled team selection, strange substitutions and bullshit being spouted by the team management. We may well be relegated even if we manage to finish in 9th place but I’ll still buy my season ticket and hope for the best, whatever league we are in.

Happy New Year to all Lichties and football supporters everywhere

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Oakley been our best summer recruit by far. Fosu hasn’t been terrible but hasn’t great either so I’d say he’s been very meh 5/10 most week which will give us f**k all except an option from bench at most. 

Get out most of the summer recruits and replace them.

id only keep Oakley. Allan is a good player but only good with a specific striker/ wingers so depending on the strikers/wingers incoming he’ll be worth while. But I’d imagine DC is looking for that striker as Allan is his main boy. Stewart being back makes a case for this too has he gets beyond. 

Shanks going on loan makes sense if he isn’t going to play regularly for us. Everyone id get rid of bar bitsindou he come in handy bar his injury issues.