The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Here is a list of 7 player's that might get released in January

Bitsindou ( loss of form after promising start)

Hoti

Shanks ( put on loan to an Angus club)

Isiaka

Tait (injured)

Corfe

Jacobs

If we include Hancock ( who is out for the season injured) - that would be a total of 8 players being released with only Oakley remaining from all the summer signings.

There could potentially be up to 7-8 signings in January !

Fosu?  Allan?  

Also, why would we get rid of Hoti when we only just signed him? Likewise, I would be very surprised if we released Jacobs.

Edited to add, is the problem that Bitsondou has lost form?  Or is it more that he's not fully fit and despite being a big guy, appears to be made of balsa wood?

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Wasn't Hoti only till January?

His performance against Queens Park made my mind up about him,

Only one that has been consistently good if your being really honest with yourself is Oakley,

Wouldn't be sad to see any of the others go, they have all had decent moments in matches but overall not good enough,

It's time to be harsh and do everything we can do give ourself and chance to stay in the league, and the current squad  aren't good enough to do that,

21 hours ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

Forgetting about Fosu?

Shanks on loan to an Angus club - any particular reason why it needs to be an Angus club?

Might be a bit presumptuous to think/hope that Oakley 1. wants to stay & 2. his parent club want him to stay. Could be a lot of interest in him based on his performances.

Formartine are desperate to get Shanks on loan to them and he has trained with them a few times recently too. 

58 minutes ago, Bob Bags said:

Formartine are desperate to get Shanks on loan to them and he has trained with them a few times recently too. 

It would be fair to put him out on loan he needs to play at his age but not sure Highland League is where he should be going if he wants to improve as a player. 5/6 teams bottom of L2 level but the rest seem to be pretty terrible. If he wants to get better he needs to play up the leagues, would like to see him go to Forfar or something.

Any updates on Nicky Low? As of Sunday he will be an Arbroath player again, Would be a brilliant boost to have him back running the show in the middle of the park until the end of the season at least, Just hoping that any falling out can be resolved ⚽🇱🇻🔥

Just now, 36-0 Maroon said:

Any updates on Nicky Low? As of Sunday he will be an Arbroath player again, Would be a brilliant boost to have him back running the show in the middle of the park until the end of the season at least, Just hoping that any falling out can be resolved ⚽🇱🇻🔥

He won’t play for the club again 

33 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Shanks going to the HL would be pointless imo. Unless it was to Brechin, Brora or another of the few at the pointy end. As already stated a L2 team or even lower half L1 would be a much better move for us and him.

Peterhead are crying out for a striker. Heard Davie Robertson been very active in his searching for players and will sign a few very early on in the window. Shanks could be a good fit there in my opinion although it will be a tough gig.

Agreed needs to play higher than HL if he's got any aspirations of finding his way in the Championship 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

He won’t play for the club again 

I fear you may be right, Not the way it should have ended especially after last seasons success and the part he played in helping keep us up the season before, We need that type of talent, passion & commitment again 🇱🇻⚽🔥

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Peterhead are crying out for a striker. Heard Davie Robertson been very active in his searching for players and will sign a few very early on in the window. Shanks could be a good fit there in my opinion although it will be a tough gig.

Agreed needs to play higher than HL if he's got any aspirations of finding his way in the Championship 

Heard he might be going to Peterhead on loan along with another one of our soon to be out of contract players

I think Arbroath should avoid the fan-fare announcements of any new signings, yes, announce any new arrivals, but with minimum fuss as the fan-fare type announcements for the summer signings has not ended well .............with the exception of Allan and Oakley I think all will released in January.

Shanks needs to go on loan to either an Angus club or a team in the 1st or 2nd Div - he was signed as a development player and he needs to be loaned out to develop as a player - he is not ready to play at this level (yet).

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Heard he might be going to Peterhead on loan along with another one of our soon to be out of contract players

Nice. I've seen Peterhead a few times this season and they are so light up top it's beyond a joke. So much so that Mikey Hewitt (RB) has been playing there at times.

Shanks alongside Rusty could form a partnership. They need a creative centre mid as well. 

Sounds like you will be active both outgoings and incomings. Haven't heard a peep from us

2 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I think Arbroath should avoid the fan-fare announcements of any new signings, yes, announce any new arrivals, but with minimum fuss as the fan-fare type announcements for the summer signings has not ended well .............with the exception of Allan and Oakley I think all will released in January.

Shanks needs to go on loan to either an Angus club or a team in the 1st or 2nd Div - he was signed as a development player and he needs to be loaned out to develop as a player - he is not ready to play at this level (yet).

Shanks must’ve been buzzing to get signed in the summer it’s ashame how bad we’ve been and how much it’ll have affected him and his minutes. If he was here last year he’d have seen much more time on the park and enjoyed them a whole lot more too. I know we’ve all been critical of the team but all the players have worked hard and given it their all they’ve been badly let down by the management and it can’t have been enjoyable so far, it’s a big commitment and a lot of travelling so when times are tough it must be miserable. 

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Nice. I've seen Peterhead a few times this season and they are so light up top it's beyond a joke. So much so that Mikey Hewitt (RB) has been playing there at times.

Shanks alongside Rusty could form a partnership. They need a creative centre mid as well. 

Sounds like you will be active both outgoings and incomings. Haven't heard a peep from us

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Aye but you’re doing away ok I’d much rather be in your position than ours. We need a complete overhaul or were destined for doom

14 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I asked about Hewitt a few days ago and no one mentioned he’d been playing up front! How’d he get on out of interest? 

Think we might take him back in January as we are struggling for cover in midfield and at the back. 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye but you’re doing away ok I’d much rather be in your position than ours. We need a complete overhaul or were destined for doom

The overhaul midway through does seem drastic but now needed. Notoriously hard window to operate in but a couple of able signings could have a huge impact. You've picked up a few very good ones in the past. Ciftci and McNulty have past pedigree. Very interested to see how they would fair if you do end up signing them.

We're doing alright, progressed as the games have gone on but this feels like a transitionary season for us; we have lots of loans (5) and 1 year deals so not an ideal situation for us, things can change and we are slightly vulnerable too. I can't see many change with us. Keep hold of our loans and doubt we'll add more than 2, 3 max.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I asked about Hewitt a few days ago and no one mentioned he’d been playing up front! How’d he get on out of interest? 

Think we might take him back in January as we are struggling for cover in midfield and at the back. 

He's been alright when I've seen him.  Was playing centre mid against Mo and in a more advanced role in a few other games. Clearly not his forte. Hard to say whether the loan has been beneficial to him except for fitness. Peterhead's struggles are well known, struggling to field a team or consistent starting XI. Tough times. 

34 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I think Cove will be fine. I reckon a comfortable 6th or 7th place finish. I fear we’re destined for 9th at best but that may be ok so long as we sign a goal threat or two.

Alternatively ICT or Raith could be dragged into things.

We should be ok given our points tally so far but who knows what will happen with our loans. If they get recalled we need to fill the holes then it will be interesting. I definitely don't feel as confident with McIntyre in charge compared to Hartley.

A 6th or 7th place finish under McIntyre. His head wouldn't fit through the door! 

Playoffs would be nerve racking. Definitely see Arbroath signing better this window than the last. There's cash in the bank and although you don't want to splash it excessively it's available to be put to good use.