The Arbroath Thread

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Our first choice back 4 and Gaston have been excellent all season

Hoti and Gold 

Fosu and Corfe on the wing 😂

Shanks and Isiaka upfront 😂

Back 5 are as good as any.

The rest would struggle  in 2nd division. I'm sorry but thats a fact.

Edited by Hayshead2

I will hold my hands up here and now, i f#cked up by saying play all our fringe players to prove a point.

Holly sh#t i never realised how poor they were (apart from Shank's who tried his best and gave 100%) but DC should have played a stronger midfield than he did as we were just totally overan there.

Yes it is a Micky Mouse Cup but imo with the World Cup on we should have played it on Thursday night for a bigger crowd and DC should have started maybe 2 or 3 fringe players insted of 5 of them and please tell me why on earth we signed Corfe as the least i want out any player is EFFORT!! 

I don't even blame (most) of the players.  I blame the management for the way he set that team up, again. It was a mess.  Its a mess every week.  And every time he seems to learn a lesson (Morton second half), its like he wipes it from his mind.

Regrettably, I don't think its just new players we need...

Yeah and Dick will smuggly say “I telt ye” as a get it right up ye to the fans because it’s all our fault for having the temerity to want a team to compete and consolidate our place in the league - how fucking dare we!!

Well Dick it was YOU that signed all the shit of the day, and the board that backed you, and the club that proudly announced them on the website and Facebook page as the fans shook their collective heads and thought “is this IT????” All that success, all that money, all that high profile, all those cheeky wee interviews with the local and national media, all gone on sub standard pish.

God knows what fucking shite left-field punts we’re getting in the January window.

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah and Dick will smuggly say “I telt ye” as a get it right up ye to the fans because it’s all our fault for having the temerity to want a team to compete and consolidate our place in the league - how fucking dare we!!

Well Dick it was YOU that signed all the shit of the day, and the board that backed you, and the club that proudly announced them on the website and Facebook page as the fans shook their collective heads and thought “is this IT????” All that success, all that money, all that high profile, all those cheeky wee interviews with the local and national media, all gone on sub standard pish.

God knows what fucking shite left-field punts we’re getting in the January window.

Yes dick signed all the shite but my god it seems like you and a few other boys can't wait to have a go at dick

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Ffs, 

4 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Obviously with having 2 strikers on we missed the creative midfield passes.

What happened to Jacobs that he was only on for 15 minutes ?

Injury. Didn’t see how it happened but he just went down and asked to be subbed. He had actually looked our best player for the limited time he was on 

Ok so my last post was a bit OTT.

I was just furious at getting pumped 5-1 at home. But yeah, it’s a crappy tournament and we’re better off out of it anyway. If anything, it certainly clarified why some players are getting no or limited gametime.

My position on Dick Campbell is clear - I think he has been amazing for us and there is no one I would rather see get us out of this hole. I certainly don’t take any pleasure in criticising him. He has been largely responsible for, barring a few notable exceptions, my best experiences as a fan. And I will take where we currently are any day of the week over scrapping it out for points and league position v Albion Rovers or Stenny etc.

Now that it is apparent that he’s here until at least the end of the season, I will (try) to give him and the rest of the management team my 100% backing and support.

29 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Obviously with having 2 strikers on we missed the creative midfield passes.

What happened to Jacobs that he was only on for 15 minutes ?

This touches on one of the things I think some of our fans seem to overlook..... a football team only has 11 players in it. Some people seem to want us to play 2 up top and wingers while also winning the midfield battle and offering good protection to the defence and creating chances.

If we don't play 3 in central midfield, with the players we have, we get overrun.

If we don't play someone upfront who can hold the ball OR make runs in behind (with what we have, only Hilly can hold ball up and only Bobby can offer runs in behind) then we will never get out of our own half. It doesn't matter how many we play up top (it should always be 1 IMO), as we saw last night with 2 front men, it doesn't matter if we play 10 up top, if none of them can hold the ball or run in behind its a waste of time.

In our midfield three, we need a proper balance. One sitter, one runner, one creator. The management spoke about that balance last season and we got it spot on, this year the balance in the centre of the park has been miles off. It's also wild to me that people get pissed off with the sitter playing sideways passes, and the creative player trying to create and not tackling/ getting fully stuck in. It's about having a balance and players playing their role in a balanced team. Yesterday was an eye opener to anyone who thinks we should be playing two up top or thinks we don't need 3 central midfielders... unfortunately there seem to be quite a few people who just want to criticise everything (even when the management do as they suggest!) and it doesn't matter what formation we play/ players we use the manager is 'wrong'.

I honestly feel so sorry for our defence, especially in games like last night. If you're Hammy or Oakley and you look up and there's no winger offering, there's no central midfield option offering and there's no striker who can win and hold the ball or make runs in behind, just two fairly static objects. What can they do other than hook balls into channels or play it sideways/ backwards for someone else to launch? It's not the fault of the player unable to find the forward pass when there is f**k all infront of them to work with.

Dick has made some dreadful signings and the squad is lacking in almost every area, however our starting 11 isn't far off it at all. We only need a couple of players to sort the balance of the team, and we need to play a proper 4-5-1 formation with two attacking wide players, 3 central midfielders in the correct roles and a proper striker who can get us up the fucking park.

At the Q&A pink said we have not signed players from the lower leagues of Scotland because they aren't good enough. You cannot tell me that signing players like Fosu from dog and duck FC is any better. I'm willing to give the campbells January but please, please go back to signing the kind of players that has gotten us to where we are. 

11 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

At the Q&A pink said we have not signed players from the lower leagues of Scotland because they aren't good enough

Aye even from a QP perspective, that’s a wild statement that lower leagues in Scotland haven’t got suitable players to play in this league. We recruited Grant Savoury from a lower league 1 side in Peterhead in the summer and he’s been a star in the championship. We’ve also recruited from Cambuslang Rangers in the summer which has worked well and now we’re signing a boy from Arthurlie in January 

It’s just about finding the right players. Just seems like really lazy scouting with a hint of arrogance from the coaching team to rule out all the leagues below championship 

Edited by qpfc

10 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I will hold my hands up here and now, i f#cked up by saying play all our fringe players to prove a point.

Holly sh#t i never realised how poor they were (apart from Shank's who tried his best and gave 100%) but DC should have played a stronger midfield than he did as we were just totally overan there.

Yes it is a Micky Mouse Cup but imo with the World Cup on we should have played it on Thursday night for a bigger crowd and DC should have started maybe 2 or 3 fringe players insted of 5 of them and please tell me why on earth we signed Corfe as the least i want out any player is EFFORT!! 

I’m afraid Shanks just isn’t good enough. We wanted Hester away and he’s much better than Shanks. That’s the reality of it 

While we all accept that most of the fringe players are not of the quality required to play for Arbroath, it is totally wrong to personally criticize them - they are football players who were offered an opportunity to play at a higher level, it's not their fault they are not good enough to play at this level - I am sure they would be very good players in Div 1 or 2.

DC took a high risk chance and offered them deals ( presumably on the advice of some talent scout or contact) - but clearly they are not up to the level required.

In January these players will be released and I wish them well in finding a club at their playing level ( perhaps Scottish Div 2).

Oakley and Bitsindov have been good signings and if we can get more consistency from both Tait and Fosu they could prove to be good signings too.

There is very little margin for error in January - get this wrong and we are deep in a dog fight relegation, get the right deals done and we can look at slowly getting out of this mess.

We have so,me of the best players in this league - Gaston, Linn, Little, Gold, MeKenna, TOB etc - these players will play a key role in getting us out of this mess ( provided DC gets the right signings in Jan).

Surely DC will have  wish list of players and is already networking and making contact with clubs, agents and perhaps players who are free agents - surely the board will be speaking to DC, asking what players he has identified and looking at the viability of these new players.

Perhaps getting humiliated is the wake up call DC needs - he won't like being the laughing stock of this league and having his reputation tarnished.

We can get out of this mess for sure - but it will all depend on what happens in January, very little room for error in this window.

Edited by clashcityrocker