The Arbroath Thread

22 hours ago, ahfpjim said:

So what happens if we sign a striker in January will we give him a few months to adjust .

Of course but again it’s not just him it affects, out of the midfield it’ll definitely affect Allan the most because that’s his game but other midfielders still have similar problems. Tait is constantly caught on the ball, Jacobs too. McKenna also having a problem of being isolated with nobody near him a lot. It’s not just affecting Allan so hopefully a proper number 9 and a couple of different options out wide helps the midfield out as a whole and takes some of the load off Bobby

Only 2 league games left before the transfer windows opens - but we also play Dundee on 2nd Jan.

Traditionally this window is normally low key, with little happening - but this year will be different and talks and networking for players has probably been ongoing for sometime.

Would expect around 4-5 new players incoming - with a few outgoing too.

Might also need some patience as some of these signings don't tend to happen until the very last week in January - meaning we will be playing games in January without potential new signings and players will take longer to gel into the squad at training.

I am optimistic we will bring in the players required.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

Only 2 league games left before the transfer windows opens - but we also play Dundee on 2nd Jan.

Traditionally this window is normally low key, with little happening - but this year will be different and talks and networking for players has probably been ongoing for sometime.

Would expect around 4-5 new players incoming - with a few outgoing too.

Might also need some patience as some of these signings don't tend to happen until the very last week in January - meaning we will be playing games in January without potential new signings and players will take longer to gel into the squad at training.

I am optimistic we will bring in the players required.

I think now with the World Cup having given teams time off etc a lot of these deals could be basically done and agreed already. Pink mentioned we’ve had boys from other clubs in training on trial with us I’m sure 

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

How’s the weather up in Arbroath, any thoughts on the game going ahead or not?

We have a hotel booked in Dundee for the night, which is only cancellable up to midnight tonight, so I guess we are having a night in Dundee regardless 😆

It’s cold but I don’t expect the game to be in any doubt. Just wrap up warm 

10 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Cheers mate, good to hear. Layers are ready.

And Cowdenbeath game on the way home on Saturday weather permitting, what a weekend of footy.

Not good for Cowden just now. Can’t see them being back in the leagues anytime soon 

11 hours ago, Hayshead2 said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Why is the Dunfermline Cup game being played tomorrow/Friday night.??

In the pub watching Holland Vs Argentina or freezing cold watching (probably) Arbroath Reserves vs Dunfermline Reserves...A tough choice 

A noon kick off tomorrow would have been better. Wouldn’t have clashed with any of the World Cup and would save the club some money by not putting the floodlights on. Would also have meant our lads wouldn’t need to do a day of work before playing 90 minutes. 

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

A noon kick off tomorrow would have been better. Wouldn’t have clashed with any of the World Cup and would save the club some money by not putting the floodlights on. Would also have meant our lads wouldn’t need to do a day of work before playing 90 minutes. 

I consider it really odd and counterproductive for Arbroath to rearrange games for Friday evenings. It reduces potential attendance, it slightly disadvantages parttime players and also regular Lichtie supporters travelling up.  They’ve done it again for the league game against Queens Park in a fortnight.  Seems close to shooting yourself in the foot

Edited by farflung lichtie

2 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

I consider it really odd and counterproductive for Arbroath to rearrange games for Friday evenings. It reduces potential attendance, it slightly disadvantages parttime players and also regular Lichtie supporters travelling up.  They’ve done it again for the league game against Queens Park in a fortnight.  Seems close to shooting yourself in the foot

I think every game that was scheduled for Xmas eve in the lower leagues have been moved. I think it’s so the players aren’t driving long distances home the day before Xmas. I understand why all teams have done that.