The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, Fifelichtie said:

What would that say about the manager's judgement giving him a 2 year contract on £1800 a week ? 

Obviously it was a gamble bringing him here which hasn't worked out so far, it might yet. When he was announced coming here didn't hear any criticism from the fans who on the contrary were mainly delighted. 

13 minutes ago, keptie said:

Obviously it was a gamble bringing him here which hasn't worked out so far, it might yet. When he was announced coming here didn't hear any criticism from the fans who on the contrary were mainly delighted. 

I agree with this 100%. My concern is that there is no way we should be paying any player that kind of money. 

Thanks for the eating recommendations up thread, will check them out (well, the wife will!).

It’s looking baltic on Friday evening, around freezing at 9pm, I take it the ground being where it it is, the game will have a good chance of going ahead though? My only previous visit to Gayfield was much warmer. 😬

5 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Thanks for the eating recommendations up thread, will check them out (well, the wife will!).

It’s looking baltic on Friday evening, around freezing at 9pm, I take it the ground being where it it is, the game will have a good chance of going ahead though? My only previous visit to Gayfield was much warmer. 😬

Games are rarely postponed at Gayfield due to the cold and yes, because of the location, the pitch will more than likely be fine.

Edited by Tattie36

6 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

I’m coming up on Friday night for the Dunfermline game (neutral, but will be in the Arbroath end 😉) with missus and 11 year old daughter. 

Without wanting to turn this into tripadvisor, are there any decent pubs that do food or Italian restaurants in the town for a bite to eat before the game? Don’t mind if the pubs are a bit noisy, we’re regulars at football and daughter is well used to the rougher end of the language scale (being Cowden regulars 😄).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I think Coast or the Townhouse would be the best place to go personally. Even Spoons if you want something basic. 

On the game I really cannot be arsed with it it’s just good that we don’t have to do a league game this week and we will be a week closer to January. 

This game up against Netherlands v Argentina in the quarter finals of a World Cup… I know what I’d prefer 😂

9 hours ago, Fifelichtie said:

I agree with this 100%. My concern is that there is no way we should be paying any player that kind of money. 

I don't know what we are paying him and I doubt anyone else knows but I assume the board would have had to ok the deal and if they were happy with whatever we are paying him I'm ok with that. The board are doing a good job and seem to know what they are doing.

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Scott Allan is not a bad player.  Don't be like the people who said that our squad isn't even league 2 standard.

I was just making the point that Scott Allan is responsible for his poor form on the pitch you can't put that all on the manager. He is a good player, just not happening for him just now but hope he finds his form.

Edited by keptie

I thought it was a decent performance on Saturday and deserved the point and in fact could have won it in the end, the subs made a difference but for the life of me having our 2 proper strikers on the bench (Shanks and Isiaka) i could not believe the Gaffer brought on Corfe for Bobby and never went for the 3 points with putting another striker up top with Fosu who caused problems when he came on.

I was at the Q&A so know some of the reasons that some players are getting less game time than others and in the little game time i have seen Isiaka play he has actually looked decent, strong and direct so it is a mystery to me why he does not get more minutes under his belt and if anybody is telling me there is more chance in winning a game thrown Corfe on before Shanks and Isiaka then i am baffled.

I think Friday's game is the type of game to play the players that are not getting game time and just say "prove me wrong lads".   

I thought it was a decent performance on Saturday and deserved the point and in fact could have won it in the end, the subs made a difference but for the life of me having our 2 proper strikers on the bench (Shanks and Isiaka) i could not believe the Gaffer brought on Corfe for Bobby and never went for the 3 points with putting another striker up top with Fosu who caused problems when he came on.
I was at the Q&A so know some of the reasons that some players are getting less game time than others and in the little game time i have seen Isiaka play he has actually looked decent, strong and direct so it is a mystery to me why he does not get more minutes under his belt and if anybody is telling me there is more chance in winning a game thrown Corfe on before Shanks and Isiaka then i am baffled.
I think Friday's game is the type of game to play the players that are not getting game time and just say "prove me wrong lads".   

Corfe playing should be against the Geneva Convention

1800, as if we would ever be paying a player that much. Crazy these numbers that get flung about. Scott is obviously a good player, I was excited when we signed him and so far it just hasn't worked, he has shown flashes of what he can do but nowhere near enough. It doesn't help that he is a creative player and literally has not played with a recognised striker all season for him to hit, thread balls through, or play in behind for. Its sometimes his lack of desire and his attitude that annoys me. I'm not asking for him to run around kicking people but he needs to show more when the chips are down. Correct decision to take him off on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Smokerson said:

1800, as if we would ever be paying a player that much. Crazy these numbers that get flung about. Scott is obviously a good player, I was excited when we signed him and so far it just hasn't worked, he has shown flashes of what he can do but nowhere near enough. It doesn't help that he is a creative player and literally has not played with a recognised striker all season for him to hit, thread balls through, or play in behind for. Its sometimes his lack of desire and his attitude that annoys me. I'm not asking for him to run around kicking people but he needs to show more when the chips are down. Correct decision to take him off on Saturday.

Agree with all of this. It’s a big change to what he’s used to, never had a pre season as well after not playing for a long time too remember. He’s going to have to adapt his game, he clearly wants to play coming here and part time football is still a big commitment so if he wants to do well here he’s going to have to learn from the likes of Goldie, Mikey and Bobby etc if he wants to be a success.

We certainly have not helped him out, it’s a tough fkn gig he’s got but he has to improve the other side of his game to play in this division and that will hopefully come in time. He’s clearly lacking confidence too when he’s got too much time to think about things he seems to make a mess of it but when he doesn’t have that time he has produced some quality moments. 

I suppose it’ll show how much he wants it. I wish him all the best and would love for him to get a wee break and boost with something going for him. That volley on Saturday just going in or something… 

I remember some time ago that in an interview after he left Celtic and signed for Hamilton Accies, Danny McGrain said that he found it really difficult to adjust to the level of football at Hamilton. I think he only stayed for one season before retiring from the playing side of the game.

So maybe it's the same for Scott Allen. He gets caught on the ball when waiting for players to make runs into space and that just doesn't happen often enough. The long ball game we tend to play often bypasses the midfield and that makes it hard for him to be creative. So maybe it needs a change on both his part and the manager's tactics to get the best from him.  

Edited by SotesBornalichtie