The Arbroath Thread

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Last time we won a cup tie at Fraserburgh we drew Motherwell at home in the next round 😀

Aye, remember back then, when we had 35 year old Colin McGlashan up front, supported by 39 year old Tommy Bryce, changed days.

Now we play our ancient midfielder up front on his own.

59 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, remember back then, when we had 35 year old Colin McGlashan up front, supported by 39 year old Tommy Bryce, changed days.

Now we play our ancient midfielder up front on his own.

Bryce scored a flicked header IIRC

Bryce scored a flicked header IIRC
He did indeed. Earned us a 1-1 draw that night.

That was the 2nd time we had to face Motherwell as the original game was called off at HT when their manager complained to the referee that it was too windy.

Didnt seem to bother him that they had the wind in the first half shooting towards the Harbour End.

They were only winning 1-0 after their winger, just in front of the dugout hit a deep cross to the back post, only for the wind to take it and proceed to make it like Roberto Carlos had hit it and move it in every direction before nestling it in the top corner.

Panic ensued from the Motherwell bench knowing full well Arbroath would pepper the goal with shots in the 2nd half. Their manager couldnt get on the pitch quick enough to beg the ref to call the game off

14 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

He did indeed. Earned us a 1-1 draw that night.

That was the 2nd time we had to face Motherwell as the original game was called off at HT when their manager complained to the referee that it was too windy.

Didnt seem to bother him that they had the wind in the first half shooting towards the Harbour End.

They were only winning 1-0 after their winger, just in front of the dugout hit a deep cross to the back post, only for the wind to take it and proceed to make it like Roberto Carlos had hit it and move it in every direction before nestling it in the top corner.

Panic ensued from the Motherwell bench knowing full well Arbroath would pepper the goal with shots in the 2nd half. Their manager couldnt get on the pitch quick enough to beg the ref to call the game off

The lanky winger Derek Townsley got their goal that afternoon. I seem to remember the replay being postponed a few times as well 

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The lanky winger Derek Townsley got their goal that afternoon. I seem to remember the replay being postponed a few times as well 

Aye, waterlogged pitch down at Motherwell.  It was a bit of a notorious game, given we had an abandoned game, the second attempt, then 3 (iirc) cancelled replays before it was eventually played.  It was a good Motherwell team too, Andy Goram in goal, Billy Davies as manager, Ged Brannan, Townsley, Goodman, Lee McCulloch etc.

I also mind that the game got abandoned but nobody told the fans, and it wasnt until they sidled out and took the corner flags away that we realised the game was off!  

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, waterlogged pitch down at Motherwell.  It was a bit of a notorious game, given we had an abandoned game, the second attempt, then 3 (iirc) cancelled replays before it was eventually played.  It was a good Motherwell team too, Andy Goram in goal, Billy Davies as manager, Ged Brannan, Townsley, Goodman, Lee McCulloch etc.

I also mind that the game got abandoned but nobody told the fans, and it wasnt until they sidled out and took the corner flags away that we realised the game was off!  

Then all hell broke loose on the A92

On 29/11/2022 at 11:47, lichtie23 said:

Then all hell broke loose on the A92

As a result, I think they gathered up every police horse in north east Scotland for the replay!  To my young eyes, it looked like they had declared martial law in Arbroath.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Motherwell's population is only slightly bigger than Arbroath with a population of 32,000, but I am guessing a lot of their fan base is from nearby towns such as Wishaw, Bothwell and Uddingston - they certainly get good gates for a town with a population of only 32,000.

Last season I would have been confident of winning this match - but not feeling it this season.

6 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Motherwell's population is only slightly bigger than Arbroath with a population of 32,000, but I am guessing a lot of their fan base is from nearby towns such as Wishaw, Bothwell and Uddingston - they certainly get good gates for a town with a population of only 32,000.

Last season I would have been confident of winning this match - but not feeling it this season.

Would a returning Scotty Stewart & Jack Hamilton Season 3 change your mind? 🇱🇻⚽🔥💪🏆

Isn’t the population of Arbroath about 20,000? In which case I’d say that a population of 32,000 of more than “only slightly bigger”