The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I honestly feel sorry for Isiaka. Comes up here to play for the club, to try and get his career on the right track.

Lives in the town away from friends and family back down south.

Then is constantly on the bench.

Made 5 appearances. All as a sub. Grand total of 99 minutes since he joined at the start of September.

Then you see Corfe getting game after game........

Aye, same.  Its not fair.  If he'd been shite, it would be understandable, but he's barely had a chance.

After getting things very wrong in the past few weeks, Dick got his tactics and starting 11 spot on yesterday I thought..... You wouldn't think that seeing all the posts on here/ social media when the team was named dishing out abuse, then when we won the game (that presumably the majority of these people weren't in attendance at) there's absolute silence/ no positive comments whatsoever. By all means call him out when you think he's got things wrong, but there's far too many people who now refuse to see any sort of positive in any decisions Dick makes, or won't acknowledge it. People going on about 4-6-0 formations and 'no strikers' etc. - just absolute nonsense.

The reality is that the way we lined up yesterday got the best out of what we have at the club going forward. Bobby Linn being allowed to play a fairly free role, playing on the last man, with Scott Allan looking to feed him at every opportunity. As things stand, Scott Allan is the only player we have who can create good chances for strikers with his timing and weight of pass, and Bobby Linn is the only attacking player we have who can give him the runs/ movement required infront of him. It's blindingly obvious to me that you need to play the two of them together every single week. Having Scott Allan, giving him no runners/ nothing to aim for and asking him to get involved in a midfield battle as we've previously done when we've dropped Bobby and put Allan in central midfield is fucking lunacy. So far for the majority of his game time, Allan's been asked to play in a lineup that negates his best qualities and play a role which highlights his deficiences in terms of tracking/ tackling etc and I really hope after yesterday this stops and we can start at least trying to use him properly. With the proper players infront of him/ around him he'll create good quality chances every single game.

I think there’s enough positives to take out of yesterday. I was disappointed to see Shanks and Isiaka not starting but as we all seen starting Bobby up front won us the game. Thought Allan did ok in difficult conditions but was more impressed with Bitsindou if I’m honest. Back 4 looked solid enough. From what I remember Fraserburgh had one cleared off the line at the start but didn’t threaten Gaston for the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully a wee confidence boost for the lads going forward starting with Morton at Gayfield on Saturday. 

28 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

After getting things very wrong in the past few weeks, Dick got his tactics and starting 11 spot on yesterday I thought..... You wouldn't think that seeing all the posts on here/ social media when the team was named dishing out abuse, then when we won the game (that presumably the majority of these people weren't in attendance at) there's absolute silence/ no positive comments whatsoever. By all means call him out when you think he's got things wrong, but there's far too many people who now refuse to see any sort of positive in any decisions Dick makes, or won't acknowledge it. People going on about 4-6-0 formations and 'no strikers' etc. - just absolute nonsense.

The reality is that the way we lined up yesterday got the best out of what we have at the club going forward. Bobby Linn being allowed to play a fairly free role, playing on the last man, with Scott Allan looking to feed him at every opportunity. As things stand, Scott Allan is the only player we have who can create good chances for strikers with his timing and weight of pass, and Bobby Linn is the only attacking player we have who can give him the runs/ movement required infront of him. It's blindingly obvious to me that you need to play the two of them together every single week. Having Scott Allan, giving him no runners/ nothing to aim for and asking him to get involved in a midfield battle as we've previously done when we've dropped Bobby and put Allan in central midfield is fucking lunacy. So far for the majority of his game time, Allan's been asked to play in a lineup that negates his best qualities and play a role which highlights his deficiences in terms of tracking/ tackling etc and I really hope after yesterday this stops and we can start at least trying to use him properly. With the proper players infront of him/ around him he'll create good quality chances every single game.

I’ll hold my hands up to bring one of the posters you’re talking about and I’ll happily admit I was wrong. Still think we should have it started with a more attacking formation though. It’s certainly nice to wake up with that winning feeling again.

There’s a very big difference between Fraserburgh and a confident Morton though so not sure if the same approach will work. Linn up front on his own will be meat and drink for Morton’s defence I fear.

Amazing to think that it’s almost exactly a year since we beat Morton 2-1 at home (in the fog) to go top of the league. What a difference a year makes.

Hopefully yesterday’s moral boosting win will spur us on to a good performance and positive result.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Sorry Simon but I think your taking just a bit too much positivity from yesterday. 

Felt we were hanging on for large parts of the 2nd half and that Fraserburgh shaded the first.  Going into the closing stages we could have easily conceded an equaliser. 

2.0 flattered and they were no great shakes.

Totally agree with your analysis on the Bobby / Scott Allan combination. Sadly in an attacking sense, there's not an awful lot else good to report just now. 

One swallow and all that. Let's see what Saturday brings......

Yesterday was always going to be a lose/lose situation regardless of outcome so a win & being in the hat for the next round was all that mattered.

but tie played in difficult conditions? Is that any different to Gayfield…….?

A team at the top end of the Highland League? Inverurie Locos have won twice at Bellslea this season.

Scott Allan? Should have the experience to pull the strings in midfield from start to finish, not just play 1 killer pass. How many times does he give the ball away?
He doesn’t always see the runs forwards make nor play it forward quickly enough to get the team up the pitch let alone make attempts at getting beyond the lone striker.

Furthermore, he moaned & moaned again at Shanks for simply passing to him instead of playing for a foul. Most likely would have moaned if Shanks had won a foul & not passed to him……….

I said 4-6-0. Was I really wrong? I agree that Scott Allan through balls to Bobby Linn is our main (only) attacking threat, and I love to see a pair of intelligent footballers combine. It’s a bit disappointing though that no one else is making the runs for Allan.
Dick put our best 11 out yesterday? Maybe if we agree neither fit striker is capable of playing against a highland league team.
McKenna is wasted trying to play centre forward and Hoti was not good. Great to see Bitsindou back - not his best game but he did his job and got an assist.

Positivity? It’s great to get a win and be in the next round of the cup. Cmon the Lichties.

2 hours ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

Scott Allan? Should have the experience to pull the strings in midfield from start to finish, not just play 1 killer pass. How many times does he give the ball away?
He doesn’t always see the runs forwards make nor play it forward quickly enough to get the team up the pitch let alone make attempts at getting beyond the lone striker.

Furthermore, he moaned & moaned again at Shanks for simply passing to him instead of playing for a foul. Most likely would have moaned if Shanks had won a foul & not passed to him……….

My fear is, you are never going to get the best out of a luxury player like Allan in a team like this.

No-one passes and moves, more pass the buck is the game we play.

The long ball constantly bypassing out most creative player

Why we are still playing with one man upfront, rather than trying to chance the tactics to suit the players we have is down to DC and his tactics. He got away with it with Nouble and Hamilton, both are long gone.

1 100% get it, hit it long, big `Nouble who is fast and strong is going to put fear into the opposition 

Doing this against Morton, is like a day off for the Morton defence, whoever plays up top has to run about between 4 defenders to try and put them under some kind of pressure. 

McKenna being played in that role is a waste of what McKenna can do, and anyone else up top who are not big target men.

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Some of our support will never be happy. Tricky tie in difficult conditions on a heavy pitch against a team at the top end of the Highland League. Safely through 

Spin it any way you like. 

The direction of travel just now ain't great !