The Arbroath Thread

13 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

The board have made a big mistake with that statement. 

Shouting abuse at players, officials and managers is pretty standard football fare, has been for generations. It is not personal, it's about frustration at players who are not up to standard, same goes for officials and managers and it isn't going to change. But it seems that these days everyone is so easily offended.

Football has traditionally been a working man's game. Football fans are passionate about the game and their team, that's why they turn out in all weathers, season on season, putting money into their club with ticket sales and merchandise. The improvements at Gayfield have been partly funded by a legacy to the club in a supporter's will. So the board should not underestimate the people who keep the club alive. 

The "F" word is now acceptable in the media. We see it in print, in movies and on television in our homes, yet it is unacceptable to be use in a moment of passion at a football match? Well "F" that.

The board may feel that statements like that one are necessary to show the world their political correct, do not offend attitude, but If they  want Gayfield to become an inoffensive, politically correct place they are on a slippery slope and attendances will drop..

So the board should man up and accept that bad language and political incorrectness are part and parcel of the game experience and won't be going away in the near future.  

Very well put. 

If what happened on Saturday was that terrible something would have been said before Tuesday night.

It does reek of they can’t hack being criticised. the amount of season tickets sold off the back off last season was incredible and this is now our level, none of this punching above our weight pish. We need to get the finger out as if we get relegated it’ll be a struggle to come back. 

the frustration with the Campbells decisions, team selection and subbies is justified, baffling tactics and poor standard of recruitments, it’s his mess. He was acting the big time Charlie in the media last year, he needs to take on the criticism now and can’t hack it. 

the same core of around 50 guys have been at away games for years and I’ve heard some questionable shouts etc but that’s football, and in years down the line if things arent going as well it’ll be those same 50 guys there, and the “new fans” will be back to doing on a Saturday whatever they were doing before last season. If you are offended by a few shouts away to dobbies for a cuppy on a Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by A.K. Barr

I had a look at the club FB page and the comments on the statement are almost exclusively from happy clappers in support of the statement and the clubs position “no place for this in football”, “family club”, “punching above our weight” type pish.

We deserve more than this.

Edited by Tattie36

I had a look at the club FB page and the comments on the statement are almost exclusively from happy clappers in support of the statement and the clubs position “no place for this in football”, “family club”, “punching above our weight” type pish.
We deserve more than this.

Never seen half of them at gayfield in my puff , all new fans who know nothing but success unlike the fans that AK Barr has mentioned, been there and the best and worst times and will be there for many years to come when every else has pissed off

9 minutes ago, Biglichtie74 said:

Never seen half of them at gayfield in my puff , all new fans who know nothing but success unlike the fans that AK Barr has mentioned, been there and the best and worst times and will be there for many years to come when every else has pissed off

Yeah agree but some of the comments I’ve read seem to think all the critics are new fans expecting constant and increased success. We all know that’s bullshlt and that it’s mostly the long term, long suffering fans.

Edited by Tattie36

There was about 1700 home fans at the last match at Gayfield after 4/5 months of some of the worst football I’ve ever seen I’m not sure anyone is going anywhere, there have always been happy clapper fans from as long as I can remember and they’re not exclusive to Arbroath they are there right the way through from Rangers and Celtic down to Albion Rovers and Stranraer. 

Also has anyone actually got in touch with the club mentioning anxiety etc or what? Like that’s a really bizarre thing to say? Or is this just something the club have decided to put out there?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

This “punching above our weight” bullshit need to stop too. This is our 4th straight season in the Championship, 2 of which have been at the pointy end. We also have crowds and season ticket sales to rival any club in the league aside from Dundee and Partick. I’m sure our hospitality and corporate incomes are a match for most too.

We also now have a modern stadium and number of players who are essentially full-time.

There seems to be a section of our support/folk on the town that will always see us as a wee League 2 team with 500 fans just because that’s what we used to be. And that we should be grateful for the occasional foray up the leagues until we assume our proper place with Albion Rovers and Stenny.

Using this approach, then Ross County will forever be a tiny HL side and Livingston might as well still be Ferranti Thistle. Aye and Cove and Bonnyrigg can just piss off back to the Juniors while we’re at it.

Edited by Tattie36

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also has anyone actually got in touch with the club mentioning anxiety etc or what? Like that’s a really bizarre thing to say? Or is this just something the club have decided to put out there?

I must confess I suffer from anxiety,  every time I read a team sheet or prepare myself for the next batch of substitutions coming on the park !

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

We also now have a modern stadium and number of players who are essentially full-time.

Couple of guys staying in a flat, is hardly full time players. Ones on loan, from a full time club, others are here from London, stay in the same flat and simply train on their own. Maybe to try and give themselves half a chance of making it. What else are they going to do, jerk off all day.

Because they are stuck up here in a flat, doesnt mean we have players who are essentially full time. They train together through the week, outwith our 1 hour sessions we have at our normal training sessions.

Our highest earner in Scott Allan, is part time and trains part time with the club.

Lets not kid ourselves we are pulling in full time players.

Improvement to the stadium is apparent for sure, but realistically its a tidy up job and brought up to the 20th century nothing more.

Looking ahead to Saturday I’d like to see us go with Isiaka and Shanks up front. If they can’t do anything against a highland league side then we are in deeper trouble than I probably thought. Also think it’s a big game for Allan, he should absolutely stroll this. If he doesn’t…….then there’s another issue. Gold, Hilson & TOB all injured on Saturday so could see then rested. Our back line could look very strange! 

Is there segregation on Saturday? 

Everyone and their dug, fans of all clubs getting involved online, social media etc

Story in the National and local papers

Over a whole lot of petty nonsense that happens at grounds every week

A whole lot of bad energy, saw how far a good and positive feeling could take us last year well I feel like we’re slap bang in the middle of a complete and utter derailment and it’s been a slow slow build up to this point after months of poor decisions and comments from the gaffer

A terrible decision to release a statement like that, it’s ironic that the clubs hashtag is togetherness 

9 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Pity it’s the 21st century.😇

I think what he’s saying is that Gayfield now is no better than grounds were last century.

Obviously he never went to any games back then as there were very few grounds in Scotland then with facilities anything like what we have.

Yes there were some cracking old grounds then with great character and atmosphere but to compare what we have now to utter health hazard dumps back then like Easter Road, Tynecastle, Dens, Celtic Park, Hampden, Muirton, Starks Park etc etc is some stretch.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Looking ahead to Saturday I’d like to see us go with Isiaka and Shanks up front. If they can’t do anything against a highland league side then we are in deeper trouble than I probably thought. Also think it’s a big game for Allan, he should absolutely stroll this. If he doesn’t…….then there’s another issue. Gold, Hilson & TOB all injured on Saturday so could see then rested. Our back line could look very strange! 

Is there segregation on Saturday? 

Yeah there’s a home end and an away section 

Scott Allan will never stroll a single game for us, he would’ve last season but his whole game is playing passes forward and playing in the final third. There is nobody out wide or upfront for him to pass to and we are very rarely in the final third 

Would be keen to go with 2 upfront though 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah there’s a home end and an away section 

Scott Allan will never stroll a single game for us, he would’ve last season but his whole game is playing passes forward and playing in the final third. There is nobody out wide or upfront for him to pass to and we are very rarely in the final third 

Would be keen to go with 2 upfront though 

I think we need to go 2 up top, and 2 natural strikers. Maybe with their movement Allan can do what he was brought here to do. Iv been harsh on him and in my opinion rightly so. The only thing I think he’s done was the ball through that lead to the goal to beat Hamilton, But I do agree he’s not got much ahead of him. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that he should be doing more though. Maybe this is the turning point for him, and I REALLY hope it is. A win over a highland league team might not surprise many but it could just be the spark we need to hit a bit of form in December. 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I think we need to go 2 up top, and 2 natural strikers. Maybe with their movement Allan can do what he was brought here to do. Iv been harsh on him and in my opinion rightly so. The only thing I think he’s done was the ball through that lead to the goal to beat Hamilton, But I do agree he’s not got much ahead of him. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that he should be doing more though. Maybe this is the turning point for him, and I REALLY hope it is. A win over a highland league team might not surprise many but it could just be the spark we need to hit a bit of form in December. 

Same goes for our other midfielders too by the way not just for Allan. They have the same problems, they are just able to do the other side of the game a million times better than what Allan can, Allan tries but he’s not got the same engine as our other midfield players and defensively he’s basically a man down. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Same goes for our other midfielders too by the way not just for Allan. They have the same problems, they are just able to do the other side of the game a million times better than what Allan can, Allan tries but he’s not got the same engine as our other midfield players and defensively he’s basically a man down. 

Totally agree. I think if we were to analyse our team in depth this season we would come to the conclusion that the midfield is losing the battle. Is that because we are missing Chris Hamilton this season? I don’t think that’s wrong too say. I like the energy Goldy provides but he’s not been great this season, Fosu has been below average, Tait has shown flashes but disappears to often for my liking. Apart from Gaston I think Bobby has been our best player this season. We also massively miss Scotty Stewart. Iv heard he is still a bit away from returning as well unfortunately.