The Arbroath Thread

It would be inconceivable to think that the management team at Gayfield don't already have a list of players who they hope to recruit in January - I would expect they have a list of double fiqures of potential targets and have surely been in advance  talks with the relevant parties involved.

Realistically, I think 4-5 new players will be incoming and a few will be released.

It's highly possible they will be fringe who we have never heard of - who had heard of Lee Erwin or Ben Williamson before they joined Arbroath ?

If DC can get the right deals done in January, settle on a regular starting 11 and formation then we can start climbing out of this mess - get things wrong and relegation could be a close call.

DC also needs to keep Bobby Linn on track - he is going to be a key player helping us out of this mess.

22 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Not sure but I know they were still on general sale the other day. If we’d been doing a bit better then we would have sold out easily. Fitba fans are fickle as we all know. Check out our website.

Even I’m not going and I live in Aberdeen and have friends from the Broch but I just need a break from the misery. Absolutely nailed on that we’re losing this and I can’t face another soul destroying Saturday afternoon at the moment.

I managed to get a ticket so will head up on Saturday. Tricky fixture as the Broch are a decent side but Arbroath should have more than enough. Expecting an away win.

Kind of kept off of this. I have found the football far too frustrating recently and it’s basically the same criticisms being rinsed and repeated each week as the same craziness in this shit show of a season keeps happening each week however… 

Just thought I’d have my tuppence worth after hearing that Dick said fans are being unrealistic 

How could you possibly even come away with that? There’s been absolutely zero expectations placed on him or the team. We have watched utter pish for 5 month now, our last home game we had 1800 there, lost a last minute goal and there was barely a squeak of criticism towards him or the team. 

The only time there has been any discontent from the terraces has been when he’s taken our best player by a million miles off the park and replaced him with Deri fkn Corfe

Is it too unrealistic to expect, after being backed big time by the board, to have a striker and wingers on the park, you know so we can be an actual football team? Is it too unrealistic to expect us to have done much better in the market? 

We signed young Aberdeen left backs to play in place of Bobby Linn our best player, that’s outrageous. 

Our best summer free agent signing is a 20 year old from the Highland League who we are practically relying on upfront, that’s if we actually decide to play with a striker. 

We took trialist after trialist on, fans could all tell they weren’t up to it. Is it too unrealistic to expect that our manager, who has years and years of experience in the Scottish Leagues to recognise that, something every single fan could see. Is it too unrealistic to expect that we do not sign these guys? 

Is it unrealistic to expect your extremely experienced manager not to make 5 batshit crazy substitutions every single week. When everyone and their dug can see what an unsettled unorganised mess we become every fucking time we do it. 

Is it too unrealistic to expect to see our star man and club legend playing football matches while he’s still clearly fit and able? Bobby has been the only single source of enjoyment any paying customer has had this season and DC seems to do everything he can do to take the guy off the park. Even going as far as benching him when Bobby himself had enough of it, purely out of spite. Nobody can tell me that is in the interest of the club, the fans or the team and players. We have NOTHING going forward without him just now.

Is it too unrealistic to expect to have a side who can actually venture into the oppositions half from time to time? This diamond midfield with McKenna (another central midfield player) and whoever uptop is absolutely chronic, anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. We have absolutely zero width or attacking presence on the park. It’s so easy to play against. Is it unrealistic to expect us to line up in a way that doesn’t make us look completely clueless. 

The fans are most definitely not unrealistic, all anyone wants to see is an actual football team. Yes the signings haven’t been great but we do have a lot of good players. We have a good good keeper we are strong in defence and we have some good midfielders. We will never get the best out of any of them though if we play with no strikers, no wide men and especially with no Bobby Linn on the park. 

Fucking play Bobby as much as he is physically able to, give Shanks a chance upfront, put someone out on the right wing. It cannot possibly get any worse than it is at the moment. It’s eye bleeding to watch and we never ever look like getting a result. Have a go at the very least and put out something that resembles a balanced football team on the park even if it means leaving some players on the bench 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Kind of kept off of this. I have found the football far too frustrating recently and it’s basically the same criticisms being rinsed and repeated each week as the same craziness in this shit show of a season keeps happening each week however… 

Just thought I’d have my tuppence worth after hearing that Dick said fans are being unrealistic 

How could you possibly even come away with that? There’s been absolutely zero expectations placed on him or the team. We have watched utter pish for 5 month now, our last home game we had 1800 there, lost a last minute goal and there was barely a squeak of criticism towards him or the team. 

The only time there has been any discontent from the terraces has been when he’s taken our best player by a million miles off the park and replaced him with Deri fkn Corfe

Is it too unrealistic to expect, after being backed big time by the board, to have a striker and wingers on the park, you know so we can be an actual football team? Is it too unrealistic to expect us to have done much better in the market? 

We signed young Aberdeen left backs to play in place of Bobby Linn our best player, that’s outrageous. 

Our best summer free agent signing is a 20 year old from the Highland League who we are practically relying on upfront, that’s if we actually decide to play with a striker. 

We took trialist after trialist on, fans could all tell they weren’t up to it. Is it too unrealistic to expect that our manager, who has years and years of experience in the Scottish Leagues to recognise that, something every single fan could see. Is it too unrealistic to expect that we do not sign these guys? 

Is it unrealistic to expect your extremely experienced manager not to make 5 batshit crazy substitutions every single week. When everyone and their dug can see what an unsettled unorganised mess we become every fucking time we do it. 

Is it too unrealistic to expect to see our star man and club legend playing football matches while he’s still clearly fit and able? Bobby has been the only single source of enjoyment any paying customer has had this season and DC seems to do everything he can do to take the guy off the park. Even going as far as benching him when Bobby himself had enough of it, purely out of spite. Nobody can tell me that is in the interest of the club, the fans or the team and players. We have NOTHING going forward without him just now.

Is it too unrealistic to expect to have a side who can actually venture into the oppositions half from time to time? This diamond midfield with McKenna (another central midfield player) and whoever uptop is absolutely chronic, anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. We have absolutely zero width or attacking presence on the park. It’s so easy to play against. Is it unrealistic to expect us to line up in a way that doesn’t make us look completely clueless. 

The fans are most definitely not unrealistic, all anyone wants to see is an actual football team. Yes the signings haven’t been great but we do have a lot of good players. We have a good good keeper we are strong in defence and we have some good midfielders. We will never get the best out of any of them though if we play with no strikers, no wide men and especially with no Bobby Linn on the park. 

Fucking play Bobby as much as he is physically able to, give Shanks a chance upfront, put someone out on the right wing. It cannot possibly get any worse than it is at the moment. It’s eye bleeding to watch and we never ever look like getting a result. Have a go at the very least and put out something that resembles a balanced football team on the park even if it means leaving some players on the bench 

100 fecking percent!

In my near 45 years of going to Gayfield, I can’t remember a team so lacking in invention, energy or spark. We are so one dimensional and predictable it’s unreal. Even in the darkest of dark days I can’t remember watching game after game with barely any efforts or fight. It’s the least we can expect.

If a team is admittedly lacking quality up front then just stick big physical guys there and cross the ball to them at every opportunity. Fitba history is littered with players of limited quality and ability scoring loads of goals. They have to be given the opportunity.

Edited by Tattie36

This can absolutely get in the sea.  I can't believe they released that.

Absolute brass neck with that. Dick does an interview slating the fans for being “unrealistic” and begs the board to do a statement asking the fans to stop complaining about his week in week out brain-dead decisions.
Absolute joke haha

That’s a really poorly judged statement from the club.

How about releasing one sometime in the last 8-10 weeks along the lines of:

“Everyone at the club shares the fans frustrations at how the season is going so far. Rest assured that as much as possible is being done behind the scenes to improve results and performances. We have every confidence that Dick Campbell, his coaching team and our talented squad of players (and Deri Corfe) are the right people for the job, and will turn this round in due course.

Please be patient and continue to give Arbroath Football Club the same wonderful support and backing you have given us over the years, we need it now more than ever.

‘Mon the Lichieeeeeesssss! And f*ck the Mo.

Signed The Board”

Absolute bullshit and hot air of course but at least it’s taking a bit of responsibility for the ongoing shambles and recognising the fans, very justified, concerns.

ETA not saying I condone arsehole behaviour and it should be called out but where is the pearl clutching when certain high profile fans behave horrifically at games?

Edited by Tattie36