The Arbroath Thread

Yeah I’ve been thinking about this a bit. Unless things are changed/fixed very soon then I could see us lose many of our best players and the ability to replace them with equivalent quality. Obviously age is catching up with some but others might just jump ship.
A team on a downward trajectory will be very unlikely to attract good players. Could easily see us slip down to mid/bottom League 1 or even League 2 (refuse to think of worse) in a few seasons if we don’t buck up.
I’m sure some will doubt that but it’s not that long ago that Dumbarton, Stirling, Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Falkirk and more recently Alloa, Dunfermline and QOTS were in the Championship. Some of them comfortably for many seasons.
The losing mentality becomes a habit very quickly.
I have feeling this will be Little's last season with us. Been trailing back and forth all over the country to play for us for 10 years now.

Young family, lots of travelling, pushing 34. Can aee him going to a WoSL team and playing more local or even just calling it a day.

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have feeling this will be Little's last season with us. Been trailing back and forth all over the country to play for us for 10 years now.

Young family, lots of travelling, pushing 34. Can aee him going to a WoSL team and playing more local or even just calling it a day.

Yep. We could quite easily have none of our current back 4 left come May. Oakley will be gone, Little and Hammy could leave or call it a day and ToB might fancy a change.

A huge problem for teams like us with no reserve or youth setup is that we have no depth or young guys coming through.

Yep. We could quite easily have none of our current back 4 left come May. Oakley will be gone, Little and Hammy could leave or call it a day and ToB might fancy a change.
A huge problem for teams like us with no reserve or youth setup is that we have no depth or young guys coming through.

We’re lucky to even have TOB this season. One of the best defenders in the country last season.

Any slither of hope I had of avoiding the drop was extinguished yesterday. That was such a depressing watch. Iv read the club report of the game and I think they must have been watching a different game. Was it 1 shot on goal for the 90 minutes? 

1 hour ago, keptie said:

God this thread is depressing. Some of the doomsdayers will have us in the highland league in 3 years.

We apparently already have a league 2 team, which I don't believe for a second.  Now I remember the last time we were relegated from division 1...now THAT was a league 2 team.  Stevie Fallon, Craig Feroz....anyone who says we are a league 2 team did not see or does not remember that squad.

We have good players there, the recruitment really wasnt that bad. Our manager isnt getting a tune out of them though.

53 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We apparently already have a league 2 team, which I don't believe for a second.  Now I remember the last time we were relegated from division 1...now THAT was a league 2 team.  Stevie Fallon, Craig Feroz....anyone who says we are a league 2 team did not see or does not remember that squad.

We have good players there, the recruitment really wasnt that bad. Our manager isnt getting a tune out of them though.

Apart from bringing in Jack Hamilton, since January, when we were top of the league, our recruitment has been woeful

This looks like Forfar all over again, Dick Campbell loves the limelight when it's all good like last year but hates criticism when the going gets tough.Correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure I watched a YouTube video at the start of the year Dick was saying he had turned back so many players I'm sure he said about 20!

Anyway SP is contracted till 2025 along with DC son's so you might have to pay a large amount cash to get your man.Saying that you have Scott Alan on a 3 year deal on silly money(I'm told)so might be best to pay him off first.

This looks like Forfar all over again, Dick Campbell loves the limelight when it's all good like last year but hates criticism when the going gets tough.Correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure I watched a YouTube video at the start of the year Dick was saying he had turned back so many players I'm sure he said about 20!
Anyway SP is contracted till 2025 along with DC son's so you might have to pay a large amount cash to get your man.Saying that you have Scott Alan on a 3 year deal on silly money(I'm told)so might be best to pay him off first.

Dont worry. We have plenty in the bank. 5 seasons in the Championship with the extra prize money, season tickets, higher sponsorship income and increased crowds has certainly helped.

Last published financials up until May 2021 had us with over £1m in the bank. And thats before we finished 2nd last season.

Even if Allan is on silly money (£1.4k p/w i have been told) we are not in any danger of financial meltdown.

14 hours ago, stan3600 said:

He did start Hilson. Hilson cannot play lone striker. Hilson is a trooper who gives 100% but not good enough at this level.

Sure lone striker and failing to change things up and try a different formation, given Hilsons 5ft 8 if lucky, hitting hopeless balls up top clearly isnt going to be everyones style. Infact it only works with bigger guys like Nouble or Hamilton.

That is on DC and his inability to change formation, or get the best out of players, the guy tactically is so poor, Hancock at left wing, when hes a centre half is nothing short of a joke. 

Mckenna has played that grim shift up top and failed as has many others, dont you think it might be a managerial tactical problem? Rather than a player problem.

We have much of the same starting 11 as last year, but the manager cant get anyone to play this season for one reason or another.

42 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Dont worry. We have plenty in the bank. 5 seasons in the Championship with the extra prize money, season tickets, higher sponsorship income and increased crowds has certainly helped.

Last published financials up until May 2021 had us with over £1m in the bank. And thats before we finished 2nd last season.

Even if Allan is on silly money (£1.4k p/w i have been told) we are not in any danger of financial meltdown.

I know your not in any financial trouble your club doing great off the pitch at the moment same as Montrose first time in a good few years we are pretty stable aswell and have some cash in the bank.

I think if DC was to go in the next few months you lot would go for Tam Courts if he was still available.SP wouldn't tarnish his reputation with Montrose going to you lot right now.I think he might end up at you at some point in his managerial just not straight from Montrose.

Can see Little being away, think having a family now will make that decision for him, he would go with most fans best wishes, absolute club legend,

Campbell will be a legend for everything he has done for us, you just hope he doesn't ruin it, Not one fan expected us to have a season like last,  but this season has been a mess on and off the pitch and he unfortunately has to take the blame, just like he got all the praise last season, 

Everyone's first choice would be for him to turn it around, but the recruitment last few windows has been awful, 

Like it's been said the club is in a good place off the pitch and the whole town seems to be behind them and there would be plenty good candidates to take over if things don't turn around 

It’s not just the recruitment that’s the problem although it’s obviously a big factor. It’s also the tactics; chopping and changing the lineup every week so no continuity; bizarre substitutions - 5 at once, too late in the game or too early, midfielders for strikers, taking off players playing well etc etc and most importantly imo, the refusal to play strikers.

I am convinced that if we had played with Linn and Shanks/Isiaka all game, every game then we would be sitting on at least 4 or 5 more points than now. Those extra few points could make all the difference come May.

Dick would be getting a lot more sympathy and patience if only he would play to win every game.

Edited by Tattie36