The Arbroath Thread

DC is definitely culpable for the poor recruitment and subsequent state of our squad (especially in forward positions). He should expect scrutiny and criticism but sadly in his interviews seems to object to this occurring.

I agree with many of the critical assessments of others on here but imo giving the manager the chance to get us out of this hole is the proper course. He’s got the best record of any Arbroath manager, he’s led us to some great triumphs and he’s due the time to try to sort it out.

5 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

DC hinted a few times in his interview that he is well aware of the need to bring in strikers and suggested changes will be incoming - I am confident we will have two new strikers in soon-ish ( but might not be until the January window).

Heard this time after time during the last transfer window and we all know how that ended up.

McNulty would work,  Griffiths or some other deadbeat,  no thanks  !!

Edited by DUAFC

Looking at both players records from last few seasons have been pretty poor so. Yes griffiths has his problems but not one team has wanted to keep McNulty after his loan spell which also raises red flags. 
Arbroath can’t be picky but taking either will probably be a punt which could be disastrous and will be on a healthy pay packet 

960C4FA8-B3EB-4BC1-9B89-92E7A717A8AF.png

D87E2C76-0176-47BB-951D-A72B3A69CD0D.png

Yes it would be a big punt taking one or both of those players but desperate times call for desperate measures. We are losing or drawing games by tiny margins so increasing the goal rate, by whatever means has to happen sooner rather than later.

The outlay in wages for short term contracts would be more than worth it if they helped keep us up. Yes it’s a risk but surely being relegated this season would be much worse financially.

21 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Only last season DC was picking up awards for manager of the month and we had Arbroath fans requesting selfie's with him and some going as far to wear copy-cat flat cap bunnetts - now we have some of these very same fans calling for him to resign...........

Next to Albert Henderson, DC is the club's most successful manager in living memory - we only narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premier league last season.

This season we have suffered injuries, suspensions, loss of form and to an extent recruited the wrong players ( Oakley, Allan, Tait and Bitsindou have all been very good signings).

The big problem was failing to recruit a Championship lever striker - this needs to be addressed urgently.

Last season, DC also made bizarre substitutions, but in the main avoided criticism due to the quality of players in both the starting 11 and on the bench ( we don't have the same luxury this season).

It's been a disappointing start to the season, we are now deep in relegation trouble, but I think DC can and will turn this around - we have already either beat or drew with all the best teams in this league and the players will start to click soon.

On Saturday Oakley, Linn, TOB, Ricky Little and Scott Allan all put in a great shift - but we are missing an experienced striker.

Regarding DC outburst to Linn, both these people are passionate about Arbroath, they hate losing and at the heat of the moment their frustration takes over - DC made the wrong call, he will know this and will be looking to put things right.

I think DC has achieved a lot at Gayfield and has made Arbroath the best part -time club in Scotland.

Yes, we are going through difficult times and DC has made frustrating errors and decisions - however, I think he will get things right soon, but a lot will depend on him recruiting a proven striker who can play at this level.

Well said. 100% Spot on.

1 hour ago, Blue-Toon said:

Jim Mcinally has resigned after 11 years in charge at Peterhead which makes Dick Campbell the longest serving manager in Scotland. How much longer will he hold this title?

Sir Stewart Petrie just behind DC as the longest serving Manager.

9 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Even if Dick does like a few of the players and wants to keep them on, they might not want to stay.

Fosu might fancy playing down south again closer to friends and family.

Isiaka will probably go.

Tait might not be good enough for Hibs but he may look to try get a move to another full time team (Falkirk, QP, etc) for a potential future move rather than stay at us.

Oakley was due to come up with another Birmingham player that fell through at the last minute. Player might want to go play closer to friends and family or Birmingham might want him playing at a higher level and recall him.

Hancock will either be recalled or want to go back and play elsewhere. At his age he should be playing often and he is not getting that here. Again another FT team might take him on for a future transfer.

Tait played for Hibs in League Cup I am sure so cannot play for anyone else this season

Tait played for Hibs in League Cup I am sure so cannot play for anyone else this season
You are right enough. And Hancock played for Aberdeen.

Oh wrll at least there is a chance both of them will probably stay till the end of the season.

9 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Don't fancy a swap do you ?

Nah quite happy with SP at the moment to be honest done great with the club each season we have been getting better and better next step is the championship hard task but hopefully we will get their at some point.

8 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

You are right enough. And Hancock played for Aberdeen.

Oh wrll at least there is a chance both of them will probably stay till the end of the season.

Hancock out of contract end of season too I really doubt Aberdeen will keep him on

3 hours ago, mo83 said:

Nah quite happy with SP at the moment to be honest done great with the club each season we have been getting better and better next step is the championship hard task but hopefully we will get their at some point.

He's done very well,  totally punched above his weight.

Still fancy him and Big Rab here at some stage......

3 hours ago, DUAFC said:

He's done very well,  totally punched above his weight.

Still fancy him and Big Rab here at some stage......

Somewhere down the line SP will probably manage Arbroath but I don't think it will be anytime soon.A think he will be with Montrose for a good few years yet... Possibly Dunfermilne his next stop.

31 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Somewhere down the line SP will probably manage Arbroath but I don't think it will be anytime soon.A think he will be with Montrose for a good few years yet... Possibly Dunfermilne his next stop.

Would have already went to Dunfermline by now if that’s what he wanted. Maybe as he gets older. 100 percent will manage us at some stage I have zero doubt about it. 

On another note phoning up to get Fraserburgh tickets very easy and it’s good to see the club shop and office are open full time, easy enough to get down to get them picked up

Everything at the club is absolutely spot on apart from the on the field stuff that’s happening 3pm on a Saturday at the moment 

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would have already went to Dunfermline by now if that’s what he wanted. Maybe as he gets older. 100 percent will manage us at some stage I have zero doubt about it. 

On another note phoning up to get Fraserburgh tickets very easy and it’s good to see the club shop and office are open full time, easy enough to get down to get them picked up

Everything at the club is absolutely spot on apart from the on the field stuff that’s happening 3pm on a Saturday at the moment 

What's Sheerin up to these days you not want him back?lol