The Arbroath Thread

I hope Deri doesn’t read these threads but just in case he does, here goes. It’s not your fault you’re not Bobby Linn. It’s obvious you try your best every time you come on as a sub. I loved how you skinned their defender on the halfway line and got him booked and you managed a shot on target - just a shame you didn’t catch it right.
His only highlights from 32 minutes on the pitch.

And probably his only highlights from every game so far.

If he actually put a shift in we might not be so harsh but at the end of the day he looks well out of his depth and would be better off at club where that standard of play is acceptable.

First trip to Gayfield in about 18 months, live outwith Scotland, but was great to be back!

The stadium is looking brilliant, tbh. Making hay whilst the sun shines.

Don't think we can have any complaints about the result, just sickening to lose it like that right at the end! But some of those subs from DC!

I think Hoti did OK when he came on, would have been great if that dip he took went in. Oakley was superb, baffled why he was subbed off and what was the fuss about - seen him getting riled up with a Cove player? Shanks did alright, but no use playing him up on his own.

McKenna was very good yesterday ; TOB was fine as well. Fosu fair gets stuck in!

Still time, and we can beat anyone on our day ; but so gutting leaving Gayfield at 1-1 knowing it's still 5 pts and not 2 between us!

I think I counted 67 Cove fans! Is that a record low for an away support?!

Tempted now to go to Firhill next week! Not been to an away game in about 5 years

Megginson was excellent, definitely could player at a higher level? Or is he like Rory McAllister and happy in the lower leagues?

Edited by Kejan

You can say fair enough if your taking off linn for someone more defensive to shore things up but on 50 odd mins is baffling another goal for us kills the game. And bringing on corfe who’s not great offensively and has no defensive awareness or positional sense is just sheer stupidity. 

Had some bad officiating already this season but yesterday tops that off Lino on seaside was absolutely hopeless 

So frustrating hearing that interview,

Moans that we allowed Cove to attack and put balls in the box, However he was the one that took off the people that gets up the park, The midfield we ended the game with was so poor, 

Moans the players he has signed to replace the ones last season aren't maybe good enough..... Every single fan could see in the pre season friendlies these guys weren't good enough, 

He admits we are so short up front, but signs Hoti, who plays in a position we probably have to much players for...

Then the treatment and screaming match with Linn on the touch line was absolutely embarrassing,

Linn was 1000% not tired and was still full of running, the only change that should of been made was Hilson for Shanks and Tait for the injured Jacobs, 

I have not listened to his interview because I am too frustrated but I’m told he said he took Marcel off because he was knackered as he is only 19? Probably our best player yesterday too. Make that make sense? Too tired at 19? Certainly did not look that way

Wonder if this Bobby Linn thing is going to boil over now and affect us going forward. Without him we are utterly fucked. Again this isn’t some kind of criticism cause hindsight is a wonderful thing this is something myself and many others brought up weeks if not months ago a blind man could see this coming. It was all going to boil over at some point, it made no sense to anybody why Bobby was getting bombed off but it’s kept happening week after week.

The whole thing about him being 37 and needing looked after is a crock of shit. The guy is in unbelievable shape, does a power load of physical stuff every fkn week. Play him, if he starts looking tired or says he’s tired then sub him off. Don’t take the guy off when games are so close and there are points on the line. We would’ve won that game yesterday 

Jacobs off for Hoti or Tait and Hilson on for Shanks would’ve been suffice, maybe Allan off for one of the above if he started to tire. 

But nope… Hilson on upfront. Corfe on for Linn. Oakley off, Gold to right back and Fosu holding midfield (WHIT?!?!?!). Hoti on for Allan and Tait on for Jacobs who in fairness was injured. Half your outfield changing in the last half hour when you’re 1-0 up holding on to a lead. Madness 

Only last season DC was picking up awards for manager of the month and we had Arbroath fans requesting selfie's with him and some going as far to wear copy-cat flat cap bunnetts - now we have some of these very same fans calling for him to resign...........

Next to Albert Henderson, DC is the club's most successful manager in living memory - we only narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premier league last season.

This season we have suffered injuries, suspensions, loss of form and to an extent recruited the wrong players ( Oakley, Allan, Tait and Bitsindou have all been very good signings).

The big problem was failing to recruit a Championship lever striker - this needs to be addressed urgently.

Last season, DC also made bizarre substitutions, but in the main avoided criticism due to the quality of players in both the starting 11 and on the bench ( we don't have the same luxury this season).

It's been a disappointing start to the season, we are now deep in relegation trouble, but I think DC can and will turn this around - we have already either beat or drew with all the best teams in this league and the players will start to click soon.

On Saturday Oakley, Linn, TOB, Ricky Little and Scott Allan all put in a great shift - but we are missing an experienced striker.

Regarding DC outburst to Linn, both these people are passionate about Arbroath, they hate losing and at the heat of the moment their frustration takes over - DC made the wrong call, he will know this and will be looking to put things right.

I think DC has achieved a lot at Gayfield and has made Arbroath the best part -time club in Scotland.

Yes, we are going through difficult times and DC has made frustrating errors and decisions - however, I think he will get things right soon, but a lot will depend on him recruiting a proven striker who can play at this level.

9 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Only last season DC was picking up awards for manager of the month and we had Arbroath fans requesting selfie's with him and some going as far to wear copy-cat flat cap bunnetts - now we have some of these very same fans calling for him to resign...........

Next to Albert Henderson, DC is the club's most successful manager in living memory - we only narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premier league last season.

This season we have suffered injuries, suspensions, loss of form and to an extent recruited the wrong players ( Oakley, Allan, Tait and Bitsindou have all been very good signings).

The big problem was failing to recruit a Championship lever striker - this needs to be addressed urgently.

Last season, DC also made bizarre substitutions, but in the main avoided criticism due to the quality of players in both the starting 11 and on the bench ( we don't have the same luxury this season).

It's been a disappointing start to the season, we are now deep in relegation trouble, but I think DC can and will turn this around - we have already either beat or drew with all the best teams in this league and the players will start to click soon.

On Saturday Oakley, Linn, TOB, Ricky Little and Scott Allan all put in a great shift - but we are missing an experienced striker.

Regarding DC outburst to Linn, both these people are passionate about Arbroath, they hate losing and at the heat of the moment their frustration takes over - DC made the wrong call, he will know this and will be looking to put things right.

I think DC has achieved a lot at Gayfield and has made Arbroath the best part -time club in Scotland.

Yes, we are going through difficult times and DC has made frustrating errors and decisions - however, I think he will get things right soon, but a lot will depend on him recruiting a proven striker who can play at this level.

I don’t personally agree with the calls for him to maybe go because he’s brought so much success to us and is a club legend. A living legend in front of our eyes, I think the problem seems to be the way he reacts to criticism, it obviously rubs people up the wrong way. There has been a whole lot to rightly criticise this season and he’s got to accept it and deal with it in the right manner 

Cannot really visually comment on yesterday's game as i could not attend it, but after speaking to people who were there plus the live-commentary and the comments from fans on various social media outlets here is my take on it. 

1. We seemed to play well and deserved to be 1-0 up.

2. Then DC decided to make numerous subs in a short space of time, feedback was IF a sub had to be made it should have been a "like-for-like" i.e. a forward from the bench for the tiring Shank's who had been having a good game but seemed to be tiring.

3. Even when i saw the subs from home i could not believe it (and i hate having a go at any of our players) but i am sorry but Corfe is not up to the standard we require, it does not matter if you are skillful but if you do not burst a gut to chase the ball well you are no good in my team and i have witnessed in the previous games i have saw him play for us, add to that it was his header back into our own box which led to their equalizer, there is no point in pussy-footing about, that is a fact.

Numerous folk have told me that Bobby was playing well and was still not looking tired and they could not believe DC subbed him and going by others who witnessed it the way he treated Bobby in full view of the supporters was unacceptable as was (again from witnesses) "allegedly" comments at the Hospitality. 

4.  It seemed to the fans that were at the game that DC was trying to hold onto the 1-0 lead rather than going for a decisive 2nd goal which would have won the game and the required 3 points.

The above has been backed up by COVE RANGERS fans in their comments which also included their amazement in DC taken off Bobby and Oakley.

OK back to the season thus far, do i want DC sacked?

My answer to that is NO, I think what he has done for this club he deserves to fix the mess HE has created this season, i do not care how many "unlucky" striker signings we have had that fell through you need a PLAN B in place if your no 1 priority signings do not come off, and sad to say 60-70% of DC's signings this season are simply not good enough and his statement "I only sign players better than i have" this season is simply not true.

We do have a very good 14/15 players but the Gaffer is not playing them with the correct tactics and his subs have been in the main shocking, I agree we have also had injury and suspensions to contend with and as a squad we are not as strong as last season.

To sum up i do believe DC deserves to the end of the season to turn it around and get all the squad back onside but it is also the AFC Board's duty to (IF it is true that there is a rift between DC and Bobby) to get it sorted out and also surely Pink/JY/Big Rab must have a say on the subs as well etc?

DC has had all the plaudits (quite rightly) over the last few seasons but this season he HAS to take responsibility and HAS to hold his hands up and admit he has made mistakes (and up until yesterday he has never done this) so after what this Club has done on and off the park over the last 5/6 years which is unbelievable and DC has been a MASSIVE part of this so imo he deserves a chance to fix it so for me he stays at least until the end of the season as given him a bit of loyalty is what i think he deserves.

I will always support my club The Red Lichties through thick and thin and i always agree with a bit of loyalty to Managers or players (i.e. the likes of Bobby Linn/Ricky Little) who have been loyal to us.  

Those are my own thoughts and i know other fans will have their own thoughts which will differ from mine which is fair enough as everybody is entitled to their own views which makes this the game it is.

Support the Red Lichties.

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

No man is bigger than the club. Yes, Dick had been brilliant for us and deserved all the praise when things were going well, but this season has been a disaster for him, the club and the fans - all of it caused 100% by him I’m afraid. Yes there have been injuries and bad luck etc but every club has to deal with that.

The board run the club, not Dick and I would imagine that they’re very concerned and probably furious at how things are going both from a playing point of view and also the current PR disaster that Dick’s antics are causing. A relative fortune has been invested and I am convinced that he’s drinking in the last chance saloon, and that the club are actively looking at options. If they’re not then we’re in even bigger trouble than I thought.

He’s lost the plot and seems incapable of change, self criticism or humility. This is dragging us down metaphorically and more than likely literally.

Personally, I’m praying for 6 weeks of extremely inclement weather, starting on Friday, meaning we can’t play until the new year. Then of course we will find this unsigned goal machine that half our support seem to think is waiting in the wings to save our season.

I’ve said/asked this before but who can genuinely see where we’re getting 28-30 points from before the end of the season? Even if we do unearth a half decent striker.

Yes agree.

3 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Cannot really visually comment on yesterday's game as i could not attend it, but after speaking to people who were there plus the live-commentary and the comments from fans on various social media outlets he is my take on it. 

1. We seemed to play well and deserved to be 1-0 up.

2. Then DC decided to make numerous subs in a short space of time, feedback was IF a sub had to be      made it should have been a "like-for-like" i.e. a forward from the bench for the tiring Shank's who            had been having a good game but seemed to be tiring.

3. Even when i saw the subs from home i could not believe it (and i hate having a go at any of our              players) but i am sorry but Corfe is not up to the standard we require, it does not matter if you are          skillful but if you do not burst a gut to chase the ball well you are no good in my team and i have            witnessed in the previous games i have saw him play for us, add to that it was his header back into      our own box which led to their equalizer, there is no point in pussy-footing about, that is a fact.

Numerous folk have told me that Bobby was playing well and was still not looking tired and they            could not believe DC subbed him and going by others who witnessed it the way he treated Bobby in      full view of the supporters was unacceptable as was (again from witnesses) "allegedly" comments        at the Hospitality. 

4.  It seemed to the fans that were at the game that DC was trying to hold onto the 1-0 lead rather               than going for a decisive 2nd goal which would have won the game and the required 3 points.

The above has been backed up by COVE RANGERS fans in their comments which also included               their amazement in DC taken off Bobby and Oakley.

OK back to the season thus far, do i want DC sacked?

My answer to that is NO, I think what he has done for this club he deserves to fix the mess HE has created this season, i do not care how many "unlucky" striker signings we have had you need a PLAN B in place if your no 1 priority signings do not come off, and sad to say 60-70% of DC's signings are simply not good enough and his statement "i only sign players better than i have" this season is simply not true.

We do have a very good 14/15 players but the Gaffer is not playing them with the correct tactics and his subs have been in the main shocking, I agree we have also had injury and suspensions to contend with and as a squad we are not as strong as last season.

To sum up i do believe DC deserves to the end of the season to turn it around and get all the squad back onside but it is also the AFC Board's duty to (if there is a rift between DC and Bobby) to get it sorted out and also surely Pink/JY/Big Rab must have a say on the subs as well etc?

DC has had all the plaudits (quite rightly) over the last few seasons but this season he HAS to take responsibility and HAS to hold his hands up and admit he has made mistakes (and up until yesterday he has never done this) so after what this Club has done on and off the park over the last 5/6 years which is unbelievable and DC has been a MASSIVE part of this so imo he deserves a chance to fix it so for me he stays at least until the end of the season as given him a bit of loyalty is what i think he deserves.

I will always support my club The Red Lichties through thick and thin and i always agree with a bit of loyalty to Managers or players (i.e. the likes of Bobby Linn/Ricky Little) who have been loyal to us.  

Those are my own thoughts and i know other fans will have their own thoughts which will differ from mine which is fair enough as everybody is entitled to their own views which makes this the game it is.

Support the Red Lichties.

I appreciate these are your thoughts and opinions. 

But just to recap ;

Subs and tactics are poor & shocking

Unacceptable treatment in public of Bobby Linn

Bad recruitment 

Unacceptable comments made in hospitality  - may or may not be true 

Can't accept the mistakes he's been repeatedly making.

But he still deserves the chance to stay for the rest of season to fix the mess he's caused.

Can't agree I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

I appreciate these are your thoughts and opinions. 

But just to recap ;

Subs and tactics are poor & shocking

Unacceptable treatment in public of Bobby Linn

Bad recruitment 

Unacceptable comments made in hospitality  - may or may not be true 

Can't accept the mistakes he's been repeatedly making.

But he still deserves the chance to stay for the rest of season to fix the mess he's caused.

Can't agree I'm afraid. 

The recap just includes 4 bad months from 7 unbelievable years here though

So what's your answer on how we turn this around  then ?

I can’t believe that there is any realistic chance of management change this season unless Dick resigns.
He will get the chance to turn this round and that’s our best chance. Even old guys can learn from their mistakes.
If his promises of big things to come in the next few weeks prove hollow then very serious questions will be asked.
The Club’s in great shape and still enjoying a level of football unseen for decades. Our best chance of staying up is bolstering the squad at Xmas and kicking on from there. I’ll be behind them whatever.

Just now, timlichtie said:

I can’t believe that there is any realistic chance of management change this season unless Dick resigns.
He will get the chance to turn this round and that’s our best chance. Even old guys can learn from their mistakes.
If his promises of big things to come in the next few weeks prove hollow then very serious questions will be asked.
The Club’s in great shape and still enjoying a level of football unseen for decades. Our best chance of staying up is bolstering the squad at Xmas and kicking on from there. I’ll be behind them whatever.

Dick is too stubborn to change his ways. It’s his way or no way. And with that attitude the season will be a disaster. 

We have to remember.

Fosu, Hancock, Isiaka, Oakley, Tait could all be released/recalled come January. Maybe even Hoti as not sure when his contract is up.

Corfe still signed until the summer but will he leave also remains to be seen

So we are potentialy facing the problem of signing upwards of 8 players. And then facing the same problem of having to get these players to gel and play well as a team.

What a mess we are in.

15 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We have to remember.

Fosu, Hancock, Isiaka, Oakley, Tait could all be released/recalled come January. Maybe even Hoti as not sure when his contract is up.

Corfe still signed until the summer but will he leave also remains to be seen

So we are potentialy facing the problem of signing upwards of 8 players. And then facing the same problem of having to get these players to gel and play well as a team.

What a mess we are in.

Very good point.

I can see Oakley going back and definitely Hancock. Aberdeen won’t like seeing a very promising young player, who was on the fringes of their first team, warming the bench at a losing side every week. I could see him being recalled and loaned to someone else to get valuable game time.

The others? Even if we don’t think some of them are good enough, it’s a squad game and we can’t afford to lose those kind of numbers.

DC hinted a few times in his interview that he is well aware of the need to bring in strikers and suggested changes will be incoming - I am confident we will have two new strikers in soon-ish ( but might not be until the January window).

He also hinted that he is keen to keep Oakley until the end of the season - I would expect Birmingham to agree to this, given the amount if game time he is getting.

We also need to keep Dylan Tait - he has worked out well as a replacement for Nicky Low.

I think DC will turn this around - but we are so fortunate to have Bobby Linn at the age of 38 still producing moments of magic - surely an inspiration to everyone in the dressing room.

Lets get behind the players and management - we had a dream of a season last year, but this season is now about steadying the ship and rebuilding for next season.

Corfe is here for the season I’m sure. He seems to really like Fosu so I think he will extend his contract. I hope Oakley gets to stay but Birmingham might want him to go to L2 or L1 in England. Tait will stay not good enough for Hibs. Hoti signed till Jan and not sure what’ll happen with either him or Isiaka. Hancock for me was a total waste of a loan signing he was signed to play left midfield, it actually really pisses me off and has done since the day he signed

But yeah giving Dick a chance to turn it around is the only option for me. If the Bobby Linn thing goes any further and we are at a stage where he won’t get played or other players fall out with Dick then maybe that’ll change my mind 

But there are 20 plus games to go and we are only 5 points off 8th even though we have been utter muck

Interestingly enough I saw a tweet from PnB showing we have the 11th best defensive records out of all 42 teams, clear as day where our problems are and this has been apparent from day one

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Corfe is here for the season I’m sure. He seems to really like Fosu so I think he will extend his contract. I hope Oakley gets to stay but Birmingham might want him to go to L2 or L1 in England. Tait will stay not good enough for Hibs. Hoti signed till Jan and not sure what’ll happen with either him or Isiaka. Hancock for me was a total waste of a loan signing he was signed to play left midfield, it actually really pisses me off and has done since the day he signed

But yeah giving Dick a chance to turn it around is the only option for me. If the Bobby Linn thing goes any further and we are at a stage where he won’t get played or other players fall out with Dick then maybe that’ll change my mind 

But there are 20 plus games to go and we are only 5 points off 8th even though we have been utter muck

Interestingly enough I saw a tweet from PnB showing we have the 11th best defensive records out of all 42 teams, clear as day where our problems are and this has been apparent from day one

Even if Dick does like a few of the players and wants to keep them on, they might not want to stay.

Fosu might fancy playing down south again closer to friends and family.

Isiaka will probably go.

Tait might not be good enough for Hibs but he may look to try get a move to another full time team (Falkirk, QP, etc) for a potential future move rather than stay at us.

Oakley was due to come up with another Birmingham player that fell through at the last minute. Player might want to go play closer to friends and family or Birmingham might want him playing at a higher level and recall him.

Hancock will either be recalled or want to go back and play elsewhere. At his age he should be playing often and he is not getting that here. Again another FT team might take him on for a future transfer.