The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Dick always made bad substitutions and he always will but who is “our saviour” ?

But they're now getting worse, more frequent,  and having more impact on results. 

Clearly incapable of learning from his mistakes. 

Bobby got subbed (yet again), he was playing quite well.  He didn't seem best pleased (understandably)
Campbell then gave him the full hair dryer works right in his face. Bobby stood his ground and Campbell went into meltdown. 
Looked horrendous, only saving grace was that some of the fans in the stand told Campbell where to go.

Anyone got a vid?

I thought we were very good in the 1st half today. Controlled the possession and looked really dangerous going forward. That was Scott Allan’s best game for us IMO and McKennas best for a while as well. At half time I could only see is increasing our lead and winning rather comfortably. 

Then the subs happened ☹️

3 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

It’s time for Dick to go imo, He has taken us as far as he can go and us fans i am sure will forever be grateful and full of admiration for the incredible and amazing work he has done for our club but now is the time to retire before it gets ugly, This season has been an absolute embarrassment from him and it’s all his fault, His bizarre tactics, decisions and substitutions are an absolute farce and a complete shambles and he honestly has no Plan B, Last season was the best ever season in my lifetime as a fan but it’s went from complete fairytale stuff to becoming a ridiculous nightmare and he is very slowly ruining all the great work that has come before, The treatment of Bobby today was the final straw for me.

100% this.

Nailed it, sadly.

It’s time for Dick to go imo, He has taken us as far as he can go and us fans i am sure will forever be grateful and full of admiration for the incredible and amazing work he has done for our club but now is the time to retire before it gets ugly, This season has been an absolute embarrassment from him and it’s all his fault, His bizarre tactics, decisions and substitutions are an absolute farce and a complete shambles and he honestly has no Plan B, Last season was the best ever season in my lifetime as a fan but it’s went from complete fairytale stuff to becoming a ridiculous nightmare and he is very slowly ruining all the great work that has come before, The treatment of Bobby today was the final straw for me.
Sounds very similar to when he was reaching the end with us

8 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
9 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Sounds very similar to when he was reaching the end with us

Agreed. It's stops becoming about the football & becomes about DC, next thing you know he'll be on BBC Radio Scotland calling you all the names under the sun.

Dicks bizarre tactics, team selections and subs are costing us too many points.

From some players asking to leave, poor recruitment and now open confrontation with his players in front of everyone then the signs are there all is not good.

The darker side of Dick is becoming ever more in focus.

With the recruitment team now in place i am inclined to think Dick will still be in charge past January if he manages to keep us in with a chance of staying up.

But the next 2 games might bring an end to his tenure. Lose to Pattick is not the end. But to Fraserburgh away in the cup....... will the board be happy with that?

New manager in by December to assess squad and give them the January window to bring new players in.

Dick has done an amazing job over the years but we cannot allow us to go through the rest of the season like this. Either he gets his shit together or he goes.

Just watched the post match DC interview. As expected he's frustrated about losing a goal late on.

Out-with the result he talks about "there's a bit more to come from it" and again later on says "there's a lot more to come". Not sure how to decipher that other than he's meaning he's got signings pencilled in. Marc McNulty and/or LG both rumoured to be training with you. Is that the case?

Was really hoping to hear about why Linn was taken off. Guess that's a sensitive subject and was purposefully omitted.

At the end he questions his summer recruitment which has come under some critiicism

https://youtu.be/B4hIfvFz5mM

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought we were very good in the 1st half today. Controlled the possession and looked really dangerous going forward. That was Scott Allan’s best game for us IMO and McKennas best for a while as well. At half time I could only see is increasing our lead and winning rather comfortably. 

Then the subs happened ☹️

Agreed, I thought we looked pretty good until the second half.  Some really odd subs, again, and some very strange tactical choices.  I'm in agreement with this thread, I think we need someone else in.  

Just watched that interview.

Complains that we were not holding up the ball in the final third.

Well IMO Hilson is better on the wing and tracking back than trying to hold up the ball up front. So why keep him upfront.... surely McKenna could have went up top if he wasnt going to bring on another striker.

Linn can hold up the ball better than Corfe. Hell even Hancock could have offered a better defensive option on the wing than Corfe. But no. Lets sub Linn off and lose any attatcking threat down the left and invite all sorts of pressure down that side for the defence to deal with.

You can see what he was trying to do and I’m sure it made sense in his head. Take off all attacking threat and width and try to desperately protect the 1 goal lead, however it failed big time and we were lucky to escape with a point imo.

Towards the end we were essentially playing a 9-1-0 formation when they had the ball and inviting them on to us - Corfe was practically on our 18 yard line half the time.

Utter desperation and there was no need to play like that. Should have kept Oakley and Linn on and replaced Shanks with Isiaka. When we were 1-0 up v Hamilton we still had a threat up front and could easily have added more playing on the break. Cove would have had to take risks and would have left space for us to exploit. A big physical guy like Isiaka would have been a much better option than Hilson.

Shambles.

In all my 70 years of watching football at all levels I can't recall seeing a worse display of refereeing. Chris Graham should never be allowed to referee a professional football match again.

Yet again Dick Campbell made a complete mess of substitutions and made a complete arse of himself with his treatment of Bobby Linn when he took Bobby off. And put Deri Corfe on. Deri Corfe FFS. His other substitutions were equally baffling.

It seems his ego has out grown his common sense. It's probably getting near the time for him to go. He's probably had more success at Gayfield than at any of his other clubs, but all good things must come to an end.

I don't expect him to resign, that would go against his ego. But if we are still in 9th or bottom place as the season draws to a close I would hope the board would ask him to go.

Been thinking about it since it happened and I still can't think of a single reason to bring Deri Corfe on for Bobby Linn yesterday. Thought we had gotten past the stage of Bobby getting hooked after an hour regardless but clearly not, he is our only player capable of creating chances and getting us up the park at the moment. Every sub he made yesterday made us worse (and we weren't that good in the first place) all down to this absolute mess of a squad he has assembled. Raging isn't the word honestly, what a shambles.

I hope Deri doesn’t read these threads but just in case he does, here goes. It’s not your fault you’re not Bobby Linn. It’s obvious you try your best every time you come on as a sub. I loved how you skinned their defender on the halfway line and got him booked and you managed a shot on target - just a shame you didn’t catch it right.