The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Thankful for a point from a very difficult away match.

Also, great to have Shanks on the score sheet and will surely be in the starting 11 next week.

A win next week and the confidence and feel good factor could start to return.

Last week you said the strikers hadn’t delivered when given a chance…….you then added that Shanks was signed as a development player & not ready for the Championship 🤷‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

Last week you said the strikers hadn’t delivered when given a chance…….you then added that Shanks was signed as a development player & not ready for the Championship 🤷‍♂️😂

Yes - and what I said was correct. However, I am pleased for Shanks and hope he can prove to everyone that  there is more to him than being labelled a “development player “. 

Edited by clashcityrocker

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I am delighted, we played an actual striker, and our actual striker got a goal.  No doubt he'll be rewarded with a seat back on the bench.

Dick thinking he is being undermined by the support, sent him out to prove wrong, does the opposite, so punished by being benched again. Dick management 101.

Just as long as we don't make up a song for Shanks itll be ok.....

I am delighted, we played an actual striker, and our actual striker got a goal.  No doubt he'll be rewarded with a seat back on the bench.
With Hilson coming on to replace him i would not be surprised if he is benched and Hilson starts.

21 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Yes - and what I said was correct. However, I am pleased for Shanks and hope he can prove to everyone that  there is more to him than being labelled a “development player “. 

I guess it comes down to what is defined as being given a “chance”

Sporadic 10-15 mins here or there does the square root of zilch for match fitness. Is it fair to judge strikers (or any player for that matter) if not match fit & lacking sharpness required by a striker?

I wouldn’t have been surprised if Shanks was hooked at half-time on Saturday as he was breathing through his jacksie - despite being amongst the fitter & quicker of the squad in training

Dick thinking he is being undermined by the support, sent him out to prove wrong, does the opposite, so punished by being benched again. Dick management 101.
Just as long as we don't make up a song for Shanks itll be ok.....

Same number of syllables as “Bobby Linn”.

Been out of touch for a wee while and now catching up with what's been going on. Tend to agree with a lot of what's been said about Dick's somewhat surreal and bizarre team selections that have probably cost us points.

Don't often agree with Lichtieeeeee but do agree that players need a run in the side not just a few minutes near the end of a game, also find it ridiculous to play players out of position, in positions where there are  players whose natural position is being taken. At last it seems that the penny has dropped and the amazing idea of playing a striker (from the start) could lead to us getting a goal. Wonder where Dick dug that one up from.

Although it's still early in the season we are already in a precarious situation. We cannot afford to keep dropping points and hoping that teams above us in the league will have as bad a run as we have been on since the start of the season. Teams above us have the luxury of a points cushion that we do not have, where they can afford to lose a game or two without being pulled into the relegation zone. We cannot afford to keep going behind in games and having to play catch up. I didn't fully accept that we had a great defence last season, I felt that much as we had a settled and fairly solid back four, most of the opposition forwards were pretty poor in front of goal, doing what we are doing this season, creating but not able to finish. 

From what's been said it seems like we are playing like we did pre-championship seasons where it was about an hour into games before we actually started getting our act together on the pitch.

Anyway I hope Shanks gets a start on Saturday and scores again but who knows how Dick will set the team up. 

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

Two days to go to an important match for us and there seems to be an air of apathy here. It's almost like we're already relegated and nobody can be bothered. Understandable up to a point but come on, there's still a lot of points to play for and we need to get behind the team, even if not really looking forward to the match.

We took a good point against ICT who we have not had much success against and without having our strongest team available. We played a striker at last and he scored. Shanks keeps being talked about as a development player but he is not going to develop by sitting on the bench, he will only improve by playing regularly in competitive games. Personally I would like to have him in the team every week regardless of how he plays. Strikers can be out of the game for periods during a match but can score even if they only get one chance.

Looks like another typically chilly and breezy day at Gayfield on Saturday and I'm looking forward to the game, hoping as ever that we play well, that the opposition have an off day and we get the three points. And a hot pie at half time, no doubt they'll be selling like hot...well pies.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

So much depends on the fitness and availability of our key players. With a full squad then I’d be confident of a home win. It’s hard to predict when there’s so little information on the state of the players. My weather forecast looks good with light winds. We must be due a rousing Lichtie victory.

We're in no way detached at the bottom, a couple of wins and we're right back in the thick of things.  We are also clearly not a bad team, despite some of the hysteria about our players, the number of draws testifies to that.

But all that said, its hard to feel positive when we don't know where the goals will come from.  I've been calling for Isiaka to get a start, but Shanks started and scored, so he deserves to stay in the team...but will the manager see it that way? I really don't know if he will.  Is he going to try and Craig Levein it?