The Arbroath Thread

Ok. Lets have a look at the League stats for the 2 strikers we have. Shanks and Isiaka. (Hilson is not a striker)

Shanks

9 games. 2 starts.

1. 45 mins. Hooked at HT with 4 others away to Ayr.
2. 14 mins. Low only creative player on pitch at home to ICT.
3. 22 mins. Scored against QP in a 2-1 hone loss. Low and Allan on pitch.
4. 71 mins. Started away to Hamilton. Allan only creative player on pitch. ToB sent off after 58.
5. 52 mins. Subbed on after 38 mins. Allan sent off on 50 mins. Linn subbed off after 54. Home loss to Partick.
6. 5 mins away win at Morton.
7. 24 mins away loss to Cove. Allan and Linn subbed off.
8. 3 mins v Dundee at home.
9. 21 mins. Subbed on for Linn. Allan only on pitch at home loss to Raith.

Isiaka.

4 games. 0 starts.

1. 5 mins away to Morton.
2. 7 mins at home to Dundee.
3. 19 mins. On for Linn away to QP. No other creative player on park.
4. 23 mins. On for Linn against Hamilton. Did ok. Should have an assist if Allan had scored that sitter.

Shanks has had more game time but only once did he play at the same time as Linn (for 16 mins at home to Partick) who is our only creative wide player (crosses, cut backs, shots) that Shanks could work off. And with Allan and Low he has barely had enough game time in front of them.

Isiaka has been shat on ever since he joined but clearly he has not been given a chance to even prove himself yet.

We have a small squad with very limit options from the bench. It is preposterous to not play them more often in the positions that they were sign up to play in. Likes of McKenna, Fosu, Hilson should be played in positions more suited to their abilities. Not shoehorned into a striker role they clearly dont look comfortable in most of the time.

Shanks being the age he is needs to play to get any better. him being on the bench keeping it warm is useless to him and the club since we have gave him a 3 year deal. Personally I’d rather he just played will only get better with minutes and experience. Has some good attributes pacey, physical and is willing to put in a shift. He’s also very raw but like I said he’s no getting an experience sitting on the bench 

It is just quite simply very strange that we seem to have invested a decent amount of money into Shanks and given him a 3 year deal but he seems to be the furthest down the pecking order out of himself, Corfe, Fosu and Isiaka. Jury is still well and truly out on Shanks but I’m not sure why he seems to get the least opportunities.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with Stewart?this lopsided 4-4-2 we have been playing is absolute torture to watch. None of them are natural wingers but McKenna, Fosu or Gold would be better playing wide right rather than Tait playing in no man's land

I'm willing to give the manager a pass on transfers.  I don't think its entirely his fault that deals didnt work out, and in terms of the signings, I think only Corfe looks like a complete failure to me.  I think there's a lot of unfair hysteria about the others.  In addition, I agree with Simon from earlier that Dick's subs have always been baffling, and his interviews nonsense.

The problem for me this season is that he has picked the wrong team far too many times.  Even accounting for injuries, the teams he's put out just haven't made sense.  No strikers, wingers in the middle, midfielders up top, its just been a mess.  I can forgive a lot of the other stuff, but picking the teams is 100% on the manager.

38 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Nah leave Nicky alone boys just getting settled in nicely at Kelty 👍

Don’t think many would want him back, I certainly wouldn’t.

Best of luck to him at Kelty, hope he’s enjoying that extra 6 minutes he’s saving travelling to training and all those close away days like Peterhead and Montrose.

For context

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm willing to give the manager a pass on transfers.  I don't think its entirely his fault that deals didnt work out, and in terms of the signings, I think only Corfe looks like a complete failure to me.  I think there's a lot of unfair hysteria about the others. 

At what point is it fair to pass judgement?

Fosu, Corfe, Isiaka, and Shanks have 1 league goal between them (Shanks being the goalscorer).

8 league goals in 13 games is relegation form and I don't think it helps to pretend otherwise. It's not hysteria - we are sinking without a trace FFS.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We are quite simply just not a football team

We play with no strikers  

4 defenders and 6 midfield players on the park, nobody out right at all, once again with Tam out we are tiny in midfield. 

A group of guys running about on top of each other in the middle of the park

Our only hope of scoring a goal is Bobby Linn. The only other player we have who tries to actually make things happen gets a hard time because he sometimes gives the ball away. 

We have zero identity at all or any style of playing. I have no idea what we are trying to actually achieve when we play 

Our two tactics seem to be to launch the ball to Mikey or pass the ball to Bobby and hope he can do it all himself 

The fact we are in this position after the place we were in before a ball is kicked is genuinely an absolute disgrace. Dick and Pink have made a monumental mess of this 

I think we have some very talented and good players, I also think we have 4/5 who are quite simply nowhere near good enough. However the good players we do have cannot form an effective team because we are massively lacking upfront and out wide. This makes everyone else look so much worse than they are

We will go down barring a massive turnaround in fortunes or Hamilton and Cove somehow being worse than we are (which is surprisingly very possible) 

Spot on.

The most baffling one to me is Shanks. Despite what some think, I think he was pretty impressive for us when he was getting a game. A physical, bustling striker who creates opportunities and isn’t afraid to have a go.

E.g. Ran that massive centre half for Fylde ragged and almost single handedly salvaged a point v Queens Park.

Yes he’s not the finished article and, if we had other, better, more experienced options then of course he would be down the pecking order. To use his age and lack of experience at this level as a reason to not play him is just ludicrous. The world is full of young, raw, hungry strikers being first choice or getting substantial game-time, at all levels. How exactly is he supposed to do much with the odd 10 minutes here and there? Personally, I would start him every game. This isn’t kids development fitba.

For the record - I think we’re down already or playoff at the very best. Can anyone really see where we’re getting 30-32 more points from in 23 games? If Dick hasn’t realised how serious things are by now and is persisting with playing no strikers and players out of position or the wrong players altogether, then when will he.

Edited by Tattie36

Nah leave Nicky alone boys just getting settled in nicely at Kelty [emoji106]

He won’t be back. It’s too far for him to travel. Lol. We don’t need him now we’ve got Allan and Tait. I’ve just about forgiven him for his poor behaviour. I hope he does well for you.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with Stewart?this lopsided 4-4-2 we have been playing is absolute torture to watch. None of them are natural wingers but McKenna, Fosu or Gold would be better playing wide right rather than Tait playing in no man's land

Ankle/foot injury. Was in a walking boot a few weeks back 

1 hour ago, danlichtie said:

For context

At what point is it fair to pass judgement?

Fosu, Corfe, Isiaka, and Shanks have 1 league goal between them (Shanks being the goalscorer).

8 league goals in 13 games is relegation form and I don't think it helps to pretend otherwise. It's not hysteria - we are sinking without a trace FFS.

Fosu wasn't signed to be a striker, and I think he's looked pretty handy and fitted in well in the team.  Shanks showed a lot of potential at the start of the season, albeit looking raw, and Isiaka has had no chances to show how good he is.  The very few opportunities he's had, I think he's showed enough to deserve more game time.  You can't accuse him of not scoring goals if he doesnt play!

I don't think any of them 3 are bad signings.  I do think that they have been treated poorly by the management.

If Dick can sort out his differences with Nicky Low I would happily collect Nicky and drive him to Gayfield - Dylan Tait has been very impressive, but having Low back would make a big difference.

Shanks was signed as a development player and could yet go out on loan in January ( if we can secure a couple of strikers).

still plenty of points to play for, but the reason we are bottom is due to not having a championship level striker - sort that out and we will start climbing the table.

In recent games against title contenders Dundee and Ayr there was nothing between the teams, Arbroath were probably the better team - but lack of goal threat means we are sitting at the foot of the table.

Everyone knows what we need - so let’s get the ball rolling and sort out this mess at the start of January.

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm willing to give the manager a pass on transfers.  I don't think its entirely his fault that deals didnt work out, and in terms of the signings, I think only Corfe looks like a complete failure to me.  I think there's a lot of unfair hysteria about the others.  In addition, I agree with Simon from earlier that Dick's subs have always been baffling, and his interviews nonsense.

The problem for me this season is that he has picked the wrong team far too many times.  Even accounting for injuries, the teams he's put out just haven't made sense.  No strikers, wingers in the middle, midfielders up top, its just been a mess.  I can forgive a lot of the other stuff, but picking the teams is 100% on the manager.

Saturday past we played without a striker when we had Hilson, Shanks, Corfe, Fosu and Isiaka on the bench 

When Bitsindou went off injured we put David Gold to left back instead of bringing on Hancock

When we are playing players out of position and in some cases just flat out not playing with any players of a certain position that is a monumental failure and not unfair hysteria in the slightest

Gold probably a better option at left back than Hancock and McKenna probably a better option upfront than everyone but Hilson on the bench. 

Sad reality and not unfair hysteria at all. We are 13 games into the season 

What is the actual fucking point in us signing a player as a 'DEVELOPMENT' player when -

1. We do not have a development team for the player to play regular games in and gain valuable insights from a dedicated youth coaching setup.

2. Even if we do send them out out on loan to a League 2 or lowee team, only for them to come back and immediately on to the bench or in the stand. Then send them out on loan again at a later date with no sign they will ever feature in the first team. Patterson anyone?

3. Even if we do keep them on the bench the management have shown very little interest in giving the player game time and are always looking for a more experienced player to take their place on the bench.

With our limited squad size we do not have the luxury of having develpoment players. Either play them or let them go to clubs that are willing to play them.

Another thing that pisses me off with this “development played” crap is - Jack Hamilton is only 2 years older than Shanks but he wasn’t seen as too young or inexperienced when he was digging us out of a huge hole 2 seasons ago. Also, what experience do Corfe, Fosu and Isiaka (ok he’s not been getting a game either) have at a high enough level to make them more worthy of a game than Shanks?

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

If Dick can sort out his differences with Nicky Low I would happily collect Nicky and drive him to Gayfield - Dylan Tait has been very impressive, but having Low back would make a big difference.

Shanks was signed as a development player and could yet go out on loan in January ( if we can secure a couple of strikers).

still plenty of points to play for, but the reason we are bottom is due to not having a championship level striker - sort that out and we will start climbing the table.

In recent games against title contenders Dundee and Ayr there was nothing between the teams, Arbroath were probably the better team - but lack of goal threat means we are sitting at the foot of the table.

Everyone knows what we need - so let’s get the ball rolling and sort out this mess at the start of January.

That’s all well and good but who are these magical championship level strikers you’re talking about? I can’t think of any. The 5 sub rule has fecked teams like us as premier clubs are no longer putting the same amount of guys out on loan.

Also if you read pretty much any other championship team’s threads, there is a common theme - they all want strikers. We’ll be very far down the pecking order due to being part-time and likely at the foot of the table. Who would you rather go to as a player or loan a player out to as a manager - us or Raith, ICT, Morton etc?

To put it simply - January is Likely to be FAR FAR too late.

I could very well be wrong and I hope to feck I am but I just can’t see us finding this missing link in January. We couldn’t find one between May and September after all.

All we can do in the meantime is actually play the strikers we have and hope upon hope that they start scoring.

Edited by Tattie36