The Arbroath Thread

Cracking draw. I’ve been to a HL game at Bellslea before, nice old school ground and a pub right next door. Not sure about the Broch as an option for post match beers as I think it could get a little “lively”. I’ve had a night out there before but I was with a bunch of pals from there so it was fine. Probably better heading back to Aberdeen if folk are making a day of it.

The worst part is that it’s a bit of a pain to get to. Train to Aberdeen then bus to Fraserburgh or drive.

Edited by Tattie36

I've seen Fraserburgh 3 times in the last month. Twice against Banks o Dee and once against Formartine in the Aberdeenshire Cup final. They aren't as strong a force as they have been in recent seasons.

Defensively they are vulnerable. Bryan Hay and Kieran Simpson, although decent in the air, are prone to mistakes at centre back and have limited distribution.

I thought they might get a result against Stranraer especially at Bellslea. I don't see them troubling any L1 side or higher so Arbroath should glide through.

Ryan Sargent (RW) and Scott Barbour ,who prodominemntaly gets deployed wide left, have pace and attacking threat. They lack a target man / prolific goal scorer even at HL level. 

My thoughts on the Hamilton game.

Phew. We got the win and its a good feeling.

The defence was along with Bitsindou covering did what was needed. Couple of mistakes but generally good.

I actually thoight Tait was holding back a bit. Didnt seem to look to get stuck in like previous games (4 yellows so far) but played well.

Allan is getting a lot of stick for giving the ball away. But i was encouraged by his passing as he always seemed to want to get ball forward quickly, something thats been lacking this season. In previois games we were passing the ball side to side and back to the defenders and allowing the opposition to regain their defensive shape. The goal came about from a quick counter attack from Mckenna to Allan then to Linn within the space of 12 seconds. More of that please. As for the shot........... no more. Was a pathetic attempt and should be scolded for that. Just daft.

Mckenna and Linn oustanding performance.

Fosu. Gets a lot of hate but he did a decent job considering he is not an out and oit striker though i think Shanks would have been a better option. Did nothing spectacular and was unlucky not to have a goal with having hit the post and crossbar. He probably needs to get some proper boots though as he did slip a few times.

Isiaka. Was energetic when he came on. See folk complaing he should have scored when through on goal. If you watch the highlights, he makes a good run and has a perfect weight on the touch, not too soft or hard) to line up the shot. Meanwhile the defender is marginally quicker and makes up that yard difference and does a great tackle just before the shot. It was just one of those things. Would have had an assist if Allan hadnt been a fanny.

Corfe.

Hopeless. He clearly is not a football player at this level. There is nothing about him that screams he is going to get any better. Cut our losses in January.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

My thoughts on the Hamilton game.

Phew. We got the win and its a good feeling.

The defence was along with Bitsindou covering did what was needed. Couple of mistakes but generally good.

I actually thoight Tait was holding back a bit. Didnt seem to look to get stuck in like previous games (4 yellows so far) but played well.

Allan is getting a lot of stick for giving the ball away. But i was encouraged by his passing as he always seemed to want to get ball forward quickly, something thats been lacking this season. In previois games we were passing the ball side to side and back to the defenders and allowing the opposition to regain their defensive shape. The goal came about from a quick counter attack from Mckenna to Allan then to Linn within the space of 12 seconds. More of that please. As for the shot........... no more. Was a pathetic attempt and should be scolded for that. Just daft.

Mckenna and Linn oustanding performance.

Fosu. Gets a lot of hate but he did a decent job considering he is not an out and oit striker though i think Shanks would have been a better option. Did nothing spectacular and was unlucky not to have a goal with having hit the post and crossbar. He probably needs to get some proper boots though as he did slip a few times.

Isiaka. Was energetic when he came on. See folk complaing he should have scored when through on goal. If you watch the highlights, he makes a good run and has a perfect weight on the touch, not too soft or hard) to line up the shot. Meanwhile the defender is marginally quicker and makes up that yard difference and does a great tackle just before the shot. It was just one of those things. Would have had an assist if Allan hadnt been a fanny.

Corfe.

Hopeless. He clearly is not a football player at this level. There is nothing about him that screams he is going to get any better. Cut our losses in January.

Aye couldn’t agree more with that about Allan, f**k me we could have anyone else in there who could just play it simple all the time but we would never score any fkn goals. Mentioned it elsewhere but aside from Oakleys superb cross down in Greenock all our goals have been penalties, bundled in efforts, mistakes from the opposition or Bobby Linn magic. Allan getting up and down the park for the full 90 encouraging too he’s getting there fitness wise, really could’ve had a standout game with a goal and a great assist if he finished that sitter. 

But the goal on Saturday was so satisfying cause it seems like forever we have cut a team open like that and had someone in 1 on 1 with the keeper. Obviously we’ve not got many players who can make they types of runs and score they kind of goals but we’ve got Bobby and now we’re getting Allan on the park hopefully we can see more of it. It might even get Hilson some goals (I know I know steady on but maybe) because he is one player who likes to try runs in behind.

Even if it doesn’t directly result in a finish but gets Bobby or Scotty Stewart in down the sides or whatever for a cut back it is something we should be encouraging. These passes also do not come off every time but it’s the one time they do that could be difference in winning a game. 

Would like to see Oakley be a bit more adventurous too I feel like he could be and has shown he can be dangerous in the final third, feel like he is maybe a bit safe sometimes. 

Agree on Fosu / Isiaka / Corfe. The first 2 have the physical attributes and seem to do atleast the basics well. Corfe doesn’t he’s one of them, be brilliant at 5 asides but not for me in regards to us and our level it is actually just incredibly frustrating watching him on the ball and off it. 

I know I've been accused of being Isiaka's maw, but I do think he's showed that he deserves more chances.  I think the only out and out failure in our summer business has been Corfe.  Some players perhaps haven't lived up to expectations, but I think they have all at least showed glimpses of why they were signed.  For example, Fosu seems to fit into the team well and is a good utility player, Allan is hot and cold, but you can see what he offers, Isiaka has had very few chances, but I think he's showed enough to get more opportunities, Shanks looks very raw, but there is a player in there.

Corfe has had multiple chances though, and he hasn't remotely looked like a player. Coming on against tired 10 man Hamilton and given license to roam with a striker in the middle, it was all set up for him, and he offered nothing. 

I don't like to criticise our own players, but he isnt good enough.

21 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I know I've been accused of being Isiaka's maw, but I do think he's showed that he deserves more chances.  I think the only out and out failure in our summer business has been Corfe.  Some players perhaps haven't lived up to expectations, but I think they have all at least showed glimpses of why they were signed.  For example, Fosu seems to fit into the team well and is a good utility player, Allan is hot and cold, but you can see what he offers, Isiaka has had very few chances, but I think he's showed enough to get more opportunities, Shanks looks very raw, but there is a player in there.

Corfe has had multiple chances though, and he hasn't remotely looked like a player. Coming on against tired 10 man Hamilton and given license to roam with a striker in the middle, it was all set up for him, and he offered nothing. 

I don't like to criticise our own players, but he isnt good enough.

Fosu and Isiaka and even Shanks would all be perfectly fine if they were our 3rd choice striker and just a different option to put on as a sub or play upfront with someone like guys we have had in previous years I think it’s the fact that they (and Hilson) are our only strikers is the problem. 

Where will we finish this season? Will we sign a striker in January. Important questions to be asked.

I was in despair a couple of weeks back but I’m now starting to think Dick can turn things round. The return of ToB and glimmers of form from Scott Allan make us look more of a unit.
We need more than a striker. A winger to back up Bobby must be a priority. Unfortunately the January window often proves a disappointment.