The Arbroath Thread

55 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I can’t see any point in management change . There is no manager in the country who can resolve the issues caused by a flawed recruitment and retention policy this summer. Dick will surely see us through this season and if things don’t improve I would hope that it would be his decision whether or not to continue. Ideally he will turn things round but I suspect it won’t be until after Xmas and maybe too late to save us from the drop.

The thing is the squad has a whole lot of problems but last night, like the Cove game…. Like plenty of other games. The fact you can sit and watch that for more than 15 minutes and not change it is astonishing.

It was just strange, watching us continuously launch balls up the middle of the park with the wind behind us and against us. So many games this season that have been close and not too much in them and maybe a few things need tweaked and he’s gone and thrown on 4 subs or 5 subs in one go and then we quite rightly look completely lost and the games gone. Or taking off the likes of Bobby or someone else who’s having a good game.

It seems like most decisions he has made this season actively makes us worse and less likely to win. Even just last week at QP, that game was there for the win…. Yet with 20 minutes to play we take off Hilson and Bobby for fucking Fosu and Isiaka. Why????? 😂 Like wtf is that. 

I genuinely believe DC is making this group of players look a whole lot worse than what they are. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

All the indications are that we are going to hobble to January with a mixture of lacklustre performances - most likely struggling at the foot of the table.

The transfer dealings in January will make or break our season - failure to recruit 2 proven strikers will prove very costly.

DC was thinking outside the box with some of his recent recruitments, but most of them are not Championship level players and will be released in January.

Releasing or losing key players such as Nicky Low has backfired - but Dylan Tait is probably DCs best signing this summer.

DC has rolled the dice, given new signings a chance and for the most part, they have under performed, it's not their fault, the problem is they are playing at a level which is asking too much of them as I expect 2-3 of these players to be released in January.

DC has 4 months to identify and recruit players for January ( I know this is already happening for sure) , in the meantime, we need to lower our expectations.

We have some real, classy, quality players at the club - but we need 2-3  Championship level players coming in this January to give them team a lift.

I think we will get back on track - but it's going to require a little time and patience. 

Edited by clashcityrocker

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The thing is the squad has a whole lot of problems but last night, like the Cove game…. Like plenty of other games. The fact you can sit and watch that for more than 15 minutes and not change it is astonishing.

It was just strange, watching us continuously launch balls up the middle of the park with the wind behind us and against us. So many games this season that have been close and not too much in them and maybe a few things need tweaked and he’s gone and thrown on 4 subs or 5 subs in one go and then we quite rightly look completely lost and the games gone. Or taking off the likes of Bobby or someone else who’s having a good game.

It seems like most decisions he has made this season actively makes us worse and less likely to win. Even just last week at QP, that game was there for the win…. Yet with 20 minutes to play we take off Hilson and Bobby for fucking Fosu and Isiaka. Why????? 😂 Like wtf is that. 

I genuinely believe DC is making this group of players look a whole lot worse than what they are. 

Yep, I agree with this completely, especially that last sentence. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You were launching needless balls up the park and our defence dealt with it comfortably and when Linn went off I had a feeling we were going to win apart from him and 2 good chances that our keeper saved you lot never really threatened us at all 

OK, last night was a horror show. But midweek games are hard on part time players, particularly if they have any distance to travel to get to the venue. However team selection can make a big difference and the manager got it spectacularly wrong last night. He is still relying on last season's tactics of punts upfield for a lone striker to hold the ball until support arrives from midfield. Fine if you have a big guy up front. Not so good when your forward is 6 inches shorter than the defenders he is up against.

It never ends well when it looks like the opposition have more players on the park than you do and that's what it was like last night. We were up against a well organised side and we were like a bunch of guys who hadn't played together before. We were only saved from a hiding by Gaston and poor finishing by Raith.

I'm sure I'll be criticised for saying that the defence actually looked better when O'Brien was injured and Hamilton played alongside Little, with Hancock at left back.

As others have said, if there are no major improvements from us and loss of form from teams above us in the league, we will have to accept that even this early in the season we will be favourites for relegation.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

Tried watching that interview with Dick but I can’t, I love the guy but I cannot understand how we’ve ended up in this position.

How could the vast majority of the fans, see so many red flags, red flag after red flag all the way through the pre season, after every friendly and every trialist and as the window progressed and we made our signings. 

I remember actively worrying for about 2/3 weeks or however long it took us to get it over the line about us potentially signing Corfe. I remember thinking surely fkn not why the f**k would we do that, same with Fosu, I remember maybe angrily overreacting on here when we signed him.

The loan signing of Hancock too, after that Brechin game DC mentioned that Hancock could play left wing and I just knew the plan was to play him there over Bobby, remember being slightly pleased that he got injured in Aberdeens LC game as it meant that deal would potentially be off but no it went ahead and we’d wasted one of our loans on a guy we didn’t need and was fkn hopeless left wing and when he played there it meant we left our best player sitting on his arse. 

Re signing LD and Hilson (actually think Hilson has been excellent recently and I’m glad we did keep him) instead of pursuing other options, only then to release LD after trying him in centre midfield (😂) for a couple of games where it was an absolute disaster and actively played a part in us losing football matches. A fkn wild wee experiment 

The need for a striker was there since the minute the final whistle blew on the last game of last season but we put all our eggs into getting a really good one on loan, we didn’t need a Hamilton or a Nouble, if we managed to get someone like that then great but we just needed a couple of half decent steady options that have experience in the leagues. Isiaka has been the fall guy there and the guy that’s been chosen to fill up a shirt cause we’ve made a monumental mess of that

The need for attacking wide players was there from the minute last season ended, we didn’t need world beaters either, guys who have played in the leagues with a bit of pace would be much better than what we have right now. Dylan Patterson too, a member of our squad up until just the other week…  when everyone knew he wouldn’t get anywhere near the park. Why, what was the point of that? We have now signed some YouTube footballer (imagine him playing last night 🤣) as a wide option instead of him. He is signed until January, why? What a waste of money

How after all of his years in football could Dick not see this coming from a mile off?

This isn’t hindsight either this is stuff people have pointed out and made big deals about at the time they happened. It’s a total mystery 

21 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

OK, last night was a horror show. But midweek games are hard on part time players, particularly if they have any distance to travel to get to the venue. However team selection can make a big difference and the manager got it spectacularly wrong last night. He is still relying on last season's tactics of punts upfield for a lone striker to hold the ball until support arrives from midfield. Fine if you have a big guy up front. Not so good when your forward is 6 inches shorter than the defenders he is up against.

It never ends well when it looks like the opposition have more players on the park than you do and that's what it was like last night. We were up against a well organised side and we were like a bunch of guys who hadn't played together before. We were only saved from a hiding by Gaston and poor finishing by Raith.

I'm sure I'll be criticised for saying that the defence actually looked better when O'Brien was injured and Hamilton played alongside Little, with Hancock at left back.

As others have said, if there are no major improvements from us and loss of form from teams above us in the league, we will have to accept that even this early in the season we will be favourites for relegation.

I think the best our defence has looked by far, was against Dundee when we had Bitsindou & Little at centre half with Oakley & Hamilton at full back. Not sure Bitsindou has the mobility to play centre mid, most games are so fast and frantic. We've done more mental things this season than perhaps trying TOB in holding midfield...

The thing is your club is not alone in trying to find a striker or 2. We've been crying out for a striker for months. This season we've signed Connell on loan from Killie, not good enough and a giant from Scandinavia who may be utter trash. Some fans are relying on Lewis Vaughan coming back to set up and score goals, I just feel we cannot put any pressure on a young lad that's had horrendous injuries and could easily break again. No doubt we will all be fighting to try and get Jack Hamilton come January.

16 hours ago, Smokerson said:

You actually haven’t been right about anything.

Theres no evidence of a dressing room rift, just something you’ve made up.

players leave clubs every year.

And this Nouble mates thing is another fantasy. 

1. We all know Noubles mates is true

2. Go check before any under contract players asked to leave 8 weeks after signing a new deal, shows you theres a problem, was it 4 guys who left who had contracts?

I'd say i was very much on point.

But back to Nouble mates, listen relax its ok to have Noubles mates, its not something that should offend you. But its taking us down.

Hilly better start again soon 

Just now, Lichteeeeee said:

1. We all know Noubles mates is true

2. Go check before any under contract players asked to leave 8 weeks after signing a new deal, shows you theres a problem, was it 4 guys who left who had contracts?

I'd say i was very much on point.

But back to Nouble mates, listen relax its ok to have Noubles mates, its not something that should offend you. But its taking us down.

Hilly better start again soon 

When are the seats going in the Pleasureland end again? By the end of this month isn’t it?

12 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I didn’t think we would see another performance as bad as v Cove but that was even worse.

I wasn’t going to say anything in here tonight and I’m probably going to regret some of it (hopefully it comes back to bite me in the erse)… oh, and I’m scared that Lichtieeeeee might “call me out” again.

All of this is my opinion and I’m sure others will disagree with some/lots/all of it.

Mind boggling to start with a short arse winger and an off-form midfielder up front when we have 3 strikers on the bench in a MUST WIN GAME! With the wind at our backs. To then punt long, high balls to them was astonishing. McKenna was dreadful again, complete headless chicken stuff tonight and no where to be seen when balls were crossed or cut back. Bobby tried as usual but you can see that he’s always wanting to go wide, still, he looked (relatively) dangerous and I would have left him on.

Yet again, no one willing to have a shot from distance with the wind at our backs. One half arsed attempt by Tait and Bobby’s weak free kick only. Raith had more long range efforts in the first 5 minutes of the second half than we had in 45. 3 attempts on target (1 decent one) in 90 minutes, at home, with the wind at our back for 45 of them is just not acceptable… again.

Midfield is a shambles. No width or physicality, the amount of times Raith passed through and round us was scary.

Yeah the ref was atrocious but it didn’t change the outcome. We were lucky it was only 0-1.

WTF has happened to our defence? You could argue that we have strengthened with Oakley at RB (who I thought was ok) but the once formidable unit has crumbled. Is TOB injured? Does Hammy ever practice passing a ball? Do we miss C Hamilton playing just in front to break up play?

Apart from the Morton game and the 0-0 draws we have had to chase every league game so far this season. It then becomes ever more desperate, panicky and unstructured as the game goes on.

Lose on Saturday and v Ayr and I can’t see any way we’ll avoid the relegation playoff at the very best. Sounds very early to be so dramatic but the way we’re playing can anyone else see where goals, wins and points are coming from?

If things don’t change, and quick, Is there a case for changing the management team? There has been far too much invested in turning us into a Championship team, on and off the park, to throw it all away so meekly.

Last word for Derek Gaston, single handedly saved us from a scudding.

Pish!

Tattie

All you have said here is spot on for a change :D

My disagreements have only ever been abusing players who are being played out of position, like you say the midfield often gets passed by, he play long balls to guys who are not even strikers at times.

For example, Nouble has the physical presence to play that kind of game and does it well

We are trying to make Mckenna play in a similar role using the same tactics, or Shanks, Fosu, Hilson or whatever .

To say Shanks, Fosu, Hilson etc are this or that because they are forced to play in a role that the management want to try and create its madness from the management team.

yes it worked with big Hamilton when he came in.

But for me, we need to change tactics, approach and start playing players in positions where they will excel.

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Can I just point out, at the start of the season, we beat all comers and won our league cup group.  There was plenty of optimism about the season. Lets not revise history, eh?

Football fans being optimistic about a season before the season starts?

NO WAY THAT NEVER HAPPENS!! 😱

3 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Need to bin the diamond formation pronto too,

Back to 4-4-2, 

Get Linn on the wing and Mckenna supporting Hilson upfront, 

A fit Scott Stewart on the right hopefully soon and 2 centre midfielders,

Play people in there proper positions would maybe help too, 

Diamond would work with 2 strikers.

Doesn't work by playing no strikers.

So Dicks interview.

Mentions numerous times we are not creating enough in front of goal.

Well if you only have 1 or 0 wingers, no playmaker in the midfield and play with no actual striker of course you are not going to create anything.

The fact he complains its been like that for 5 games that tells a lot. Maybe its your tactics and team selection that has led to a bereft of chances.

Mentions he started McKenna but unsure if he was fit. Surely him and the player would know that beforehand. Why not use him as a sub for the last 30 mins. Ease him back into the team?

Then say Hilson has been good but not creative enough in front of goal so thats why he was dropped.

But we should all should just get a grip eh!