The Arbroath Thread

16 minutes ago, keptie said:

Don't see anything wrong with that tbh. If they're good enough who cares where we get them from.

The ‘If they’re good enough’ doing a lot of heavy lifting here, so far none of them look anywhere near good enough not just for this league but for the leagues below us 

If we go down this will be why. Hope the lads great and wish him all the best and I hope I am wrong but I’m sick fed up of this pish

Seems to be another desperate buy but I'd love to be wrong, 

Buying a player who plays in the same position ad Fosu and Corfe doesn't sau much for them...

Watching a a stream of the ICT game, Hamilton really do like running the clock down ar any opportunity 

Edited by lichtiekev

3 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Seems to be another desperate buy but I'd love to be wrong, 

Buying a player who plays in the same position ad Fosu and Corfe doesn't sau much for them...

Watching a a stream of the ICT game, Hamilton really do like running the clock down ar any opportunity 

Surely we haven’t bought him? He’d be a free agent 

Oh well, was nice to be off the bottom for a few short days.

Also baffled by this new signing. Obviously we all hope he’s brilliant but looks like yet another left-field punt… and as is standard, NOT a striker.

Edited by Tattie36

To be fair to this guy he seems to have had some (minimal) game time at a good level and was on trial at Reading this year 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11102771/amp/Ex-Newcastle-United-winger-Yasin-Ben-El-Mhanni-trial-Reading.html

We will see

That’s an interesting article and maybe explains a lot. Good luck to him.

48 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Oh well, was nice to be off the bottom for a few short days.

Also baffled by this new signing. Obviously we all hope he’s brilliant but looks like yet another left-field punt… and as is standard, NOT a striker.

You should have a look at the Raith thread.  Its identical.  Complaints about not having any strikers, demands that the manager signs one, comments about the lack of strikers in the Scottish game, complaints about taking "punts", lack of patience with any signings.

Hopefully this guy gets given a bit of time to get up to speed, and is willing to actually take shots on goal.

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You should have a look at the Raith thread.  Its identical.  Complaints about not having any strikers, demands that the manager signs one, comments about the lack of strikers in the Scottish game, complaints about taking "punts", lack of patience with any signings.

Hopefully this guy gets given a bit of time to get up to speed, and is willing to actually take shots on goal.

Mate the guy is 26 years old and has played 42 games. Who have Raith Rovers got that’s even anywhere near similar to that, or to Fosu / Corfe / Isiaka? 

Every signing DC makes like the above and Bakare / Ford just makes me lose faith in him even more, this isn’t how Dick got to where he is today. It’s the exact opposite of how he got here.

All of our successful signings have been steady solid lower league players, none of them tearing up trees just good guys and steady footballers. Players you want to keep around the place, our success has been built up with consistency and a strong team spirit built up over time with guys like that. 

These short term random gambles just reek of desperation, there is absolutely zero stability with any of them, the chances that any of these guys will be here a year from now is extremely low. I would love this guy to be good but on paper this is just up there with the rest of them, 26 years old and 27 games played in the last 6 years. 

He seems to be a YouTube footballer, extremely skeptical that’ll transfer well into the Scottish Championship… Deri Corfe would be good on the old YouTube I bet…. Acted as a body double for Neymar, great, let’s go sign that boy fae Goal and the lassie from Bend it Like Beckham while we’re at it 

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair to this guy he seems to have had some (minimal) game time at a good level and was on trial at Reading this year 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11102771/amp/Ex-Newcastle-United-winger-Yasin-Ben-El-Mhanni-trial-Reading.html

We will see

Looks and sounds a very promising signing, If he is only here until January at a minimum we need to try and give him as much game time as possible to see what he can do as I honestly still don’t know about Corfe and Kareem as haven’t seen enough. Oakley, Tait and now Bitsindou though been immense while Fosu has been okay. 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Hoping for a big 3 points tonight to kickstart this home trio

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Mate the guy is 26 years old and has played 42 games. Who have Raith Rovers got that’s even anywhere near similar to that, or to Fosu / Corfe / Isiaka? 

Every signing DC makes like the above and Bakare / Ford just makes me lose faith in him even more, this isn’t how Dick got to where he is today. It’s the exact opposite of how he got here.

All of our successful signings have been steady solid lower league players, none of them tearing up trees just good guys and steady footballers. Players you want to keep around the place, our success has been built up with consistency and a strong team spirit built up over time with guys like that. 

These short term random gambles just reek of desperation, there is absolutely zero stability with any of them, the chances that any of these guys will be here a year from now is extremely low. I would love this guy to be good but on paper this is just up there with the rest of them, 26 years old and 27 games played in the last 6 years. 

He seems to be a YouTube footballer, extremely skeptical that’ll transfer well into the Scottish Championship… Deri Corfe would be good on the old YouTube I bet…. Acted as a body double for Neymar, great, let’s go sign that boy fae Goal and the lassie from Bend it Like Beckham while we’re at it 

All we can do as fans mate is get behind all these new signings and hope they do the best for AFC 🇱🇻⚽🔥 On paper and on C.V it looks all amazing but like you said how long for and can it translate into Scottish Championship football? Yeah I’ve been surprised big time by DC in the market this season as it’s a different approach like he has done before. Dylan Tait been the standout so far for me closely followed by Oakley & Bitsindou, Hopefully once properly fit Scotty Allan will be aswell because once he gets going and we have a settled starting lineup now we are back to full strength things should start coming along nicely starting with winning 3 home games in a row 🤩

2 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

All we can do as fans mate is get behind all these new signings and hope they do the best for AFC 🇱🇻⚽🔥 On paper and on C.V it looks all amazing but like you said how long for and can it translate into Scottish Championship football? Yeah I’ve been surprised big time by DC in the market this season as it’s a different approach like he has done before. Dylan Tait been the standout so far for me closely followed by Oakley & Bitsindou, Hopefully once properly fit Scotty Allan will be aswell because once he gets going and we have a settled starting lineup now we are back to full strength things should start coming along nicely starting with winning 3 home games in a row 🤩

Trust me I am hoping Fosu or Corfe or Isiaka come good as well as this guy we are nearly a third of the way through the season though and I have my doubts. Even with Shanks to an extent, don’t think he’s ready to make an impact in the Championship and think a loan might’ve suited him but we’ve recruited so poorly in these areas we’ve had to keep him around. 

On all our loan signings I like them all they all have their plus points but again I never doubted any of them. They are coming from good clubs and are FT professional footballers looking to make their way in the game they were always going to be steady and solid options 

Didn’t think Hamilton would win last night but they did and it’s really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Really need to take at least 6 points out of the next 3 home games or we’re likely to be cut adrift at the bottom. Saturday also marks 1/3 of the season gone and if we’re still sitting on 7 or 8 points then it’s going to be incredibly difficult to claw it back and reach the magical 42 points. The January window will likely cone too late.

Conversely, we could win all 3 wins and suddenly be mid table and thinking about a playoff place.

It’s far too early in the season for such stress.

9 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Didn’t think Hamilton would win last night but they did and it’s really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Really need to take at least 6 points out of the next 3 home games or we’re likely to be cut adrift at the bottom. Saturday also marks 1/3 of the season gone and if we’re still sitting on 7 or 8 points then it’s going to be incredibly difficult to claw it back and reach the magical 42 points. The January window will likely cone too late.

Conversely, we could win all 3 wins and suddenly be mid table and thinking about a playoff place.

It’s far too early in the season for such stress.

Recent performances have been encouraging but 1 win in 10 games is grim grim reading. We need a run from somewhere to take the pressure off

51 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What did Bakare do wrong?  He had one start in his entire time here, in which he looked pretty good (game against Morton near the end of the season).  Guy barely had a chance.  And yet if you ask some of our fans, he seems to be one of our worst ever signings.  

You know, Arsene Wenger used to say that he gave foreign signings a year to adapt.  Here, its apparently 3 games.  What has Isiaka done wrong?  And Fosu, who has played plenty of games and looks fine. Corfe hasn't been brilliant so far to be fair, but the way you spin it, everyone who isnt Scottish is apparently a disaster for us.

And now you have this guy, who was one of those racially abused by Beardsley, and was rewarded for coming forward by coincidentally not having his contract extended.  He might give us something different, he might not be a success, but no doubt you've made your mind up before he even gets near a football pitch.

And why don't you have a look at the Raith thread.  They've taken a punt on a Faeroese striker, seemingly as there are no goalscorers in the Scottish league (sound familiar?).  He's barely arrived, and already their fans are sceptical.

52 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What did Bakare do wrong?  He had one start in his entire time here, in which he looked pretty good (game against Morton near the end of the season).  Guy barely had a chance.  And yet if you ask some of our fans, he seems to be one of our worst ever signings.  

You know, Arsene Wenger used to say that he gave foreign signings a year to adapt.  Here, its apparently 3 games.  What has Isiaka done wrong?  And Fosu, who has played plenty of games and looks fine. Corfe hasn't been brilliant so far to be fair, but the way you spin it, everyone who isnt Scottish is apparently a disaster for us.

And now you have this guy, who was one of those racially abused by Beardsley, and was rewarded for coming forward by coincidentally not having his contract extended.  He might give us something different, he might not be a success, but no doubt you've made your mind up before he even gets near a football pitch.

And why don't you have a look at the Raith thread.  They've taken a punt on a Faeroese striker, seemingly as there are no goalscorers in the Scottish league (sound familiar?).  He's barely arrived, and already their fans are sceptical.

A better question would’ve been what did Bakare actually do? It was a total waste of a signing

And we don’t have the luxury of allowing anyone a year to adapt, fucking hell, our situation and Arsenals situation isn’t even remotely similar? 😂

And Fosu needs to do more than be ok, he just looks like he fits in. Corfe / Fosu / Isiaka / Shanks / El Mhanni all these guys play in areas that need to score goals and create chances. End of 

And can you stop trying to insinuate that the reason these signings are getting criticised is because these guys aren’t Scottish? It’s very weird 

That Faroese striker is ONE player, one punt, not 5/6 of their squad. The guys also played International football 4 times 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Fosu has not been ok. He’s been ok in 1 game. 

I would tend to agree too, he’s looked fit enough and not totally out of his depth but we need much more than that, he has contributed very little in any meaningful way

Also just to touch on what Exiled Lichtie said I’ve not written anyone off I would love to win 3-0 the night with Fosu, Corfe and Isiaka scoring but basic common sense tells you that is not happening. Before we signed them basic common sense told you that they’d probably struggle. I thought we would just run with maybe one or two of them and see what like but it’s scary we’ve filled our forward areas with players like this 

New guy fits the mould of all of the above and gives off red flags right away