The Arbroath Thread

21 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Taking Bobby off is just wild, could understand

D.C's thinking will be that due to Bobby's age he is better getting subbed mid way through the 2nd half of games - with the plan to keep him fit and free from injury for the following game(s).

I think if Bobby can maintain his fitness he can play at this level again next season - but I can understand the reasoning for him getting subbed after around 60 mins of game time.

Also, Hilson is looking sharp and a much improved player - he will get more goals this season.

Looking like we are back on track and think we will pick up  few good points in the next 3 games.

It's great watching Bobby roll back these years putting in these performances - long may it continue.

On 15/10/2022 at 20:44, Lichtie78 said:

The problem isn't even just that only Bobby can score, it's that he's the only person even willing to have a shot. Keepers at this level are generally not that great yet we always give them the easiest 90 minutes of their season because we simply do not shoot.

During warm up we have practise shooting from the edge of the box yet hardly anyone tries it during games. Other teams don't seem to have a problem trying a shot from distance but, apart from Bobby's free kicks, we seem to. Maybe the manager should encourage midfielders to have a go at shooting from outside the box.

What’s that Wayne Gretzky ice hockey quote? - “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”.

He scored loads of goals, partly because he was always willing to shoot from pretty much anywhere.

We really need to shoot more from distance, not just Linn. The Cove game was a great example, we had the wind marginally in our favour in the second half but only one attempt from outside the box. I would rather we had 10 failed attempts from distance in a match than 0 failed attempts from distance.

I have no issue with Bobby coming off in games, its actually sensible given his age and also think in certain games, he can come off the bench and be an impact, starting 40 odd games a season at his age is a big ask. The problem is we simply don't have any better options on the bench or to play ahead of him, hopefully this changes in January.

28 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I have no issue with Bobby coming off in games, its actually sensible given his age and also think in certain games, he can come off the bench and be an impact, starting 40 odd games a season at his age is a big ask. The problem is we simply don't have any better options on the bench or to play ahead of him, hopefully this changes in January.

Why is it a big ask what other player in the team does 12 miles a day at their work plus 2 nights of boxing training plus football? He must be one of the fittest players we have got. How would leaving him on for an extra 20 minutes on Friday night for example make any real difference to him and why is it sensible when we need a goal to potentially win a game?

I don’t get it, if we played him more last season especially in the games we dominated at home and drew it genuinely could’ve been the difference in us winning that league  

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why is it a big ask what other player in the team does 12 miles a day at their work plus 2 nights of boxing training plus football? He must be one of the fittest players we have got. How would leaving him on for an extra 20 minutes on Friday night for example make any real difference to him and why is it sensible when we need a goal to potentially win a game?

I don’t get it, if we played him more last season especially in the games we dominated at home and drew it genuinely could’ve been the difference in us winning that league  

I am actually in favour in keeping him on, just shows how poor our recruitment at the top end of the pitch has been when we think a 38 year old should be playing 90 minutues every game.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

I am actually in favour in keeping him on, just shows how poor our recruitment at the top end of the pitch has been when we think a 38 year old should be playing 90 minutues every game.

You play your best players as much as you possibly can. I feel like his age is working against him though it is just a number I mean he’s not your average 37 year old, guys doing 60 miles a week walking / jogging, 2 nights a week boxing, 2 nights a week football training and a match. That’s a ridiculous schedule

If it is taking its toll on him then just give him a lighter training session one night or whatever just keep him on the park as much as we possibly can. I understand bringing on the fresh legs v Dundee when we are against the wind and 3 points probably unlikely and the point would be fine. Get someone on who’s better at the dirty work but for games like Friday and at Cove etc just keep the guy on

eta : but agree with you in regards to recruitment and options on bench 

Edited by 1320Lichtie