The Arbroath Thread

Unable to make today. Too many family commitments and impossible to get to Arbroath for 2:00. If it was 3:00 I could make it.

Hope the recent poor performances don’t have a detrimental effect on the turnout. If anyone deserves it it’s him.

Wpuld be nice if there was a fund to contribute to for those who can’t make it.

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Unable to make today. Too many family commitments and impossible to get to Arbroath for 2:00. If it was 3:00 I could make it.

Hope the recent poor performances don’t have a detrimental effect on the turnout. If anyone deserves it it’s him.

Wpuld be nice if there was a fund to contribute to for those who can’t make it.

Yup agree, if there a fund going for this man then I will chuck in some bawbee’s.

October is looking like a big Month already in our season for casting Judgement, 5 games to come with 4 of them at fortress Gayfield 🇱🇻⚽️ This is our team now until at least January and With TOB Stewart & McKenna to return I reckon we will turn the corner. I would love for us to go back to basics and just pack the midfield with more fight and energy. Gold, Jacobs Hancock and Allan only when actually properly fit will provide great options when subs are required as the game goes on when the midfield/Defense tires and would like to also see Shanks & Paterson get more chances too in an attacking sense, The jury is still clearly out on Fosu & Corfe with Kareem yet to even show us what he can do. 

Gaston 

Oakley TOB Little Hammy

Stewart Bitsindou McKenna Tait Bobby

Hilson

If possible this is the team that should start on Saturday 

11 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

October is looking like a big Month already in our season for casting Judgement, 5 games to come with 4 of them at fortress Gayfield 🇱🇻⚽️ This is our team now until at least January and With TOB Stewart & McKenna to return I reckon we will turn the corner. I would love for us to go back to basics and just pack the midfield with more fight and energy. Gold, Jacobs Hancock and Allan only when actually properly fit will provide great options when subs are required as the game goes on when the midfield/Defense tires and would like to also see Shanks & Paterson get more chances too in an attacking sense, The jury is still clearly out on Fosu & Corfe with Kareem yet to even show us what he can do. 

Gaston 

Oakley TOB Little Hammy

Stewart Bitsindou McKenna Tait Bobby

Hilson

If possible this is the team that should start on Saturday 

Stewart was in a moon boot yesterday 

We will get beat by Dundee on Saturday and more than likely get beat by QP the following Friday if things do not change drastically and quick. There looks like a top 5 and bottom 5 once again this year, the problem is we are too easy to play against just now so against the better teams I think we will really struggle to pick up points.

Against the teams in and around us on our day we can beat them but we have not had enough of them. I really did think after Morton we had something but Saturday past brought me back down to earth with a bang. We have good football players but we are not a team and are seriously lacking in attacking areas of the park. Like big time, genuinely so far short of where we need to be upfront and in wide areas. 

I would agree with your team when fit but I would have Allan in over Hilson. Allan took a lot of stick after Saturday but everyone was terrible, it’s a team game. He still tried to get on the ball and make something happen, nobody else did Bobby aside. Tait did at the start of the game too but he lost the ball so many times (one resulting in a one on one for them) I think it affected him and he just completely fell out of the game 

Bitsindou needs to play even if he was to be having a terrible game he’s still a physical presence in there and will win his fair share just due to his size. He won a few headers in the middle of the park on Saturday and it was like some sort of surreal out of body experience watching us actually win an aerial battle in the middle of the park. 

I would like to know what the script is with ToB and Scott Stewart too. They’re both so important and big players for us but we have absolutely no idea what is up with them or when we can expect to see them back.

I attended Sir Bobby Linn's testimonial yesterday, but was a little disappointed with the attendance - I was really expecting a much higher attendance for one of Arbroath's greatest players in living memory.

Appreciate that money is tight for a lot of people, but the idea of setting up an online tribute for fans who ere unable to attend due to various reasons seems like a good shout.

7 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I attended Sir Bobby Linn's testimonial yesterday, but was a little disappointed with the attendance - I was really expecting a much higher attendance for one of Arbroath's greatest players in living memory.

Appreciate that money is tight for a lot of people, but the idea of setting up an online tribute for fans who ere unable to attend due to various reasons seems like a good shout.

I think 920 is good for what it was, let’s be honest it was always just going to be a laugh and a kick about and a game of walking football. It was not much of a spectacle. It was more than I expected I had a horrible feeling that after the way we’ve been going recently it would’ve affected the crowd big time. I think the timing of this is not great and if we do one for Ricky I really hope it’s during the pre season we were very lucky the weather was ok. There was more at that game yesterday than Cove had on Saturday, only 881 there and there was atleast 2/300 Arbroath fans Saturday too

Asking people to give up their whole weekend to go to the football is a big ask too a lot of people simply cannot do that they have other commitments and things to do so respect to all the players who done that for Bobby and for all the fans who turned up too. People could’ve easily sat in and watched the Manchester derby or saved themselves some money for the October holidays whilst money is so tight just now. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think 920 is good for what it was, let’s be honest it was always just going to be a laugh and a kick about and a game of walking football. It was not much of a spectacle. It was more than I expected I had a horrible feeling that after the way we’ve been going recently it would’ve affected the crowd big time. I think the timing of this is not great and if we do one for Ricky I really hope it’s during the pre season we were very lucky the weather was ok. There was more at that game yesterday than Cove had on Saturday, only 881 there and there was atleast 2/300 Arbroath fans Saturday too

Asking people to give up their whole weekend to go to the football is a big ask too a lot of people simply cannot do that they have other commitments and things to do so respect to all the players who done that for Bobby and for all the fans who turned up too. People could’ve easily sat in and watched the Manchester derby or saved themselves some money for the October holidays whilst money is so tight just now. 

I was also a wee bit disappointed when I saw the turnout but, as you say, there were many contributing factors - lack of big name opponents/players (understandable at this point in the season); awkward kick off day and time; Saturday’s result and performance, the general way the team is playing; the definite drop off in the feel good factor and imo a lack of proper promotion for the game. Having said that, it was as many as were at the Terry Masson testimonial at Montrose a few weeks ago and more half of the turnout for that were Arbroath fans.

Personally, a 2:00 Sunday kick off made it impossible for me to go.

Already said this but I would love it if the club came out with ideas for fans to make a direct financial payment to him. No one deserves it more and it’s something I would love to contribute to.

Re Saturday - it was such a deflating experience and that may have had an impact too. I would say there were at least 400-450 Arbroath fans there, easily as many as Cove had. The main stand was full but it only holds about 250 and half of them would have been officials and comps. Aside from that, they had very few fans dotted about.

20 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I was also a wee bit disappointed when I saw the turnout but, as you say, there were many contributing factors - lack of big name opponents/players (understandable at this point in the season); awkward kick off day and time; Saturday’s result and performance, the general way the team is playing; the definite drop off in the feel good factor and imo a lack of proper promotion for the game. Having said that, it was as many as were at the Terry Masson testimonial at Montrose a few weeks ago and more half of the turnout for that were Arbroath fans.

Personally, a 2:00 Sunday kick off made it impossible for me to go.

Already said this but I would love it if the club came out with ideas for fans to make a direct financial payment to him. No one deserves it more and it’s something I would love to contribute to.

Re Saturday - it was such a deflating experience and that may have had an impact too. I would say there were at least 400-450 Arbroath fans there, easily as many as Cove had. The main stand was full but it only holds about 250 and half of them would have been officials and comps. Aside from that, they had very few fans dotted about.

Yeah don’t think there were anywhere near that many Arbroath fans there like but tbh the 881 seemed high so can understand why you’re saying that, barely anyone in home end it was weird. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah don’t think there were anywhere near that many Arbroath fans there like but tbh the 881 seemed high so can understand why you’re saying that, barely anyone in home end it was weird. 

Yeah maybe you’re right. I was just basing that estimate on the proportion of the crowd that were in our end - half at least. I too thought 881 was high, mind you those end stands hold 850 ish each so maybe it was correct.

Saturday confirmed one thing for me. Aberdeen is very much still a one team city and Cove’s normal home attendance is massively added to by mildly interested Dons fans. 16k home fans at Pittodrie on Saturday, about 350-400 at Cove. It’s going to be a very long, very hard struggle for them to convince locals that it’s the place to be on a Saturday afternoon and to build an actual support. Considering their recent success, the level they’re playing at and the fact that Saturday was their best chance of a win for a while, you would think there would be more interest. I live in Aberdeen and the only two guys I know who go to Cove games (one pretty regularly and one very occasionally) are Dons fans. The latter was at the game with me on Saturday, in our end, so he’s not really invested in them at all.