The Arbroath Thread

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

And when you look at the lack of options we have there (and you have there too by the sound of it) then taking a punt on a loan is definitely something I think we should be doing. We have nothing to lose, if Hilson hadn’t looked really good these last couple weeks we would be doomed 

'Taking a punt' on a player with no proven quality when you still have to pay a portion of their wages is not a credible policy. It is sheer desperation. 

What you lose from that decision is the ability to fully compete for a real forward as/when other players become available in January. 

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:

I’ll just watch Twitter anyway. You never know.

For what it’s worth Ian Campbell said in his courier article they were still looking to add to the squad after the Bitsindou signing so they clearly are trying and having a good think about it

Just now, virginton said:

'Taking a punt' on a player with no proven quality when you still have to pay a portion of their wages is not a credible policy. It is sheer desperation. 

What you lose from that decision is the ability to fully compete for a real forward as/when other players become available in January. 

Mate that’s what we’ve done with 3/4 of our permanent signings already. Isiaka / Corfe and Fosu. Things have been pretty desperate especially the striking situation. It could only be until January too 

I don't think taking a punt on a striker from a Premier League team is really that huge a risk. We obviously have money and IMO it's better to speculate some of that on a potentialy decent goalscorer than do nothing at all. It's riskier not to do anything as we could end up cut adrift by January. We were in a similar postion 2 seasons ago but totally lucked out with Jack Hamilton. Could that happen again? Yes of course but it's massively unlikely, better to try all we can at the moment.

Plus any player who has a full-time contract with a Premiership team isnt exactly of unproven quality. Only the tiniest percentage of what we would call "good players" ever make it to that level.

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I don't think taking a punt on a striker from a Premier League team is really that huge a risk. We obviously have money and IMO it's better to speculate some of that on a potentialy decent goalscorer than do nothing at all. It's riskier not to do anything as we could end up cut adrift by January. We were in a similar postion 2 seasons ago but totally lucked out with Jack Hamilton. Could that happen again? Yes of course but it's massively unlikely, better to try all we can at the moment.

Plus any player who has a full-time contract with a Premiership team isnt exactly of unproven quality. Only the tiniest percentage of what we would call "good players" ever make it to that level.

Our 3 strikers are Hilson who has made scoring goals look like the hardest thing to do on the planet over the past 2.5 years (hopefully this changes I would love that to happen for him)

Young Shanks who’s shown promise but I don’t think he’s up to this level (which is understandable he’s only played a season in the Highland League and he’s a young lad), he got released from a Premiership youth team at 18 and Isiaka who’s 21 and been in the second division in Iceland. Hadn’t played a proper game for a year before last week

A teenager from a Premiership youth team would be very welcome in my honest opinion

I can see why some people disagree however it does seem desperate especially from the outside but i think we are pretty desperate 

If we don’t then Hilson it’s all on you mate 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Our 3 strikers are Hilson who has made scoring goals look like the hardest thing to do on the planet over the past 2.5 years (hopefully this changes I would love that to happen for him)

Young Shanks who’s shown promise but I don’t think he’s up to this level, he got released from a Premiership youth team at 18 and Isiaka who’s 21 and been in the second division in Iceland. Hadn’t played a proper game for a year before last week

A teenager from a Premiership youth team would be very welcome in my honest opinion

I can see why some people disagree however it does seem desperate especially from the outside but i think we are pretty desperate 

If we don’t then Hilson it’s all on you mate 

Yep, agree with all of that although I do rate Shanks higher than some. He just needs a partner.

Is it ideal taking a small risk on a young "unproven" Premiership striker? Of course not and if we had done that 2 months ago we would all have all been crying out for someone better and more experienced.

However, as you say, we are desperate and we need someone, anyone. Even keeping LD would have seen us in a better position than we are now.

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

Loan strikers still cost money in wages so you absolutely do have something to lose by committing yourselves to a haddy.

That Campbell can't seem to find a centre forward given recent successes makes me comfortable (though disappointed) with Morton's identical predicament in finding a no. 9. It's quite clear that there are next to no credible options available in the market - signing a total donkey just for the sake of it is a really stupid response to that. 

Identical?  I heard from a reliable source that the rest of the league all have better strikers, and its only our manager who never bothered to sign a free scoring marksman, of which there are apparently hundreds of.

34 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I don't think taking a punt on a striker from a Premier League team is really that huge a risk. 

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Morton signed a centre forward from Tottenham called 'Kaziah Sterling' 18 months ago. He was one of the worst attackers in the club's entire history, despite having a professional contract at a genuine European super club in terms of revenue. 

You are indeed utterly desperate if you want your club to throw away money on any ringer from a 'higher level' just so that you can say you've made a forward signing.

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

Morton signed a centre forward from Tottenham called 'Kaziah Sterling' 18 months ago. He was one of the worst attackers in the club's entire history, despite having a professional contract at a genuine European super club in terms of revenue. 

You are indeed utterly desperate if you want your club to throw away money on any ringer from a 'higher level' just so that you can say you've made a forward signing.

Normally I, and I'm sure everyone else, would agree with you but I don't think you quite understand how bad our situation is. Read 1320Lichtie's recent post to understand how threadbare we are up front.

If you were to ask a fan of any team who they would pick if given the choice of signing a player from Spurs or the Icelandic second division (also been rejected by a few clubs in this division as not good enought to sign and hasn't played a competitive game in a year) then I don't think anyone would pick the latter option. Yes your Spurs guy was sh!t and Isiaka could (and I sincerely hope he is) turn out to be brilliant but logic states it's unlikely.

Edited by Tattie36

Yep, agree with all of that although I do rate Shanks higher than some. He just needs a partner.
Is it ideal taking a small risk on a young "unproven" Premiership striker? Of course not and if we had done that 2 months ago we would all have all been crying out for someone better and more experienced.
However, as you say, we are desperate and we need someone, anyone. Even keeping LD would have seen us in a better position than we are now.

No

6 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

No

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

One million percent this.  

All of it or just the LD bit? I was being a bit tongue in cheek re LD as I think it was obvious I was never a big fan. My point was simply that we need more options up front and he was an option, not a good one, but an option none the less.

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Normally I, and I'm sure everyone else, would agree with you but I don't think you quite understand how bad our situation is. Read 1320Lichtie's recent post to understand how threadbare we are up front.

If you were to ask a fan of any team who they would pick if given the choice of signing a player from Spurs or the Icelandic second division (also been rejected by a few clubs in this division as not good enought to sign and hasn't played a competitive game in a year) then I don't think anyone would pick the latter option. Yes your Spurs guy was sh!t and Isiaka could (and I sincerely hope he is) turn out to be brilliant but logic states it's unlikely.

Excuse me? We've got Robbie Muirhead as our only designated no. 9 in our squad. And that donkey has been at the club for three fucking years now. 

My heart really bleeds then that for once you haven't landed a 20 goal a season hotshot from Livingston and have to slum it with the rest of the jobber clubs in the division until January. Get a grip of yourselves. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Excuse me? We've got Robbie Muirhead as our only designated no. 9 in our squad. And that donkey has been at the club for three fucking years now. 

My heart really bleeds then that for once you haven't landed a 20 goal a season hotshot from Livingston and have to slum it with the rest of the jobber clubs in the division until January. Get a grip of yourselves. 

😂😂  Fair play, that was funny!

All of it or just the LD bit? I was being a bit tongue in cheek re LD as I think it was obvious I was never a big fan. My point was simply that we need more options up front and he was an option, not a good one, but an option none the less.

The LD bit. Best for him and us.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

😆 Touché

Arbroath announce the signing of Robbie Muirhead on loan.

17 hours ago, Hayshead2 said:

More Nonsense.

Was referring more  to your bullshit about McAllister, JT/Craigen/Luke.

Zilch about football ????

Hester ????

Stay off the mushrooms.

I will stay off the mushrooms if you do not go to your next "Save The Hedgehogs" meeting and glueing yourself to various public areas under the name of Treetrunk Tobby Ya Walloper!!

Everybody to their own i suppose.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

9 hours ago, virginton said:

I would take Robbie Muirhead and Quitongo… and again it’s not about a 20 goal a season hot shot I’d be extremely happy with someone who just looked like they could play centre forward and score a couple of goals between now and January

14 weeks of Hilson, Shanks and Isiaka is making me feel very uneasy. Midfield is going to have to step up 

I think Hilson should be given a run uptop as the main man in the 9. He’s not really had that here, cmon Hilly SOS

Edited by 1320Lichtie