The Arbroath Thread

If today's match proved anything to me, it's 

Corfe ain't a striker 

Shanks ain't a Championship level striker

Hilly is a good technical footballer, but not a striker 

Bobby is a great winger, who should get loads more game time,  but he clearly isn't a striker

McKenna great player, links the play,  knows where the goals are, but IMO isn't an out and out striker 

Isiaka, honestly don't know yet

I thought Hilson did fine until we needed to reshuffle, and he ended up on the wing, where he did nothing.  Indeed, he drained all the attacking intent out of our team.  He was way better up front.

Isiaka I think did enough to get more chances.  He had an overhead kick saved, another off the line, and he stayed up and central, where a striker should be!  He didnt get a lot of service until Linn and Corfe came on, but I think he showed promise.

I think what alarms me is how much of a difference that bringing Linn on makes. He's 37, he shouldnt be making that much of an impact!  What does that say about the rest of our squad.

I get that it was an emergency makeshift team, so I'm not going to be too critical.  Playing 4 fullbacks across the defence doesnt work though.  We got caught out a few times.  But needs must.  I'm just glad we got through, ultimately fairly comfortably.

If today's match proved anything to me, it's 
Corfe ain't a striker 
Shanks ain't a Championship level striker
Hilly is a good technical footballer, but not a striker 
Bobby is a great winger, who should get loads more game time,  but he clearly isn't a striker
McKenna great player, links the play,  knows where the goals are, but IMO isn't an out and out striker 
Isiaka, honestly don't know yet
So you are saying we need another striker.

Well better wait until the end of January then.

Actually liked having Stewart in the backline doing the "ToB" job of coming forward and breaking through the midfield lines. 

Oakley does an immense amount of running. A bit better on his final balls and he will do a good job. Same goes for Hancock.

Allan is screaming out for quick wingers for him to ping balls out to. Seen his frustration many times when an opportunity to release them wasn't done because our wingers have zero pace.

Still have little to no idea what Fosu is meant to be. Big guy, can't header, no pace, little vision, no finishing. Him going back and covering Oakley most of the game said it all.

If there is no striker coming in then it's going to be a big struggle.

2 minutes ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

Actually liked having Stewart in the backline doing the "ToB" job of coming forward and breaking through the midfield lines. 

Oakley does an immense amount of running. A bit better on his final balls and he will do a good job. Same goes for Hancock.

Allan is screaming out for quick wingers for him to ping balls out to. Seen his frustration many times when an opportunity to release them wasn't done because our wingers have zero pace.

Still have little to no idea what Fosu is meant to be. Big guy, can't header, no pace, little vision, no finishing. Him going back and covering Oakley most of the game said it all.

If there is no striker coming in then it's going to be a big struggle.

Is that seriously your take on the game ? Allan kept losing the ball because our wingers are slow ? Wow 

Thought it was a great start to the game and then we just started going through the motions a bit which is understandable. I thought Isiaka had something about him considering he's had little game time. Allan started well but faded second half but that should improve.

Linn still the standout for me. Play him until he's unable anymore.

Special mention for scott stewart btw, if we could clone him I’d probably have him at rb, cb, rm, cm and he could probably do a job upfront. Joking aside there’s nothing overly fancy about his game but he’s good in the air, quick, strong and does all the basics well, he’s been a great signing.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

Special mention for scott stewart btw, if we could clone him I’d probably have him at rb, cb, rm, cm and he could probably do a job upfront. Joking aside there’s nothing overly fancy about his game but he’s good in the air, quick, strong and does all the basics well, he’s been a great signing.

100% brilliant attitude. 

Loved watching the interaction with him and his old man at QP match

🙂

Thought we started well, keeping the ball on the ground, passing it around,  keeping possession and looking good all round. Early goals and we were cruising. Hilson having another good game and scoring again.

Second half we went off the boil, more so after McKenna's injury, hope it isn't too bad and he's fit for next week. We let EF get back into the game. Their number 17, Balde, was a handful, just as well his final ball was terrible. Then we gave away a silly late goal. 

After his good first half Hilson was moved out wide to allow Shanks and Isiaka to take up the more central striking positions. Bobby Linn again showed that he is worth a starting place in the side. So a win but still questions about Isiaka, Corfe and Shanks. 

On the Hilson issue;

For the last couple of seasons, he's maybe been seen as a bit of an afterthought. He'd play upfront when we were missing Nouble/Dowds/Hamilton, knowing that he'd be straight back on the bench as soon as they were available.

He'd play on the wing or off the striker when we were missing Stewart/McKenna/Craigen, again knowing he'd be straight back to the bench even if he played well.

It can't be easy to keep yourself motivated when you're in that position and it may be that he was trying too hard.

However, it looks like he's going to get a sustained run so maybe it will help him find a bit of form. 2 good finishes in his last 2 games maybe means a corner has been turned.

Additionally, we look at the lower league teams we've played in the cup this season. Every game has been a bit of a stroll. I think it would be unlikely we would find a better striker than Hilson down there and the ones that might be are likely at the FT teams.

On 24/09/2022 at 15:24, DUAFC said:

Just listened to Dicks interview, I have lost any hope we will bring anyone in before the window shuts, 

Also he mentions 1 or 2 didn't perform well, I have a feeling he is aiming that at Linn, He was throwing his hand a up and pointing towards the corner after we lost the late goal, obviously Linns corner didn't beat the first man and they scored from it, 

Can't really say anyone played poorly in the game, some players aren't quite good enough but I think it's unfair for him to say some didn't play well,

5 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Just listened to Dicks interview, I have lost any hope we will bring anyone in before the window shuts, 

Also he mentions 1 or 2 didn't perform well, I have a feeling he is aiming that at Linn, He was throwing his hand a up and pointing towards the corner after we lost the late goal, obviously Linns corner didn't beat the first man and they scored from it, 

Can't really say anyone played poorly in the game, some players aren't quite good enough but I think it's unfair for him to say some didn't play well,

I think Dick is feeling the pressure of such a poor start. Doesn’t have the media eating out his hand this season 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT 

Congratulations to Dale Hilson on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 2-1 win over East Fife yesterday. Dale not only won the penalty that Michael McKenna slotted home to put us in front but also scored a delightful 25 yarder just a few minutes later. 

D4F8E3CC-2626-4892-80D7-2A88C9593CD8.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

On the Hilson issue;

For the last couple of seasons, he's maybe been seen as a bit of an afterthought. He'd play upfront when we were missing Nouble/Dowds/Hamilton, knowing that he'd be straight back on the bench as soon as they were available.

He'd play on the wing or off the striker when we were missing Stewart/McKenna/Craigen, again knowing he'd be straight back to the bench even if he played well.

It can't be easy to keep yourself motivated when you're in that position and it may be that he was trying too hard.

However, it looks like he's going to get a sustained run so maybe it will help him find a bit of form. 2 good finishes in his last 2 games maybe means a corner has been turned.

Additionally, we look at the lower league teams we've played in the cup this season. Every game has been a bit of a stroll. I think it would be unlikely we would find a better striker than Hilson down there and the ones that might be are likely at the FT teams.

Agree in a way but put Hilson into a lower league team….

Its a stroll in the park because we are so much stronger in 9 out of the 11 positions than other part time teams it doesn’t mean there aren’t better individual players out there in that one position