The Arbroath Thread

43 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Piss poor from him to be honest after having 3/4 months to sign strikers and ending up with our current options is a massive failure, maybe we have aimed too high and missed out but there were steadier safer options out there

Thank f**k Hilson looked like Aguero last week eh… 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Piss poor from him to be honest after having 3/4 months to sign strikers and ending up with our current options is a massive failure, maybe we have aimed too high and missed out but there were steadier safer options out there

Thank f**k Hilson looked like Aguero last week eh… 

I think you’re right. I think we were probably aiming too high, missed out and then had to resort to a panic buy in Isiaka. Absolutely not writing him off at all and he may come good but it definitely has a whiff of Ford and Bakare about it.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I kind of think we should have held on to Donnelly.

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I think you’re right. I think we were probably aiming too high, missed out and then had to resort to a panic buy in Isiaka. Absolutely not writing him off at all and he may come good but it definitely has a whiff of Ford and Bakare about it.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I kind of think we should have held on to Donnelly.

Barry Sellars confirmed my suspicions that the guy we were wanting from Birmingham went to Grimsby last minute on the Smokies and Wine podcast. Pink and DC were in a hotel expecting him supposedly but Grimsby paid £800 more of his 3k a week wages than we were willing to pay. Not looked at how that guys got on but I imagine he would’ve been a success. 21 and saw Sheffield Wednesday were interested. 

But problem is aiming for guys like that when (at the time) you’ve got Hilson, LD and Shanks as your only other back up options seems like a mistake to me. I think we should’ve started a fresh slate uptop at the end of last season and tried building something new. 

Hilson excellent last week though so hopefully he keeps up a good level of performance and more importantly scores some more goals, even if he’s not at his best

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Barry Sellars confirmed my suspicions that the guy we were wanting from Birmingham went to Grimsby last minute on the Smokies and Wine podcast. Pink and DC were in a hotel expecting him supposedly but Grimsby paid £800 more of his 3k a week wages than we were willing to pay. Not looked at how that guys got on but I imagine he would’ve been a success. 21 and saw Sheffield Wednesday were interested. 

But problem is aiming for guys like that when (at the time) you’ve got Hilson, LD and Shanks as your only other back up options seems like a mistake to me. I think we should’ve started a fresh slate uptop at the end of last season and tried building something new. 

Hilson excellent last week though so hopefully he keeps up a good level of performance and more importantly scores some more goals, even if he’s not at his best

I think that approach is mental. All we needed after last season was to sensibly consolidate. No fan would be upset with a safe mid-table finish. Bring in an experienced striker (e.g. McAllister) to complement Shanks and a loanee. Not saying not to try something a bit different but there should have been safer options, as a priority, in place first before such a risky move.

Hopefully the management learn a big lesson from this.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I think that approach is mental. All we needed after last season was to sensibly consolidate. No fan would be upset with a safe mid-table finish. Bring in an experienced striker (e.g. McAllister) to complement Shanks and a loanee. Not saying not to try something a bit different but there should have been safer options, as a priority, in place first before such a risky move.

Hopefully the management learn a big lesson from this.

Think they clearly just massively overrated LD and Hilson maybe off the back of last seasons buzz.

Again don’t want to seem to harsh on Hilson cause maybe Saturday can be the game he pushes on from but in the summer would’ve moved they two on and tried two different options from either L1 or L2 to see how they’d get on here.

Rory McAllister seems like such an obvious option we for whatever reason just didn’t look at. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think they clearly just massively overrated LD and Hilson maybe off the back of last seasons buzz.

Again don’t want to seem to harsh on Hilson cause maybe Saturday can be the game he pushes on from but in the summer would’ve moved they two on and tried two different options from either L1 or L2 to see how they’d get on here.

Rory McAllister seems like such an obvious option we for whatever reason just didn’t look at. 

Part of me really gets why the management were looking at left-field signings. I am 100% convinced that if we had Nouble all of last season then we would have won the league, probably quite comfortably. Unearthing another one of him must have been a very tantalising prospect but other Noubles just don’t exist at that level.

I can just picture Dick and Ian - “Rory Mcallister? Good player but he’s past it and anyway just wait until they see who we are signing”. Again, an understandable approach but risky as feck.

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Part of me really gets why the management were looking at left-field signings. I am 100% convinced that if we had Nouble all of last season then we would have won the league, probably quite comfortably. Unearthing another one of him must have been a very tantalising prospect but other Noubles just don’t exist at that level.

I can just picture Dick and Ian - “Rory Mcallister? Good player but he’s past it and anyway just wait until they see who we are signing”. Again, an understandable approach but risky as feck.

Yeah also think the market here will be really tough and usually you’d even say from January onwards we should have been having a really good look at guys in L1 and L2 but we had much more important things going on and being a Scottish Championship club it’s not like we have a scouting department or whatever to go and watch players. Dick and Ian have to do it themselves or rely on guys they know in the game. 

It is a bit of a farce with the B teams and 5 subs rule too I mean wtf is the point of Euan Henderson or whatever being at Hearts just now. Understand Boyce injured. Inness Cameron another one, they had Lafferty / Shaw and Cameron on the bench last week. Lafferty acting the fud probably kept Cameron there. Understand we were looking at an option from St Johnstone but they’ve got Chris Kane injured just now too. It does seem like a really difficult area to recruit in just now

Morton fans all screaming the same thing we are in regards to a strikers after we beat them last week

So I get it I do it’s been hard but I think there’s a middle ground here too. It has clearly been extremely difficult and I’m sure they’re not just looking to unearth a gem or whatever but are simply thinking outside the box… but at the same time I don’t know why we did what we did in regards to the strikers that were here when we know fine well they barely had any goals between them for years now I think we should’ve explored other options

Theres simply no way that they are the best or even anywhere near close to the best PT options in that area

20 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Really really poor from our management. It’s not often they get it wrong.

100%.... live or die by our decisions.

I'd give it a couple of games 

Need a couple of results and at least 1 good striker 

Edited by DUAFC

DC was pretty quick in getting a good defence together who have been quality including DJ before gaston but we’ll need a long term solution for right back come January/next summer.
We’ve also had countless quality midfielders at the club in their time so no real complaints although this season we could have done with another winger and im not convinced with jacobs but looks like we’ll need to stick with him for that holding midfield role.
A permanent striker is the position DC & co have struggled with. Wallace, doris etc were fine in league 1/2 days and we’ve been fortunate with loans in the championship up until now but it seems like our luck has run out.
You’d think there must be 1 or 2 strikers in league 1/2 that are worth a punt on but it seems we’re more determined to find an unknown from down south, really hope we get at least 1 quality striker in or it could be a real struggle to stay up this season.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

By all accounts McAllister is a p***k and would disrupt the dressing room.

3 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

By all accounts McAllister is a p***k and would disrupt the dressing room.

Maybe I don’t know. What have you heard?

I have a good mate who has met him a few times and been drinking with him and he thought he was a great lad. Also used to work for James Lammond in Brechin and I occasionally came across him and he always seemed sound. Not heard anything bad? Seems like he’s been successful majority of his career too so not sure why all these dressing rooms would be upset? I dunno though

Cove also might not have wanted to sell to us too I suppose, similar with us and Nicky

We’ve a strong attacking midfield now and Mikey looking reinvigorated. He will get back amongst the goals. Hilson looking good too.
The demands for an experienced striker always concern me. The list of established players who’ve come to us in past seasons and disappointed is long. I’d rather take my chances with the group we’ve got.

I'm not really keen on taking our chances on a group that has currently managed 2 goals from open play in 7 games tbh. Saying that, dick has been here for long enough for all of us to know that there's a good chance whatever he says in the papers is utter shite.

1 hour ago, timlichtie said:

We’ve a strong attacking midfield now and Mikey looking reinvigorated. He will get back amongst the goals. Hilson looking good too.
The demands for an experienced striker always concern me. The list of established players who’ve come to us in past seasons and disappointed is long. I’d rather take my chances with the group we’ve got.

Is it? Who’s on that list? 

Also what is your definition and who meets the criteria of established for you? 

Looking for a good win today. Gives O'Brien and Allen a chance to get a competitive game in before getting back to league business next week.

Wondering if we might line up in a 4-3-1-2 formation with McKenna playing behind a front two from Hilson/Shanks /Isiaka. Maybe give Patterson some game time?

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

So the search for a striker has ended.

Game against East Fife gives us a perfect time to give some players game time. Especially the only 2 strikers we have in the squad.

Expect to see Isiaka, Shanks, Corfe and Patterson start.

3 on the bench. 1 not even in the squad.

Mmmmmm

So the search for a striker has ended.

Game against East Fife gives us a perfect time to give some players game time. Especially the only 2 strikers we have in the squad.

Expect to see Isiaka, Shanks, Corfe and Patterson start.

3 on the bench. 1 not even in the squad.

Mmmmmm

Agree. what a strange selection. Stewart at centre back?