The Arbroath Thread

After that excellent performance against Morton, Dick will have a selection problem next week. Both young full backs were terrific. It would be harsh to drop either of them.

When everyone is fit and available it should be Ricky/TOB/Hammy at the back with Oakley and Hancock wing backs. Tait, Allan and Jacobs in midfield and “amazing new striker” and McKenna up front. (Sorry Hilson).

When everyone is fit and available it should be Ricky/TOB/Hammy at the back with Oakley and Hancock wing backs. Tait, Allan and Jacobs in midfield and “amazing new striker” and McKenna up front. (Sorry Hilson).
I think we actually have a squad to play a back 3 now and would like to see us try it but can't see us abandoning a tried and tested defence and formation. Hopefully that doesn't mean Hancock on the left wing though.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Brilliant today 

Whos going to criticise that? 

Why would you want to ...

Unless I can suggest that another striker might be helpful, sorry to rain on your parade 

Edited by DUAFC

19 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Why would you want to ...

Unless I can suggest that another striker might be helpful, sorry to rain on your parade 

Genuinely think Hilson played as well as anyone we could’ve or could sign would’ve played today it was like he done all the good parts of his game well and actually added that final product / pass / finish. Shows you what a difference that can make to someone’s game. He was not only a nuisance but used the ball very well and really unlucky not to have 2 goals that one that was blocked on line was a great athletic effort from him and he was unlucky 

Also think it helped that we looked so full of energy today. Fullbacks to uptop, whole team looked fit and sharp and re energised. Breath of fresh air seeing Hancock and especially Oakley bombing up and down the wings. 

1 hour ago, danlichtie said:

Loving the whole "well I'm delighted I'm wrong", I am glad my fellow Lichties are as magnanimous as myself.

Smokies and fucking Wine. 

I don't think the criticism of Hilson is personal.  I'm sure we all agree that he gives 100% whenever he's on the pitch, he can buzz about and annoy, and he very much puts in the hard yards.  We all appreciate that in a player! He just almost never scores, and I absolutely would not have started him today.

Its almost like the guy who has been a manager for decades knows a lot more than me about managing a football team.  Absolutely delighted to be wrong, and I'm really happy Hilson got a goal!

Mindless optimism time, but this is the best midfield we've had at the club, and maybe with all the chances they create, the confidence that he's getting a run of games and is the no. 1 striker, and finally getting amongst the goals, maybe we'll see a new and lethal Dale Hilson?

32 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

We are so funny. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and one goal for Hilson does not make him Lewandowski.
We need another striker who can reliably score 12+ goals this season.

Don’t think anyone will be saying Hilson is Lewandowski and it’s one win but agree with 1320, our energy looked so much better. Nothing against Thomson and Hamilton when they play full back but the youthful exuberance of Oakley and Hancock adds a different dimension to the team. 
just to add , I thought Hamilton had the cigars out at centre back, didn’t put a foot wrong. Forget he had nearly a full season for us playing there a few years ago.

Also though Morton were Pish so not getting carried away in the slightest 

25 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Don’t think anyone will be saying Hilson is Lewandowski and it’s one win but agree with 1320, our energy looked so much better. Nothing against Thomson and Hamilton when they play full back but the youthful exuberance of Oakley and Hancock adds a different dimension to the team. 
just to add , I thought Hamilton had the cigars out at centre back, didn’t put a foot wrong. Forget he had nearly a full season for us playing there a few years ago.

Also though Morton were Pish so not getting carried away in the slightest 

Aye exactly and also on Hilson I think he’s looked good every time he’s been up with someone like McKenna or Jack Hamilton. Out wide not for me at all or on his own uptop nope. But he was excellent yesterday and deserves the praise he’s getting after that showing it was the complete all round striker performance something we’ve never ever seen from him. Telling you too that second would’ve been a cracker if it wasn’t blocked on the line he made that look so easy, which is so unlike him 

Morton were terrible yes but that yesterday was promising. I thought up until Allan sending off at Partick we were promising too and played it about a bit.

Excited to see more of Oakley. With ToB and Allan back I’m actually confident we go to Cove and win, maybe misplaced confidence but it does feel like we’re getting there in terms of sharpness and energy etc that you need to compete at this level. After yesterday it might be misplaced confidence but that’s what being a fans all about

Great result and by all accounts some good performances. Much needed after a slow start.

I can see the argument for a back 3 of Hammy, TOB and Little but need to remember that it's not a case of simply putting them together and it will need regular games together.

The rate of injuries/suspensions we're getting there right now, we might be better off with a pair at the back.

1 hour ago, timlichtie said:

Am I correct in saying that Jack Hamilton was sitting at the back of the Lichties supporters yesterday?

Don't.....was he really ?

As welcome as it was to get yesterday's win, it just papers over the cracks that we still need a good goal scorer.

(He wasn't in the Hartlepool squad yesterday)

Edited by DUAFC

19 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Jack was in the Arbroath end aye. He'll be back up the road in January, we should be putting everything into getting him back.

What's the rules,if Jack wanted to cancel his loan at Hartlepool with no game time and go out on loan elsewhere before October 1st 

46 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Jack was in the Arbroath end aye. He'll be back up the road in January, we should be putting everything into getting 

It was a season long loan unfortunately. 

No reason it can't be shortened or terminated if it's not working out for both parties however.