The Arbroath Thread

Are we ever going to sign a striker?

Would hate to think we are going to announce someone on the last day of the window. Only to realise its a 17 year old, 5'8" winger from a Premiership side that has all the physical strength of a feather and the only thing he is good at is running fast.

We’ll be waiting for Dundee United to sign a new manager so he can decide about Chalmers… maybe

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Are we ever going to sign a striker?

You would have to assume that few of the deals to bring in a striker fell through at the last moment - there could have been a domino effect, with a club elsewhere having their deal fall through and then they pull out of allowing their player to go on loan ( happens a lot).

There is still 2 weeks of the loan window open and I think it will require patience during this period - clubs will have a list of their players available for going out on loan with others potentially becoming available.

Talent is worth waiting for - but appreciate it's frustrating.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’ve been a massive fan of Scott Allan for ages, I remember tuning in to watch him play for Portsmouth away to Sheffield United ffs!!! I’ve had 10 years of watching Scott Allan play football live and through highlights and also I am entitled to think whatever I want you don’t get to determine my opinions 😂

He also played 23 times for Hibs last season, hardly kicked a ball is a bit of an exaggeration 

In the here and now he is one of the best players I’ve seen at Gayfield, the original post about it was saying how we should be really excited as we’ve got some fantastic players at the club, some which are up there with the best I’ve seen here. In the 20 year I’ve been going Scott Allan on paper is 100 percent up there with the best 

He might not do very well who knows but in the here and now the above is true? Never ever thought I’d see the day where we would sign someone like that, also never thought I’d see such a good group of players 

The point was that it is frustrating because we still have a glaring problem to solve and if we don’t the above is all pretty meaningless and we will never see it’s potential

Scott Allan Loyal 👍👍👍

24 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Hard to tell as we hear next to nothing about injuries or when players will be back. I suppose it keeps the opposition in suspense slightly but I am going on the no news is good news re Gold and McKenna.

Hope so

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Scott Allan Loyal 👍👍👍

Whit are you on about lad

Ok so looks like we try to scrape something tomorrow - goal less draw or a narrow defeat the most likely outcome. Meaningless cup game next week then signings in for the Cove game the following week.

Just hope there are a few draws tomorrow to keep us in touch.

32 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Ok so looks like we try to scrape something tomorrow - goal less draw or a narrow defeat the most likely outcome. Meaningless cup game next week then signings in for the Cove game the following week.

Just hope there are a few draws tomorrow to keep us in touch.

Might have a striker in for tomorrow 

If what I’ve heard is right it will only back up my theory that Joel Nouble has literally broken Dick Campbells brain and he’s spent 4 months unsuccessfully trying to find his own 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Might have a striker in for tomorrow 

If what I’ve heard is right it will only back up my theory that Joel Nouble has literally broken Dick Campbells brain and he’s spent 4 months unsuccessfully trying to find his own 

Oh great. Nouble was pretty much a one off, a left-field signing that worked out brilliantly for us and Livi. He’s very much an outlier though.

18 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Oh great. Nouble was pretty much a one off, a left-field signing that worked out brilliantly for us and Livi. He’s very much an outlier though.

My thoughts exactly.

No idea what this dude we’re supposedly getting will be like if it’s true. Played at some good clubs and at a decent level prior to the last 2/3 seasons but I really do wish we’d just signed the boy Robertson from FC Edinburgh, Rory Mac and a young lad on loan from a Prem club or something…

I have the fear

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

My thoughts exactly.

No idea what this dude we’re supposedly getting will be like if it’s true. Played at some good clubs and at a decent level prior to the last 2/3 seasons but I really do wish we’d just signed the boy Robertson from FC Edinburgh, Rory Mac and a young lad on loan from a Prem club or something…

I have the fear

Yep such a high risk strategy. My worry is that all of these signings fail and our budget has been blown on expensive flops. All we needed to do this season was consolidate. It was very very unlikely we were going to have another season like last so a few solid, dependable signings to see us safely mid-table would have been more than acceptable. I don’t know another fan who wouldn’t be delighted with that.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair that can’t stop doing this stuff because DC no getting it right on the park, this stuff still important 

Of course it is but the timing’s wrong, to announce it on a Friday evening when we’re screaming out for signings is a bit erse aboot t1t imo. We need to get it right on the pitch first and foremost, that’s more important than anything atm.

Edited by Tattie36

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’ve been a massive fan of Scott Allan for ages, I remember tuning in to watch him play for Portsmouth away to Sheffield United ffs!!! I’ve had 10 years of watching Scott Allan play football live and through highlights and also I am entitled to think whatever I want you don’t get to determine my opinions 😂

He also played 23 times for Hibs last season, hardly kicked a ball is a bit of an exaggeration 

In the here and now he is one of the best players I’ve seen at Gayfield, the original post about it was saying how we should be really excited as we’ve got some fantastic players at the club, some which are up there with the best I’ve seen here. In the 20 year I’ve been going Scott Allan on paper is 100 percent up there with the best 

He might not do very well who knows but in the here and now the above is true? Never ever thought I’d see the day where we would sign someone like that, also never thought I’d see such a good group of players 

The point was that it is frustrating because we still have a glaring problem to solve and if we don’t the above is all pretty meaningless and we will never see it’s potential

Fair play for sticking up for Scott Allan, our own fans are too quick to judge, the guys had no pre-season and played a handful of games and is already being written off by some. 

On all round ability he is a great signing.

My fear is, our way of playing if its how we usually play isnt going to get the best out of a player like that. But heres hoping something changes.

Lets hope Hilson gets a wee run in the team, over one of Noubles old mates/neighbours/ cousins or family friends.

2 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Fair play for sticking up for Scott Allan, our own fans are too quick to judge, the guys had no pre-season and played a handful of games and is already being written off by some. 

My fear is, our way of playing if its how we usually play isnt going to get the best out of a player like that. But heres hoping something changes.

Lets hope Hilson gets a wee run in the team, over one of Noubles old mates/neighbours/ cousins or family friends.

And before any of the Nouble fan club start, 15 clubs at the age of 26, 24 games and 4 goals doesnt mean he can invite all his buddies around to take over the club. he was a strong workhorse of a player but thats it. 

4 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Aye spot on but I’m unconvinced on Hilson I think he definitely has and does something, first half against Partick I thought he was really good and looked sharp.

Just that ball breaking to him in the box second half and him not swinging a leg at it is the frustrating thing about him. Wish he was greedier and went for goal more often 

I mind the first game he played for us down in Alloa he was always looking to get a shot away. Even had an audacious half volley from about 40 yards. Playing out wide and in more defensive positions definitely taken a toll on him as a striker