The Arbroath Thread

I’ve no issue with giving Hilson game-time but it has to be in very specific circumstances.

Firstly we need to knock on the head this idea that he’s a striker, my 76 year old mother-in-law is more of a goal threat than he is, even with her dodgy knees.

Imo his strength is coming on when we’re protecting a lead to buzz about, close down opponents and make a general nuisance of himself - see the 1-0 home win over Killie last season where he did a brilliant job of breaking up play.

Chasing a game, one on one with the keeper or a ball laid on a plate 6 yards out - no chance.

Edited by Tattie36

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

When I see calls for Hilson, who has barely scored in 3 years, to be given a game upfront ahead of any unspecified "Nouble's mates", I can't help but wonder if there is something else at play.

Like what ?

You suggesting we havent had any of Noubles mates in on trial or signed up?

Would you rather see calls for Mckenna who isnt a striker to play up top?

Hilson has barely played, and lets be honest, it isnt like any striker bangs them in for fun the way we play. Your fav player ever Nouble got 4 in 24 games, he has 687 minutes of action last season. You make it out like hes playing 40 games a season and not scoring.

Stats pulled from here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dale-hilson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/130819

Whilst they might not be 100% accurate, its clear hilson hasnt been given much of a run, and that said he might not even be best served as a striker.

Onto Noubles mates

Kareem Isiaka London boy, played non league down there and is 100% Noubles mate

Ikechi Eze, was on trial pre season, now with Stranraer, London boy, played no league down there and is 100% Noubles mate

St Johnstone pre season game, at Gayfield, half the team were London boys all Noubles mates, cousins and everything all on trial 

There is your problem right there, nothing more nothing less, DC is on the phone to Nouble asking what mates he has, to see if we can pull another raw dimond from down London way thats played non league, potentially also went to the Icelandic second division.

9 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Is there anything to substantiate that some of our signings / trialists are friends of nouble or has someone just made this up? 
Nouble left us in January 

They definitely are and DC has said he was using him for help in articles in the pre season 

ETA - not sure if ALL them have been but there’s definitely a few of them 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They definitely are and DC has said he was using him for help in articles in the pre season 

ETA - not sure if ALL them have been but there’s definitely a few of them 

Where did he say that? What a bizarre way to recruit players if true. 

38 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Where did he say that? What a bizarre way to recruit players if true. 

I posted one of the articles in here already I’ll try find it again 

Also managed to find the names of a few of the trialists after a brief look over Nouble socials

He recently tweeted about the guy Eze signing for Stranraer I think they must be good pals 

4F71427E-6F9B-488A-B2F3-A1E2C55047AD.png

Regarding Scott Allen, think we need to give him little more time to settle at the club. From what little I've seen of him he tries to play the ball at ground level to players feet instead of those long, high hopeful, balls that we see too often and which usually end up with giving away possession. Tait seems to do the same. Hopefully both with have more influence on the pitch once they get more games and get to know the other players better.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

18 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

After that excellent performance against Morton, Dick will have a selection problem next week. Both young full backs were terrific. It would be harsh to drop either of them.

Yes, agree with that, Think Oakley edged Hancock, not much in it, Hilson was solid, Goldy good game rest filtered in, no failures.

We played football today and had a lot of energy. Hilson and Oakley excellent. Oakley made everything look so easy. Much improved from Jacobs he had a solid game too and Tait is a player. Scotty Stewart under the radar too, playing centre half and not looking out of place. That man is a hero

23 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I’ve no issue with giving Hilson game-time but it has to be in very specific circumstances.

Firstly we need to knock on the head this idea that he’s a striker, my 76 year old mother-in-law is more of a goal threat than he is, even with her dodgy knees.

Imo his strength is coming on when we’re protecting a lead to buzz about, close down opponents and make a general nuisance of himself - see the 1-0 home win over Killie last season where he did a brilliant job of breaking up play.

Chasing a game, one on one with the keeper or a ball laid on a plate 6 yards out - no chance.

23 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aha.  Hilson has shown nothing in 3 years.  

Oh my.

14 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, I'm also delighted, god knows the man needs goals, and hopefully he can push on!  I don't think anyone would be any less than happy to see Hilson score.

But that doesn't make any of the things you quoted incorrect.

Apart from some of the criticism being way over the top.