The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What’s that matter?

If we’d signed Messi and he’d only played once would I not be able to say that? 

Just a very bizzare comment in my opinion.If he had played a good amount of games for you and was absolutely brilliant then yeah you could come away with a comment like that.But your not telling me the amount of years you have supported AFC he is one of the best? Could turn out to be but he ain't done anything yet to merit that comment.

Edited by mo83

4 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

If I recall correctly, did Sir Bobby Linn not play up front as a centre forward for a couple of matches several years ago due to the squad being depleted? Don’t think it proved to be much of a success - but I would be tempted to give Linn a free role up front on Saturday- very few options, so perhaps worth a throw of the dice ?

Apologies if I am talking nonsense- just looking at all options until the suspended and injured players return and we sign a couple of strikers.

Bobby played upfront against us, in his last season for East Fife, didn't suit him at all

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would consider going a bit more defensive saturday and leave Mckenna up top to work their backline. With support from Stewart, Tait and Linn.

Gaston

Oakley Little Hamilton Hancock

Stewart Gold Jacobs Tait Linn

McKenna

I had the exact team mate but with Shanks uptop instead with Mckenna but I actually love the idea of an energetic 5 man midfield with Mckenna doing what he does best uptop. Looks good 🤩🇱🇻⚽️ If the game is still tight last 20-25 throw on your energy players like Shanks Patterson and Hilson just to run at them, Don’t know anything about Kareem but if he has pace and good at pressing then Chuck him on too 

Another week (two really) without any more attack minded signings. Are we really going to have to wait a few more weeks before anything happens? I really fear we’ll be cut too far adrift by then and, even if we do get someone decent in, will the losing habit be too ingrained?

I’m deliberately hoping this post makes me look like a right tit in hindsight after a couple of signings are announced later today or tomorrow.

23 hours ago, mo83 said:

Just a very bizzare comment in my opinion.If he had played a good amount of games for you and was absolutely brilliant then yeah you could come away with a comment like that.But your not telling me the amount of years you have supported AFC he is one of the best? Could turn out to be but he ain't done anything yet to merit that comment.

He is yeah. Whether that transpires on the park is yet to be seen but on paper he is absolutely up there with the best players I’ve seen at the club

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What’s so hard to get, I understand what you’re saying but you’re clearly not understanding what I am saying? What’s so difficult?

How many times have you actually seen Scott Allan play?

Your comment is just bizzare you mention TOB who you have seen play for many a year and your entitled to think he has been a great player for AFC.But with Scott Allan am not sure how you can say say the same?The guy has hardly kicked a ball since he was at Hibs?You a regular at Easter road back then?

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Your comment is just bizzare you mention TOB who you have seen play for many a year and your entitled to think he has been a great player for AFC.But with Scott Allan am not sure how you can say say the same?The guy has hardly kicked a ball since he was at Hibs?You a regular at Easter road back then?

I understand what he’s meaning but also get what you're saying… if that makes sense?

What 1320 is obviously meaning is that Scott Allan is one of the best players he’s seen “sign” for Arbroath. He doesn’t mean his performances so far, he just means that his pedigree, what clubs he’s played for, his stature in the game, how he’s rated etc puts him way above and beyond the vast vast majority of ex or current players. I agree with that, can’t think of many players that have played for us in my 44 years as a fan, or before, who were at his level before or after playing for us. Andy Penman, Jimmy Bone, Andy Webster, Craig Forsyth… maybe Nouble eventually.

You, on the other hand, are talking about what he’s done for us so far which isn’t much to be honest. He could well turn out to be another Kris Doolan (decent pedigree at PT but past it) and be a flop for us but he undoubtedly has the talent and ability to make a huge difference.

Edited by Tattie36

So far from what Iv seen from Allan

Queens Park (H) - brief cameo where he showed flashes of quality 

Hamilton (A) - Don’t remember him doing much but overall that was a horrendous team performance and a day in general I’d like to forget.

Partick (A) - Game passed him by for the most part. He had a really good chance to draw us level late on but keeper made a magnificent save. 

Partick (H) - Ridiculous red card after a pretty average 1st have performance. Dylan Tait was much better than him that afternoon 

Are we ever going to sign a striker?

Would hate to think we are going to announce someone on the last day of the window. Only to realise its a 17 year old, 5'8" winger from a Premiership side that has all the physical strength of a feather and the only thing he is good at is running fast.

30 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Are we ever going to sign a striker?

Would hate to think we are going to announce someone on the last day of the window. Only to realise its a 17 year old, 5'8" winger from a Premiership side that has all the physical strength of a feather and the only thing he is good at is running fast.

Lari Yao?

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

I’ve been a massive fan of Scott Allan for ages, I remember tuning in to watch him play for Portsmouth away to Sheffield United ffs!!! I’ve had 10 years of watching Scott Allan play football live and through highlights and also I am entitled to think whatever I want you don’t get to determine my opinions 😂

He also played 23 times for Hibs last season, hardly kicked a ball is a bit of an exaggeration 

In the here and now he is one of the best players I’ve seen at Gayfield, the original post about it was saying how we should be really excited as we’ve got some fantastic players at the club, some which are up there with the best I’ve seen here. In the 20 year I’ve been going Scott Allan on paper is 100 percent up there with the best 

He might not do very well who knows but in the here and now the above is true? Never ever thought I’d see the day where we would sign someone like that, also never thought I’d see such a good group of players 

The point was that it is frustrating because we still have a glaring problem to solve and if we don’t the above is all pretty meaningless and we will never see it’s potential