The Arbroath Thread

The irony in this is that, IMO, we could be absolutely fine without Low.
Imrie has been proven right on most things since he’s come in, so if he is interested in Low, then I trust that and will happily shut up.
But I, and I think almost all other Morton fans, would say what we desperately need is at least one bonafide centre forward in that squad, if not another for good measure.
That surely has to be the priority over adding to what is already a decent midfield with Gillespie and Crawford in particular. And especially if we have limited budget to take on new salaries.

The irony is that with Allan and Tait signed we don’t really need Low either.

2 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Any winners....?

Both might end up ok… Low might get what he wants and Arbroath have already replaced him.

My point is that Campbell should have let him go before the deadline: part-time player with full-time offer closer to home should be an easy one.

Instead, he tried to play hard-ball… and Low has responded in the only way a good Greenock boy could.

14 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

My point is that Campbell should have let him go before the deadline: part-time player with full-time offer closer to home should be an easy one.

Instead, he tried to play hard-ball… and Low has responded in the only way a good Greenock boy could.

Part time player (on a contractually binding agreement) offered something full time closer to home. 

You're spot on that should be an easy one right enough. 

Very disappointed in Nicky Low after everything the club has done for him and all the incredible support the fans have giving him, Gave him a chance to redeem himself again at a higher level  after an injury plagued career and this is how he repays the fans, Totally get he wants to play closer to home and eventually see out his career at his boyhood club Morton, I completely understand, Respect and get that but your under contract for another year, He obviously tried to push for a move during the transfer window and Morton failed to meet the asking price so it’s like he is now throwing his toys out the pram which is disgusting, The club are there to look after him and support him so he should man up, roll up his sleeves and be a professional and honour this final year then do whatever he wants after that, very sad way to bow out of the club if you ask me, Tbh he has no excuses as Ricky Little does it from Ayr every week and has done for over 8 years now and he has a young family too ⚽🇱🇻

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

Part time player (on a contractually binding agreement) offered something full time closer to home. 

You're spot on that should be an easy one right enough. 

So you would hold someone to their contractually binding agreement for part-time employment and prevent them from taking up full-time employment?

Not nice.

8 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Very disappointed in Nicky Low after everything the club has done for him and all the incredible support the fans have giving him, Gave him a chance to redeem himself again at a higher level  after an injury plagued career and this is how he repays the fans, Totally get he wants to play closer to home and eventually see out his career at his boyhood club Morton, I completely understand, Respect and get that but your under contract for another year, He obviously tried to push for a move during the transfer window and Morton failed to meet the asking price so it’s like he is now throwing his toys out the pram which is disgusting, The club are there to look after him and support him so he should man up, roll up his sleeves and be a professional and honour this final year then do whatever he wants after that, very sad way to bow out of the club if you ask me, Tbh he has no excuses as Ricky Little does it from Ayr every week and has done for over 8 years now and he has a young family too ⚽🇱🇻

Really disappointing the Low situation. It just makes it more impressive what the likes of Little have done over the years. The commitment is something that can’t be overlooked 

Arbroath fans not taking this well at all. You can’t expect the guy to carry on travelling when it’s having an affect on his personal life. Should’ve just freed him from his contract in the summer like the vast majority of clubs would do. He’s 30 years old so I’m not sure why the club thought they’d get a fee for him.

8 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Very disappointed in Nicky Low after everything the club has done for him and all the incredible support the fans have giving him, Gave him a chance to redeem himself again at a higher level  after an injury plagued career and this is how he repays the fans, Totally get he wants to play closer to home and eventually see out his career at his boyhood club Morton, I completely understand, Respect and get that but your under contract for another year, He obviously tried to push for a move during the transfer window and Morton failed to meet the asking price so it’s like he is now throwing his toys out the pram which is disgusting, ⚽🇱🇻

...Because the real world market valuation of an injury-prone, middle of the pack Scottish Championship midfielder who will be 31 in January is precisely £0. 

It's mind-boggling that either Arbroath's board or that braying fud Campbell seriously thought they could replace him with Scott Allan and make a quick buck in the process. Now they've fucked up their relationship with a former key player and results have taken a slide during this utterly pointless and protracted saga.

FWIW I'd be more than happy for Morton to turn our attention elsewhere, as we need a centre forward much more than any other position. And it sounds like we are doing that right now. 

10 hours ago, footyguy said:

Can assure you all this is rubbish , he is happy at Arbroath .

Good. The gossip and Chinese whispers after a few things start going wrong is incredible. Football fans are like a bunch of grannies dooon the bowling club 

9 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It would appear the ‘fairytale’ is turning into a bit of a nightmare for Arbroath.

Sad to see. 

Come on now. Everyone knew a hard spell was coming after the highs of last season, that’s football!!!! And being in the Championship with 1400 season ticket holders and a squad that includes guys like Scott Allan, Micheal McKenna and ToB etc most definitely is not a nightmare!!!!!!! 

Ive seen nightmares at Arbroath and this ain’t one

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

...Because the real world market valuation of an injury-prone, middle of the pack Scottish Championship midfielder who will be 31 in January is precisely £0. 

It's mind-boggling that either Arbroath's board or that braying fud Campbell seriously thought they could replace him with Scott Allan and make a quick buck in the process. Now they've fucked up their relationship with a former key player and results have taken a slide during this utterly pointless and protracted saga.

FWIW I'd be more than happy for Morton to turn our attention elsewhere, as we need a centre forward much more than any other position. And it sounds like we are doing that right now. 

Honestly mate I hope he ends up playing for you guys and ends his career with you playing for his team and maybe just an agreement in place where he can’t play against us. I just think the way he has gone about things is not good at all, Very unprofessional and makes him look really bad, What about the folk that have splashed out on sponsoring him for the season and all these young Lichties going about with Low on the back of there new tops. No matter what he is going through the club would have looked after and supported him, The least he can do is roll up his sleeves and finish his last year on a high then go from there in the Summer.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Arbroath fans not taking this well at all. You can’t expect the guy to carry on travelling when it’s having an affect on his personal life. Should’ve just freed him from his contract in the summer like the vast majority of clubs would do. He’s 30 years old so I’m not sure why the club thought they’d get a fee for him.

I really don’t think most other clubs would just release one of their best, contracted players in these circumstances. He willingly signed a two year deal which has the guts of a year to run, therefore a suitable fee would have to be paid. I have no issue with him wanting to leave for whatever reason but the whole point of contracts is to avoid this and to be beneficial to and protect both the club and player.

If this is allowed to happen then what’s stopping any player (or club) just making up reasons for wanting a free move? Contracts are legally binding documents after all.

If it’s discovered that Morton offered a decent, suitable fee which was turned down then he may get a bit more sympathy.