The Arbroath Thread

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

...Because the real world market valuation of an injury-prone, middle of the pack Scottish Championship midfielder who will be 31 in January is precisely £0. 

It's mind-boggling that either Arbroath's board or that braying fud Campbell seriously thought they could replace him with Scott Allan and make a quick buck in the process. Now they've fucked up their relationship with a former key player and results have taken a slide during this utterly pointless and protracted saga.

FWIW I'd be more than happy for Morton to turn our attention elsewhere, as we need a centre forward much more than any other position. And it sounds like we are doing that right now. 

They have “f****d up a relationship with a former key player”. I think that’s already f****d the moment he decides not to show up to training or matches when he’s under contract. Where’s the protection for clubs or players for that matter if you can just walk away from a contract ? 

Honestly mate I hope he ends up playing for you guys and ends his career with you playing for his team and maybe just an agreement in place where he can’t play against us. I just think the way he has gone about things is not good at all, Very unprofessional and makes him look really bad, What about the folk that have splashed out on sponsoring him for the season and all these young Lichties going about with Low on the back of there new tops. No matter what he is going through the club would have looked after and supported him, The least he can do is roll up his sleeves and finish his last year on a high then go from there in the Summer.

Birthday caird pish. He’s playing PT football in the Scottish Championship. None of what you’ve just said should matter one jot to Nicky Low.

1 minute ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Honestly mate I hope he ends up playing for you guys and ends his career with you playing for his team and maybe just an agreement in place where he can’t play against us. I just think the way he has gone about things is not good at all, Very unprofessional and makes him look really bad, What about the folk that have splashed out on sponsoring him for the season and all these young Lichties going about with Low on the back of there new tops. No matter what he is going through the club would have looked after and supported him, The least he can do is roll up his sleeves and finish his last year on a high then go from there in the Summer.

Yep, both Low and Arbroath don't come out of this looking good at all IMO. Poor choices (nobody forced to sign a contract) and self-defeating stubbornness on display on both sides. 

Low has had umpteen opportunities to impress Morton or approach us for a deal before, unless he thought that the previous ownership were bad news I'm not convinced by this boyhood dream angle. 

5 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

They have “f****d up a relationship with a former key player”. I think that’s already f****d the moment he decides not to show up to training or matches when he’s under contract. Where’s the protection for clubs or players for that matter if you can just walk away from a contract ? 

Protection for your club? You already signed about 17 central midfielders before the transfer window closed. It's got nothing to do with that and everything about doing what's ultimately best for your squad harmony.

If someone in these circumstances was agitating for a move from Morton then I'd want them out the door. I certainly wouldn't want us to have an excess of players and an unbalanced squad after the transfer window closed, in order to prove some daft point about the value of contracts. In the current or indeed any recent market, the value of the contract for this player is £0. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

Protection for your club? You already signed about 17 central midfielders before the transfer window closed. It's got nothing to do with that and everything about doing what's ultimately best for your squad harmony.

If someone in these circumstances was agitating for a move from Morton then I'd want them out the door. I certainly wouldn't want us to have an excess of players and an unbalanced squad after the transfer window closed, in order to prove some daft point about the value of contracts. In the current or indeed any recent market, the value of the contract for this player is £0. 

Maybe they have been trying to get him out the door but have not had a suitable offer yet? In relation to who the club are and then how much of his wages they’re wanting to cover. Not letting him simply leave on a free is to stop him going to another Championship team. He’s a very good player

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe they have been trying to get him out the door but have not had a suitable offer yet? 

Because the 'asking price' that Arbroath want is completely detached from any credible valuation. By the end of August and with its own midfield targets secured, a sensible club adjusts to that reality, but here you are. 

Looks like wee Nicky’s called wee Dick’s bluff…

Wee Nicky has shot himself in the foot. He seems to have tried to force a move to Morton. Morton wanted him so little they wouldn’t pay a (decent?) fee. Meanwhile Arbroath signed Allan and Tait and didn’t really need him. If he’s lucky he’ll be playing League 1 football and doing just as much travelling. I have no sympathy.

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:

Meanwhile Arbroath signed Allan and Tait and didn’t really need him.

Why then have Arbroath insisted on holding on to him against his will, when they’ve been perfectly happy for other contracted players, like Craigen and Thomson, to walk away for nothing? 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Because the 'asking price' that Arbroath want is completely detached from any credible valuation. By the end of August and with its own midfield targets secured, a sensible club adjusts to that reality, but here you are. 

Well if nobody wanted to pay a fee for him then fine. Now we decide who he goes on loan too. I don’t see how this is a big deal? 

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why then have Arbroath insisted on holding on to him against his will, when they’ve been perfectly happy for other contracted players, like Craigen and Thomson, to walk away for nothing? 

Because they’ve went to L1 and also they are nowhere near as good as what Nicky Low is. 

Because they didn’t want him going to a Championship rival for free. He was one of the best central midfielders in the Championship last year. This is not rocket science. Don’t accuse the club of bad faith when the player is clearly in the wrong.

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:

Because they didn’t want him going to a Championship rival for free. He was one of the best central midfielders in the Championship last year. This is not rocket science. Don’t accuse the club of bad faith when the player is clearly in the wrong.

I don’t think that’s fair either, he’s not clearly in the wrong, just wants a move as it’s affecting his personal life. Fine

I don’t think anyones in the wrong 

Not sure what the problem is here and how there is any blame at us as a club, we took a punt on Nicky who was playing in the lowland league and had a torid time with injuries. It was almost seen as a loan during the covid season to boost our numbers. Nicky went onto play very well for us, I have never thought he was the superstar that some made him out to be but in the main he was a consistent player and did well. He has extended his contract and seemed to be loving his football. He then decides out of the blue that he wants to play closer to home due to a change in personal circumstance (tend to believe him but it may that he cant be arsed with the travelling and that a club (presumably Morton) have spoken to him and offered him a similar deal on his doorstep. 

It would also then seem that Morton don't want to pay any sort of fee, their prerogative. To our disappointment, Nicky has then it would seem completely down tools and basically just refused to train or play. As we are a decent club we have then tried to help the player by making him available for a loan to a club closer to his home (obviously not in the championship which would be madness)

Arbroath have been nothing but accommodating and decent to Nicky. Despite his unprofessionalism, I actually wish him all the best, he did well for us and was an infectious wee character.

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well if nobody wanted to pay a fee for him then fine. Now we decide who he goes on loan too. I don’t see how this is a big deal? 

Your start to the season and constant drama this week points to why it is a big deal. I fully understand your support for the club based on its recent track record, but it has cut off its nose to spite its face here IMO. A less emotional and more rational response after already building your first team midfield for this season would be to get a bad apple out of the door ASAP. 

This drawn-out mess is hardly an ideal outcome for your club, that's for sure. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your start to the season and constant drama this week points to why it is a big deal. I fully understand your support for the club based on its recent track record, but it has cut off its nose to spite its face here IMO. A less emotional and more rational response after already building your first team midfield for this season would be to get a bad apple out of the door ASAP. 

The thing is the start to the season is irrelevant here we would’ve had this problem regardless. Nicky been hinting at this since the end of last season but this is one thing I actually agree with Dick on. He’s got a whole lot wrong so far this season for me but I fully understand this situation and what he’s doing.

But aye it’s far from ideal and I’m looking forward to it being resolved so we can try and crack on and settle down a wee bit. The last months been chaotic 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

We are putting him out the door, he will be going on loan.

10 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Very disappointed in Nicky Low after everything the club has done for him and all the incredible support the fans have giving him, Gave him a chance to redeem himself again at a higher level  after an injury plagued career and this is how he repays the fans, Totally get he wants to play closer to home and eventually see out his career at his boyhood club Morton, I completely understand, Respect and get that but your under contract for another year, He obviously tried to push for a move during the transfer window and Morton failed to meet the asking price so it’s like he is now throwing his toys out the pram which is disgusting, The club are there to look after him and support him so he should man up, roll up his sleeves and be a professional and honour this final year then do whatever he wants after that, very sad way to bow out of the club if you ask me, Tbh he has no excuses as Ricky Little does it from Ayr every week and has done for over 8 years now and he has a young family too ⚽🇱🇻

Try respecting this he signed the contract with the understanding that if a full-time club came in for him he could leave for free......... PITY YOUR CLUB AND MANAGER DID NOT HONOUR IT. .....So Nicky has done nothing wrong.