The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Hamilton - Alloa, Little - Queens Park, TOB - Forfar, Low - East Stirlingshire, Gold - Berwick, Mckenna - Berwick, Hilson - Forfar, Stewart - Airdrie.

Most of the squad was signed from L1 and L2. Definitely difficult to get the top players but there are plenty that can make the step to the championship

... I don't really know how to respond to that.  Did Dick not sign most of those players?  He also signed Henderson last season too, and took Dowds on loan.  He also signed Shanks from the Highland League.

So do you really think he just isn't bothering his arse to look at L1 and L2?

Edited to add, your list there pretty much proves my point.  We are always looking for the best possible signings, and have recruited from L1, L2, and the LL and HL leagues in recent years.  So we clearly are willing to recruit from those leagues.  But our fans think the management just aren't making the effort? 

Edited by ExiledLichtie

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

... I don't really know how to respond to that.  Did Dick not sign most of those players?  He also signed Henderson last season too, and took Dowds on loan.  He also signed Shanks from the Highland League.

I think he’s looking yeah. But instead of playing it safe and making some boring safe squad filler type signings from these leagues he seems absolutely hell bent on uncovering some kind of gem from out with the country. In my opinion this is clearly off the back of us having Joel Nouble, he mentioned during pre season he was using him to try and unearth gems from down in England and was using his help.

The number of trialists we have had in and around the club so far this year and the signings of Bakare, Ford, Isiaka, Corfe, Fosu since we have lost Nouble seem to back that up. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think he’s looking yeah. But instead of playing it safe and making some boring safe squad filler type signings from these leagues he seems absolutely hell bent on uncovering some kind of gem from out with the country. In my opinion this is clearly off the back of us having Joel Nouble, he mentioned during pre season he was using him to try and unearth gems from down in England and was using his help.

The number of trialists we have had in and around the club so far this year and the signings of Bakare, Ford, Isiaka, Corfe, Fosu since we have lost Nouble seem to back that up. 

One thing worst remembering is Nouble was Livingstons signing. We were given him on loan so can’t claim to have unearthed a diamond from down south. Like you said also, he was playing conference and not some amateur league 

Just now, Monkfish85 said:

One thing worst remembering is Nouble was Livingstons signing. We were given him on loan so can’t claim to have unearthed a diamond from down south. Like you said also, he was playing conference and not some amateur league 

Yeah 100 percent, some of the guys we’ve had in have been absolutely stinking but they have got a trial purely because they were Noubles pals, not blaming Nouble either it’s not his fault but that’s not good. The amount of time arranging all these trialists coming up to play here and up to Scotland would’ve been significant too

It’s a really big output in terms of time and money and how much return are we going to get from Fosu, Corfe and Isiakah? I hope I’m wrong but I feel like it is going to be the exact same return we got from Bakare and Ford, taking up space and budget in a really small squad.

If we only had Fosu then I would be ok with it but we’ve got 3 players there all in and taking up attacking positions in the squad, an area we are really struggling in, and I have absolutely zero trust or faith in any of them being capable of doing anything 

Was so happy to clear the decks and get rid of Ford and Bakare last year and it just seems even worse now 

Edited to add, your list there pretty much proves my point.  We are always looking for the best possible signings, and have recruited from L1, L2, and the LL and HL leagues in recent years.  So we clearly are willing to recruit from those leagues.  But our fans think the management just aren't making the effort? 
Sorry, what I should have added was we don't need superstars just solid pros who have a bit of potential to step up. Like you say we have done loads of that in the past so I think that's where the frustration lies that the players were getting from trials etc are not as good as that.

Every single season, we have made signings that haven't worked out under Dick, I would imagine most clubs would be the same so people getting their knickers in a twist. I agree that Corfe looks short of what we need, Fosu has done ok in flashes and not seen the others yet to form an opinion.

Josh Skelly, Michael Dunlop, Gavin Malin, Josh Thomson, Eddie Ferns, Bryan Prunty, Greg Spence, Finn Graham, Carlo Pignattilo, Sam Ford, Bakare, Josh Campbell, Ben Stirling. 

There's 13 poor signings that made no impact at all so its nothing new. Could also list another 10-15 who have been brilliant signings. 

Time to get behind the team, we haven't been helped by injuries and suspensions to key players, get them back (hopefully get a forward in loan) and we will start picking up points and be a match for anyone.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Every single season, we have made signings that haven't worked out under Dick, I would imagine most clubs would be the same so people getting their knickers in a twist. I agree that Corfe looks short of what we need, Fosu has done ok in flashes and not seen the others yet to form an opinion.

Josh Skelly, Michael Dunlop, Gavin Malin, Josh Thomson, Eddie Ferns, Bryan Prunty, Greg Spence, Finn Graham, Carlo Pignattilo, Sam Ford, Bakare, Josh Campbell, Ben Stirling. 

There's 13 poor signings that made no impact at all so its nothing new. Could also list another 10-15 who have been brilliant signings. 

Time to get behind the team, we haven't been helped by injuries and suspensions to key players, get them back (hopefully get a forward in loan) and we will start picking up points and be a match for anyone.

Skelly was very good in some games, I’d go as far as saying he was one of our better players for a period

Malin wasn’t poor either he was just fine, he came in and done a job for where we were, looked every bit a L2 player 

Thomson only played 196 minutes in the League Cup and Graham made 7 appearances, one of Brechin better players in L1 before he signed 

Pigniatello, Campbell and Stirling were all perfectly fine for us too and as I said earlier on the league is full of guys like them. Probably 3 of our poorer loans but they were all decent

Prunty and Spence were meh but like Doolan they had good records and were definitely worth a gamble

Ferns and Dunlop both shite but we were in L2 then and they hardly featured

Our budget will have been the biggest it’s maybe ever been this season.

Allan and Tait excellent signings. Hancock looks like a decent left back. Shanks has shown promise, it’s not all bad and regardless of what I’ve posted before I am 100 percent behind the team and everything the club and board have done and keep doing is amazing. Every time I’m at Gayfield I see something new and the effort that’s being put in.

But DC for me has taken too much of a gamble and spent way too much of his time on the things already spoken about  

I really wish we had gone all out to sign Rory McAllister when he was available - maybe we did?

I know he’s in the twilight of his career but his experience and natural eye for goal would have (potentially) been a decent partnership with Shanks.

Edited by Tattie36

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I really wish we had gone all out to sign Rory McAllister when he was available - maybe we did?

I know he’s in the twilight of his career but his experience and natural eye for goal would have (potentially) been a decent partnership with Shanks.

Pleasure to watch is Rory still a top player will bang in 15-20 goals for us this season no problem.

13 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I am really fed up with people criticising Isiaka without having seen him play one second of football. Give the guy a break.

It’s not him they’re criticising it is Dick Campbell

4 months we’ve had to sign a striker, and here we are 6/7 games into the season and we have Dale Hilson, young Shanks and a guy who has not played a competitive game for a year now and was last playing in the second division in Iceland

We can hardly get a shot on goal never mind an actual goal  

It’s unacceptable 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

On 04/09/2022 at 23:02, DUAFC said:

I'm hoping that if nicky low can't travel to training and is unavailable to play, is subsequently getting SFA of the money I contribute to the club ??

Perhaps some transparency would be good. 

Nicky is away to turkey for a new head of hair, with your measly contribution to the club you joke of a boy. 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s not him they’re criticising it is Dick Campbell

4 months we’ve had to sign a striker, and here we are 6/7 games into the season and we have Dale Hilson, young Shanks and a guy who has not played a competitive game for a year now and was last playing in the second division in Iceland

We can hardly get a shot on goal never mind an actual goal  

It’s unacceptable 

Is that you Pep?

Gee yoursel peace, out teams shite full stop, from management, to tactics, to players we are pish

We aint going to get a shot on goal, you could play Steven Fletcher upfront or get a loan deal for Kevin Van Veen and still not score any goals the way we play. 

Hoofing it up top, bypassing the midfield doesnt work

11 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Is that you Pep?

Gee yoursel peace, out teams shite full stop, from management, to tactics, to players we are pish

We aint going to get a shot on goal, you could play Steven Fletcher upfront or get a loan deal for Kevin Van Veen and still not score any goals the way we play. 

Hoofing it up top, bypassing the midfield doesnt work

Dick is out of his depth in this league.. 

A 5th placed finish, a 7th placed finish and a 2nd placed finish 

Another utter slaver from you. I dunno if you’re purely on the wind up or just at it, but you always come away with some absolutely stinking takes 

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously saying what you’ve just said?