The Arbroath Thread

8 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I am sorry but i hate slagging off our players but Corfe is not the answer, to me he he is a flair player with fancy footwork to bring on if you are 3-0 up so for DC to bring him on for Bobby was another crazy decision, just look at his haircut.

I thought Corfe did fine.  There were a couple occasions when he had communications mix ups with his new teammates, but these things can take time.  And we desperately need a flair player.  Oh, regarding "just look at his haircut", its not 1983 any more.

I thought Corfe did fine.  There were a couple occasions when he had communications mix ups with his new teammates, but these things can take time.  And we desperately need a flair player.  Oh, regarding "just look at his haircut", its not 1983 any more.
Fine?

He didnt offer anything. No out ball to the wing, no dribbles or moments of flair, no crosses or any attacks in the final third of the pitch. Hell i dont even think he touched the ball more than 5 or 6 times past the halfway line. And when needed to defend he was posted missing.

Worst of all he just came on as a sub and practically jogged along the sideline. Not once did he bust a gut to get forward.

Took in the Arbroath game yesterday PT clearly the better team after the sending off,but what baffled me the most was some of the shouts at the end from the Smokies.One guy was going off his dinger at the end shouting at DC and clearly unimpressed with the season so far he then came away with some bizzare comment saying this is going to like "Forfar all over again" as he was walking away with his pals a was pissing myself laughing at that comment.
Yeah a lot of people need a reality check. The thing is a lot of the crowd have only seen us play at Gayfield when we have been excellent. I can totally understand the booing when Linn got hooked as was basically the only player that was going to get us up the pitch and potentially win or draw the game.

Overall DC is not immune from criticism but we had a poor start to the season 2 years ago and turned it round. We need to forget about last season and remember the aim is to stay up.

Some positives yesterday was our defence and Tait debut. He looked excellent and will be an asset. Unfortunately Fosu and Cofre look out of their depth. We need a striker that just stays central. Hilson does a lot of running but lacks the composure and natural striker instinct. He's a good player to bring on when your winning as is a nuisance but not going to solve our goal scoring problems. He had a great chance when Linn put the ball in but needed to be hit first time.

If we can get some players back and add a number 9 then we'll will start getting some wins no doubt. It is going to be a tough season though.

55 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Took in the Arbroath game yesterday PT clearly the better team after the sending off,but what baffled me the most was some of the shouts at the end from the Smokies.One guy was going off his dinger at the end shouting at DC and clearly unimpressed with the season so far he then came away with some bizzare comment saying this is going to like "Forfar all over again" as he was walking away with his pals a was pissing myself laughing at that comment.

I think it would maybe be more understandable if you’d witnessed the last 7 games. Where we’ve scored 3 jammy goals and created absolutely zero. Yesterday first half seemed like a wee glimmer of hope I actually enjoyed some of the stuff we played and watching Tait and Allan get on the ball was very enjoyable. 

Then second half that happened…. I actually think we’ve got a really good squad of players. Yes we are lacking upfront and it’s clear but we should be doing better than we are and I think Dick has got to take responsibility for bad man management of his players and the decisions he’s made during games. I think that’s clearly what’s killing us

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

I can understand the "Forfar all over again" comment. Dick had some good years at Forfar but I think, and I may be wrong, that he tried to ring the changes on the playing side and got it all wrong. The team went into free fall and he was sacked. Sounds kinda familiar to what's happening at Gayfield at the moment. Hopefully not, as Dick has had quite possibly his best spell as a manager here, winning League 2 and League 1 titles, keeping us in the Championship and then our outstanding last season. 

Still time to turn things round and get a few wins, but needs to be soon before we get cut adrift.

4 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I can understand the "Forfar all over again" comment. Dick had some good years at Forfar but I think, and I may be wrong, that he tried to ring the changes on the playing side and got it all wrong. The team went into free fall and he was sacked. Sounds kinda familiar to what's happening at Gayfield at the moment. Hopefully not, as Dick has had quite possibly his best spell as a manager here, winning League 2 and League 1 titles, keeping us in the Championship and then our outstanding last season. 

Still time to turn things round and get a few wins, but needs to be soon before we get cut adrift.

You think he  has lost the dressing room? Lad I was speaking to at the game was saying DC and JT had to be pulled apart major rammy in the dressing room and some players no happy the way DC was telling  them at training that everything had to go through Scott Alan or something like that a think he was trying to say.

Don't know about Dick losing the dressing room. I can only go by what I read on here and on the club website, which could be a lot better. Seems that a lot can be picked up from Twitter but I'm too old to bother with any of the multiple social network sites.

But football clubs, and AFC in particular, are as bad as the freemasons with all their secrets. The fans don't know the Nicky Low situation or the real reasons behind Thomson and Craigen suddenly leaving and the club won't say anything . So it's easy to speculate that there is unrest in the dressing room and that will always affect performances on the pitch.

We’d all like to know what’s actually going on behind the scenes. With situations like Nicky Low’s I’m sure nothing is being said in the hope it gets resolved. Making a public statement on a potentially sensitive issue would be the worst thing to do.
Last season’s success was never likely to be repeated. We’re still a small fish in a big pond.
Dick had brought in some good talent in defence and midfield. If he can bolster the attack we might just be ok.

6 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

We’d all like to know what’s actually going on behind the scenes. With situations like Nicky Low’s I’m sure nothing is being said in the hope it gets resolved. Making a public statement on a potentially sensitive issue would be the worst thing to do.
Last season’s success was never likely to be repeated. We’re still a small fish in a big pond.
Dick had brought in some good talent in defence and midfield. If he can bolster the attack we might just be ok.

No having this any more. How are we a small fish? In what way? FT and PT is the only difference between us and most clubs in this league and both have their pros and cons. Dundee and Partick Thistle are big clubs with big resources but there’s not a big deal of difference other than that

The budget would’ve been significant this season going off the backing the clubs had 

Also again I don’t think we’re too far off weve got a lot of good players and a really good squad on paper there is obviously just a whole lot of problems in the background that seem to have stemmed from bad management of the group and bad management decisions 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

He got a 2 match ban. 1 was dor the next immedate game and the other started on the 10th September.

Im assuming he has gone past a points threshold for having a 2 rather than a 1 game ban this time round.

We better be prepared to have him and others suspended again the way we keep picking up bookings

6 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I think the season we blew the play off lead to Alloa to get us into the championship dick probably was planning on us being a league above . Got a feeling that day totally fucked his plans , never got the players in he had planned or something . Who knows . 

42 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Now that we are stuck with the harbour end as the home end why do our players warm up at the other end. Dug outs signify home and away ends surely.

Yes

30 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Now that we are stuck with the harbour end as the home end why do our players warm up at the other end. Dug outs signify home and away ends surely.

Agree with this and am not happy with it. Amongst other things

I suppose it's for ease of parking for the away team and supporters buses and keeping home and away supporters apart when going into the ground. But many away supporters travel independently and arrive at the ground via pubs and Millgate loan, as do home supporters. But the signs are up on the wall so it isn't going to change and we Lichtie supporters are stuck with the sun in our eyes and wind, rain, hail and snow blowing into our faces over the season. 

So, yes, let's look after the away support and not give a toss about or own.

12 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Agree with this and am not happy with it. Amongst other things

I suppose it's for ease of parking for the away team and supporters buses and keeping home and away supporters apart when going into the ground. But many away supporters travel independently and arrive at the ground via pubs and Millgate loan, as do home supporters. But the signs are up on the wall so it isn't going to change and we Lichtie supporters are stuck with the sun in our eyes and wind, rain, hail and snow blowing into our faces over the season. 

So, yes, let's look after the away support and not give a toss about or own.

This is something that really bugs me. No matter what the club or some fans say, our traditional home end IS the Pleasureland end.

The rubbish spouted about away fans travelling predominantly from the south west doesn’t wash I’m afraid as fans of both teams approach the ground from all directions on a match day. We could also use the converse argument when playing ICT, Cove, Montrose, Elgin, Aberdeen, Ross County and Peterhead. When has geography ever played a part in deciding which end is the “away” end at grounds anyway? I can think of dozens of grounds where the away fans are housed in stands or terraces further away from the main route of entry for away fans into the city/town

As you say, we now have the prevailing wind, rain etc and low sun in our faces.

I can’t believe the fans weren’t given an say on this as I’m sure the vast majority would rather be at the other end.

14 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This is something that really bugs me. No matter what the club or some fans say, our traditional home end IS the Pleasureland end.

The rubbish spouted about away fans travelling predominantly from the south west doesn’t wash I’m afraid as fans of both teams approach the ground from all directions on a match day. We could also use the converse argument when playing ICT, Cove, Montrose, Elgin, Aberdeen, Ross County and Peterhead. When has geography ever played a part in deciding which end is the “away” end at grounds anyway? I can think of dozens of grounds where the away fans are housed in stands or terraces further away from the main route of entry for away fans into the city/town

As you say, we now have the prevailing wind, rain etc and low sun in our faces.

I can’t believe the fans weren’t given an say on this as I’m sure the vast majority would rather be at the other end.

Can't honestly say i'm  particularly bothered which end we stand in doesn't really make any difference as far as i'm concerned. A bit of wind and rain.....pah.. at least we can sunbathe 😎.

24 minutes ago, keptie said:

Can't honestly say i'm  particularly bothered which end we stand in doesn't really make any difference as far as i'm concerned. A bit of wind and rain.....pah.. at least we can sunbathe 😎.

I guess a lot depends on if you like to be behind the goals or not. I much prefer being behind the goals and there have been many times in the past where it’s been pretty miserable at that end. Also looking into the low winter sun is a right pain in the erse… well eyes really.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I guess a lot depends on if you like to be behind the goals or not. I much prefer being behind the goals and there have been many times in the past where it’s been pretty miserable at that end. Also looking into the low winter sun is a right pain in the erse… well eyes really.

The club sell a wide range of hats of all types, with many different brims, all at very reasonable prices!  Why not get one for your dog too?

On a serious note, when I started following the club in the 90s, our home end was the pleasureland end.  However, we shifted to the harbour end for promotion, and we seemed to just stay there until fairly recently.  I don't think it makes any real difference tbh.