The Arbroath Thread

But no wonder people don’t seem happy. I think Dicks turned into some crazy proffesor, he didn’t have too much to do we had the same core as last year all here. Mental decisions seem to have made the squad unhappy, trying too hard to get guys like Corfe, Fosu and Isiaka (no offence to them) instead of just going for guys who’ve played in the leagues. Trying too hard 

Bobby Linn sub the latest in a series of fucking mad decisions. The players themselves must’ve been pissed off with that too

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But no wonder people don’t seem happy. I think Dicks turned into some crazy proffesor, he didn’t have too much to do we had the same core as last year all here. Mental decisions seem to have made the squad unhappy, trying too hard to get guys like Corfe, Fosu and Isiaka (no offence to them) instead of just going for guys who’ve played in the leagues. Trying too hard 

Bobby Linn sub the latest in a series of fucking mad decisions. The players themselves must’ve been pissed off with that too

I agree with this. I think he thinks all these left field signings are going to unearth another Nouble instead of bringing in tried and tested players at this level. There was very little wrong with the squad we had at the end of the season - Swankie, Henderson and the two Hamiltons leaving meant we needed to look at replacing them in the short term with the focus on a striker and holding midfielder. 

Edited by Tattie36

Well I think it’s fair to say that we are in serious trouble. A squad severely lacking in talent and cohesion. I know some are immune to being critical of Dick but his recruitment and substitutions (including today) have been very suspect. I genuinely don’t know what we need to turn this around but based on what Iv seen recently we aren’t anywhere near it. 

Edited by lichtie23

Genuine question.

At what point is Dick's position considered?

If things dont improve on the pitch and we end up doing a Brechin, is the club and its fans willing to accept a complete collapse and relegation after all the hard work on and off the pitch the past few seasons.

Not one to be critical of DC apart from the subs every now and then but he’s a stinker this summer we are significantly weaker than last season with the incomings (bar tait and Allan) and outgoings losing experienced personnel in crags and JT.

this whole thing about only signing better players is utter bollocks

Corfe, fosu, oakley, isiaka are all total punts, not keen on jacobs and shanks is one for the future not the here and now what we desperately needed. 

obviously are in desperate need of two strikers who can actually make us effective in the final 3rd and get us up the park because just now we are hopeless going forward and are solely reliant on Bobby creating something when he plays. 
personally still think we need a holding midfielder (whatley miko hammy) type player to give the defence some more protection. 

the longer we are without a striker I really fear for us as we could be really cut adrift from even 8th place 

I’d like to see shanks play but he needs support 532 with Stewart and Hancock wingbacks linn more central possibly?

defence did good today hancock still needs to improve but a lot better today.

Who the f**k knows what dick will do 

Edited by SmokeyJoe

Did I watch a different game today?  Everyone seems to have watched one where we were destroyed 11-0.  As opposed to the game that looked fairly even until we lost a man, and even then, we looked reasonably comfortable until the very last minute.  The one where we gave minutes to a team that had spent very few minutes playing together, showing a bit of promise.  Did nobody else watch that game?  

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Did I watch a different game today?  Everyone seems to have watched one where we were destroyed 11-0.  As opposed to the game that looked fairly even until we lost a man, and even then, we looked reasonably comfortable until the very last minute.  The one where we gave minutes to a team that had spent very few minutes playing together, showing a bit of promise.  Did nobody else watch that game?  

Yes, have a look at my post on Arbroath v Patrick Thistle.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I didn’t think Partick were going to score thought we looked much better defensively. Defended a lot of corners and set pieces well and they never had many chances. Worked hard and battled well. First half we played more football than we’ve done all year

That sub though, it really has pissed me off. Even if it was for Paterson who’s played at this level and had some glimpses of being a good player but to throw on Corfe…. I don’t think it was even particularly fair on him. Mental decisions

Your defenders are going to have it easy next week we’ve got 2 midgets up top and we just try play long balls unless we sign some 6ft4 brute then got no hope, plus our 2 full backs are hopeless Millen especially it’s going to be a long season for us 

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought the defence looked ok today. So what about when TOB comes back from suspension we put him as a holding/defensive midfielder? Worth a shot? I’m pretty sure he played as a holding midfielder at Forfar. 

I, too, suggested that earlier in the week. 

The Gaffer taken off Sir Bobby Linn was baffling to say the least as he was one of our biggest goal threats (albeit ZERO shots on target tells a story)  FFS everybody can see getting an experienced BIG no 9 striker is what we require and PTFC had two in Graham and Dowds.

I am sorry but i hate slagging off our players but Corfe is not the answer, to me he he is a flair player with fancy footwork to bring on if you are 3-0 up so for DC to bring him on for Bobby was another crazy decision, just look at his haircut.

I thought we actually played OK but not to have a shot on target is very worrying.

And to the fans that gave Dowds a bit of a slagging when he was warming up grow up as through history it always happens when he comes on he will score as i have seen this happening for years.

Also i noticed Craigen scored for his new club and got MOM (albeit at a lower level) today, a bad decision by DC imo letting him go as none of the new players are better than him.  

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

Took in the Arbroath game yesterday PT clearly the better team after the sending off,but what baffled me the most was some of the shouts at the end from the Smokies.One guy was going off his dinger at the end shouting at DC and clearly unimpressed with the season so far he then came away with some bizzare comment saying this is going to like "Forfar all over again" as he was walking away with his pals a was pissing myself laughing at that comment.