The Arbroath Thread

18 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Don’t know what’s going on but hearing from a player that all is not well in the camp and a couple more on way out with more wanting out. Massive rebuilding job going to be required now 😭

Hopefully Paterson and Hilson because Paterson needs to play games and is not ready for this level yet and Hilson not up to the standard required. I think he probably isn’t enjoying his football as much here for the same reasons LD probably wasn’t 

Gaston, Gill, JT, ToB, Ricky, Hammy, Jacobs, Allan, Fosu, Corfe, Hancock, Gold, McKenna, Stewart and Shanks will all be happy they’ve only just signed / extended or have been here forever playing every week 

Imagine Bobby will be frustrated watching Hancock play left wing but he’s a club legend with a testimonial coming up soon and he has had a decent amount of game time in comparison to last year. Craigen is DCs boy but I dunno if he’s maybe unhappy about the amount of playing time he’s had, he’s watched LD start in his position a few times

Overall though I think the main blow will be losing Nicky. I do think there are a few guys in the squad that don’t make enough of an impact so I am all for some ins and outs if we can keep our main core. Think the 2 punts we’ve taken on Corfe and Fosu are the only ones we should be 50/50 on and see how they fare.

I think if we want to have a good season we need a solid squad we can rely on and who can all come in and make an impact when required 

Teams can go stale and I think that’s maybe something else we’ve suffered from this year especially after the way last season finished. A wee freshen up is probably a good thing 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

22 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Don’t know what’s going on but hearing from a player that all is not well in the camp and a couple more on way out with more wanting out. Massive rebuilding job going to be required now 😭

(If there is any truth in it) do you have any idea of who and what the catalyst is for this?

Seems very strange as squad strength and togetherness seemed to be huge parts of our success.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

(If there is any truth in it) do you have any idea of who and what the catalyst is for this?

Seems very strange as squad strength and togetherness seemed to be huge parts of our success.

D.C. said it himself in the paper a week or two back. There’ll be outgoings because players know they won’t be playing as much as they’d like to be 

All the guys are close and good lads, most of them on holiday together over the summer and are great mates off the park if they want to leave it’ll be for football reasons

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

D.C. said it himself in the paper a week or two back. There’ll be outgoings because players know they won’t be playing as much as they’d like to be 

All the guys are close and good lads, most of them on holiday together over the summer and are great mates off the park if they want to leave it’ll be for football reasons

Completely understand that players want game time and thus might want to leave to get it. However Monkfish seems to be hinting at something more deep rooted than a small number of players wanting to be on the pitch more often.

I’m sure there are a few guys at the club that are very well aware that they will be used sparingly but are happy to be part of such a good team and play as and when they’re required. Take them out of the equation and it sounds like this could be more established players. Hope not obviously.

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Completely understand that players want game time and thus might want to leave to get it. However Monkfish seems to be hinting at something more deep rooted than a small number of players wanting to be on the pitch more often.

I’m sure there are a few guys at the club that are very well aware that they will be used sparingly but are happy to be part of such a good team and play as and when they’re required. Take them out of the equation and it sounds like this could be more established players. Hope not obviously.

I think I know exactly what Monkfish is on about. Also imagine players will be frustrated at the exact same things the fans are frustrated about. Players playing out of position and some of the team selections the main ones.

They can’t be enjoying their football right now either and this is where DC has to do his job. Biggest challenge he’s had so far at Arbroath, got all the tools in place and backing that he needs so will need to just sit back and see what unfolds 

Obviously I was not sorry to see Donnelly move on. He showed over the past couple of seasons that he couldn't cut it in the Championship and was a waste of a wage. Should really have been moved on sooner.

But good luck to him with whatever club signs him up and maybe he will do well at a club in the west or central belt.