The Arbroath Thread

21 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I was told LD for example unbelievable centre mid against St Johnstone in a bounce game from someone who has zero connection to club and not a fan etc so can see why things like that are being tried. Sure LD even played centre half and strolled it in training. I imagine LD would look good in training no matter what tbh he’s just that type of guy. 

LD may well be outstanding in training/bounce games but he has shown time and again that he cannot bring that level of performance to competitive league games. 

He has been played up front and in midfield without any success.

Maybe next step will be to play him at centre half and O'Brien up front?

44 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

LD may well be outstanding in training/bounce games but he has shown time and again that he cannot bring that level of performance to competitive league games. 

He has been played up front and in midfield without any success.

Maybe next step will be to play him at centre half and O'Brien up front?

Canna play him at CB, he doesn't jump

Last season, we looked like a team with a plan, players knew their roles and carried them out, so far this season, we look a pale shadow of that, still plenty of time to turn this around, big week ahead for the club

Poor recruitment and one dimensional tactics are killing us.

In the past 3 years we have failed to sign 1 striker of a good standard to lead the line. (Thats not a loan player)

A threadbare defence and a midfield that is just slightly taller than the 7 dwarves.

The frailities of our squad have been papered over with amazing loan signings and riding our luck. But that luck has run out and we are in serious danger of relegation.

Major rethink needed in terms of who is deserving a place in the squad.

That was extremely poor, there's no getting away from that and no way to sugar coat or look for positives - simply not good enough from back to front.

One thing I would say is I think people maybe underestimated how much went for us last season (few injuries to key players, very few suspensions, a lot of ground out results and some absolutely superb loan signings alongside some good old fashioned luck) and this season we're on the opposite end of the scale so far. We've had Tam sent off x2, niggles to some key players, no loan signings so far and no luck. While we were superb all through last years campaign we could've ended up a dozen points behind where we did simply by the aforementioned things not going for us.

We are obviously short in two key areas - the sitting defensive midfielder and the striker (x2 realistically). Without the ball holding upfront at all, and with no-one breaking up the play infront of the defence it puts every other player/ position in the team under so much more pressure. The defence is being given almost no protection at points when last season we were so disciplined and difficult to break down. I feel we're still setting up to be difficult to break down and sit relatively deep, but with the current squad we're missing the players to be able to do this as the ball doesn't stick up top and we don't have enough physicality in midfield.

We also have a situation where half a dozen players who were superb last season have massively lost form, and it seems obvious to me that some confidence issues are beginning to creep in. Today I felt like several players who were consistently giving options to the player on the ball last season were sitting a bit more, offering less, and less determined to get on the ball. Confidence is a huge thing in football, and confidence was a key part to our success in keeping things together in the second half of last season when it got really tough at points.

Our players haven't suddenly become shite, we've still got the bulk/ base of the squad from last year, but when you combine all of the above and put them all together it's certainly a worry. We will make signings in the next week or two, there's no doubt about that, and we still have plenty of time to get things sorted out. However, it's quite clearly a worrying start so far both in terms of results and performances.

12 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

That was extremely poor, there's no getting away from that and no way to sugar coat or look for positives - simply not good enough from back to front.

One thing I would say is I think people maybe underestimated how much went for us last season (few injuries to key players, very few suspensions, a lot of ground out results and some absolutely superb loan signings alongside some good old fashioned luck) and this season we're on the opposite end of the scale so far. We've had Tam sent off x2, niggles to some key players, no loan signings so far and no luck. While we were superb all through last years campaign we could've ended up a dozen points behind where we did simply by the aforementioned things not going for us.

We are obviously short in two key areas - the sitting defensive midfielder and the striker (x2 realistically). Without the ball holding upfront at all, and with no-one breaking up the play infront of the defence it puts every other player/ position in the team under so much more pressure. The defence is being given almost no protection at points when last season we were so disciplined and difficult to break down. I feel we're still setting up to be difficult to break down and sit relatively deep, but with the current squad we're missing the players to be able to do this as the ball doesn't stick up top and we don't have enough physicality in midfield.

We also have a situation where half a dozen players who were superb last season have massively lost form, and it seems obvious to me that some confidence issues are beginning to creep in. Today I felt like several players who were consistently giving options to the player on the ball last season were sitting a bit more, offering less, and less determined to get on the ball. Confidence is a huge thing in football, and confidence was a key part to our success in keeping things together in the second half of last season when it got really tough at points.

Our players haven't suddenly become shite, we've still got the bulk/ base of the squad from last year, but when you combine all of the above and put them all together it's certainly a worry. We will make signings in the next week or two, there's no doubt about that, and we still have plenty of time to get things sorted out. However, it's quite clearly a worrying start so far both in terms of results and performances.

I would agree with all of this but the central midfielder thing again… like we are struggling to get up the park. I’m not really sure it’s really that much of a problem we weren’t walked through in there today or anything. That goal and most of their chances today coming from wider areas. Boys getting taken on far too easily 

16 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Voice of reason as ever

If the rumours about Nicky Low leaving prove to be true, this will be a big blow - he has been an outstanding player and over the past 14 months has played a major role in the team's success. Hopefully all involved can work something out and have a rethink to keep him at Gayfield for this season - we will know for sure very soon.

This coming week will see players coming and going, a few being released, some going out on loan and others coming in on loan.

If we can get the players required we can kick on with the season.

Low and Craigen would be two Arbroath players I’d love to have. Low won’t happen because he’ll utterly fall to pieces if he goes FT and I can’t see Craigen being one that would be let go. Besides that I’m genuinely struggling to think of an Arbroath player I’d have right now. McKenna would be another. Think it shows how far Arbroath have fallen and how much we’ve improved key areas.