The Arbroath Thread

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Shaun Byrne being allowed to go out on loan…. 

Worth a shout, likely to interest other teams in the championship and probably Dunfermline and Falkirk 

10 hours ago, ecto said:

Grant Savoury played for Queens Park on Saturday, played for Peterhead last season, would have done us

Had a clause in his contract saying he could leave for FT football

Im sure there are a few though, imagine we’ve got our eyes on the lower leagues but after last season can kind of understand why we have kept on so many players

This striker position is a bit concerning though. Loan strikers were the major part of our success last season. Nouble / Dowds and Hamilton all excellent and Wighton was not great in his second spell but he’d easily be our best striker if he was still at the club 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Im sure there are a few though, imagine we’ve got our eyes on the lower leagues but after last season can kind of understand why we have kept on so many players

This striker position is a bit concerning though. Loan strikers were the major part of our success last season. Nouble / Dowds and Hamilton all excellent and Wighton was not great in his second spell but he’d easily be our best striker if he was still at the club 

I think that’s a bit unfair on Shanks. Personally I think he’s potentially a much better striker than Wighton. He’s scored more already this season than Wighton did last season, with a fraction of the game time and he looks strong, sharp and has the ability to create goal scoring chances out of very little.

He looks the real deal to me although obviously a bit raw. Bring in an experienced striker to play alongside him and I think we’ll get a very good return. My worry is that he’s put out on loan, Dick obviously doesn’t think he’s quite ready although hopefully his performance last Saturday has changed his mind.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I get that and he would probably of ended up at QP, whether they were promoted or not, but after such a fabulous season last season, we should have been an attractive club for players to come to, but this does not appear to be the case, why is that?

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I think that’s a bit unfair on Shanks. Personally I think he’s potentially a much better striker than Wighton. He’s scored more already this season than Wighton did last season, with a fraction of the game time and he looks strong, sharp and has the ability to create goal scoring chances out of very little.

He looks the real deal to me although obviously a bit raw. Bring in an experienced striker to play alongside him and I think we’ll get a very good return. My worry is that he’s put out on loan, Dick obviously doesn’t think he’s quite ready although hopefully his performance last Saturday has changed his mind.

Shanks has shown potential yes but Wighton at 21 and just a year older had nearly 100 appearances and 30 Scotland caps at youth level, earning himself a move to Hearts 

Maybe didn’t have the best loan spell last time out but it’s not unfair on Shanks to say that

1 minute ago, ecto said:

I get that and he would probably of ended up at QP, whether they were promoted or not, but after such a fabulous season last season, we should have been an attractive club for players to come to, but this does not appear to be the case, why is that?

I’m sure we are the most attractive option for players wanting to be part time footballers??????

Savoury had a 2 year deal at Peterhead, he was only a year into it, he got to leave because it was FT

I think DC believes we already have the best part time players he says it repeatedly so not sure we would’ve actually targeted anyone and lost out on them to another part time team?

That wouldn’t have happened?

Very few young players want to play part time football.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Shanks has shown potential yes but Wighton at 21 and just a year older had nearly 100 appearances and 30 Scotland caps at youth level, earning himself a move to Hearts 

Maybe didn’t have the best loan spell last time out but it’s not unfair on Shanks to say that

I fail to see the relevance of what Wighton was doing 4-5 years ago. How good a player was Jacobs 4-5 years ago compared to now? The simple fact is that Wighton hasn’t fulfilled his promise… yet, I really hope he finds his form again as he’s obviously a good player and he was excellent in his first spell for us. However I would rather have the Shanks playing now than what we saw of Wighton last season. One is going in an upwards trajectory and is hungry, one isn’t.

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I fail to see the relevance of what Wighton was doing 4-5 years ago. How good a player was Jacobs 4-5 years ago compared to now? The simple fact is that Wighton hasn’t fulfilled his promise… yet, I really hope he finds his form again as he’s obviously a good player and he was excellent in his first spell for us. However I would rather have the Shanks playing now than what we saw of Wighton last season. One is going in an upwards trajectory and is hungry, one isn’t.

The point is I don’t think it’s unfair to say that Wighton would be our best striking option if he was at the club. He’s currently a much better all round football player and for someone with supposed unfulfilled potential he has had a good career

Shanks has looked promising yes but there’s definitely a bit of the Hester about him in the fact that everyone just loves the fact he runs around like a madman 

52 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Very few young players want to play part time football.

An not on about full time players and I understand the allure of full-time football, 

What is Ayr's top earner on and squad average?

An not on about full time players and I understand the allure of full-time football, 
What is Ayr's top earner on and squad average?

I’ve got absolutely no clue. Would maybe guess our top earner is Andy Murdoch or maybe Ben Dempsey. Would guess our average is roughly £700 per week. I could be way off with all of that though.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve got absolutely no clue. Would maybe guess our top earner is Andy Murdoch or maybe Ben Dempsey. Would guess our average is roughly £700 per week. I could be way off with all of that though.

I got told from a source close to the club that Adaloye was on £350 a week, £300 too much in my opinion.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Average annual salaries were published not too long ago for Premiership clubs. 

This is the report and it is from 2020

1. Celtic - £895,564

2. Rangers - £649,771

3. Aberdeen - £140,461

4. Hearts - £137,942

5. Hibernian - £119,700

6. Kilmarnock - £68,412

7. St Johnstone - £62,691

8. Motherwell - £59,304

9. Ross County - £55,574

10. St Mirren - £48,621

11. Livingston - £43,105

12. Hamilton - £41,154

£700x52 weeks = £36,400.00. Would be surprised if it was that considering.

Not sure how we’ve got here right enough or what Ecto is getting at 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Average annual salaries were published not too long ago for Premiership clubs. 

This is the report and it is from 2020

1. Celtic - £895,564

2. Rangers - £649,771

3. Aberdeen - £140,461

4. Hearts - £137,942

5. Hibernian - £119,700

6. Kilmarnock - £68,412

7. St Johnstone - £62,691

8. Motherwell - £59,304

9. Ross County - £55,574

10. St Mirren - £48,621

11. Livingston - £43,105

12. Hamilton - £41,154

£700x52 weeks = £36,400.00. Would be surprised if it was that considering.

Not sure how we’ve got here right enough or what Ecto is getting at 

Just curious what the smaller full time clubs pay, that was all

2 hours ago, ecto said:

Just curious what the smaller full time clubs pay, that was all

I think it’s very interesting and highlights exactly why it’s attractive for many guys to stay part-time. I would imagine our top players will be on a pretty healthy wage, add that to their day job salary, which for some will be very good, and there are few clubs in the whole of Scotland that could match that.

I would actually go as far as to say that the vast majority of our players earn significantly more than the average Championship player.

13 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I think it’s very interesting and highlights exactly why it’s attractive for many guys to stay part-time. I would imagine our top players will be on a pretty healthy wage, add that to their day job salary, which for some will be very good, and there are few clubs in the whole of Scotland that could match that.

I would actually go as far as to say that the vast majority of our players earn significantly more than the average Championship player.

Would imagine so