The Arbroath Thread

18 hours ago, ecto said:

Our defence looks lost just now, I think we need someone in front just for protection, let's Low do his thing, without to concentrate in the defensive side of the game, so that doesn't allow an attack minded player along side him, I am a fan of Mikey as much as anyone but he cannot play centre mid alongside Low, he could play instead of Low, but not along side and to honest here, if the manager thought him and Low could play together, he would have tried it by now, but he hasn't, but I do agree, Low and Allan can't play together either, so for me the only way all three get in the team is Mikey plays up top

The reason he’s not tried him in there is because he clearly likes the high energy physical presence upfront and in the 10. McKenna defends from the front. They could 100 percent play in a 2, why could they not? I don’t understand 

Hamilton and Henderson looked like they done that because they were defenders playing in midfield. Henderson was decent on the ball but Hamilton was absolutely hopeless. It was an aimless punt in whatever direction he was facing, it’s like we’re actively wanting a worse football player in centre midfield so they don’t do anything but run around and kick folk. 

Away from the incredibly frustrating on the pitch stuff I did love this

Paul Reid has been amazing for this football club, great signing. Off the park we are in such a good place and that’s so much more important than a bad couple of games in the league. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The reason he’s not tried him in there is because he clearly likes the high energy physical presence upfront and in the 10. McKenna defends from the front. They could 100 percent play in a 2, why could they not? I don’t understand 

Hamilton and Henderson looked like they done that because they were defenders playing in midfield. Henderson was decent on the ball but Hamilton was absolutely hopeless. It was an aimless punt in whatever direction he was facing, it’s like we’re actively wanting a worse football player in centre midfield so they don’t do anything but run around and kick folk. 

It was Hendo and Hammys, defensive qualities, that made them right for the role, so not a worse player, the correct player for the position 

7 minutes ago, ecto said:

It was Hendo and Hammys, defensive qualities, that made them right for the role, so not a worse player, the correct player for the position 

I’m sorry but you don’t need to play a defender or a defensive midfielder  in the middle of the park in a 4-4-1-1 or whatever it is we play, it’s ludicrous for me.

Also while I’m here David Gold is better than Chris Hamilton in that role 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To this day, I don't understand why we let Henderson go.  Genuinely think he's been our biggest loss.  I don't think Little has been on top form, looks like he came into the season carrying a slight injury, so Henderson could have let him sit a couple games out.  Similarly, he was outstanding in some of his games in midfield, I was a lurker at the time, but last season, people were jokingly making Busquets comparisons.

I'm confident we wouldn't be having these discussions if we still had him. 

Edited to add, unless of course, DC decided to play Donnelly in midfield and not give Little a break, and just decided to play Henderson on the wing.  Sigh.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

To this day, I don't understand why we let Henderson go.  Genuinely think he's been our biggest loss.  I don't think Little has been on top form, looks like he came into the season carrying a slight injury, so Henderson could have let him sit a couple games out.  Similarly, he was outstanding in some of his games in midfield, I was a lurker at the time, but last season, people were jokingly making Busquets comparisons.

Think he just wanted to be a full time player, we definitely would’ve tried to keep him.

I don’t think we’d be having these discussions if we’d actually been playing a central midfielder in central midfield instead of LD and Fosu…. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Think he just wanted to be a full time player, we definitely would’ve tried to keep him.

I don’t think we’d be having these discussions if we’d actually been playing a central midfielder in central midfield instead of LD and Fosu…. 

An actual central midfielder in central midfield?  What witchcraft do you speak of?

11 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

An actual central midfielder in central midfield?  What witchcraft do you speak of?

Like defensive qualities really is just = running around a whole lot and getting stuck in? Henderson was better in the air and a bigger physical presence, better on the ball. Hamilton had way more energy and buzzed about the park a lot more. When Whatley played there he was kind of in between, got about quite well and kept it simple. Going way back Brian Kerr was good all round. 

I 100 percent agree someone else needs to play in the middle of the park, Nicky Low needs help in there. LD is lightweight, very slow and cannot tackle. Fosu is just not a good enough player to play in there

Edited by 1320Lichtie

31 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m sorry but you don’t need to play a defender or a defensive midfielder  in the middle of the park in a 4-4-1-1 or whatever it is we play, it’s ludicrous for me.

Also while I’m here David Gold is better than Chris Hamilton in that role 

Just because it's ludicrous to you, doesn't make it wrong and you are correct, Goldie is probably better than Wee Hammy in that role, but not according to the man who picked the team

19 minutes ago, ecto said:

Just because it's ludicrous to you, doesn't make it wrong and you are correct, Goldie is probably better than Wee Hammy in that role, but not according to the man who picked the team

I’m not saying it’s wrong though that’s why I said to me, just my opinion and I haver a whole lot of shite sometimes wouldn’t ever catch me saying otherwise 

One thing I am adamant about though is that this position in particular is looking a whole lot worse than it is for the reasons everyone’s already stated, lack of striker, who’s playing in that position just now and how individuals are performing overall

58 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Edited to add, unless of course, DC decided to play Donnelly in midfield and not give Little a break, and just decided to play Henderson on the wing.  Sigh.

Henderson was offered a new contract but chose to go full time so we didnt let him go. The mistake would maybe have been not to offer him a 2 year contract at the beginning but then again, he was a young player from edinburgh city who was jumping up two leagues so may have been a bit naive giving him 2 years.

Just now, Smokerson said:

Henderson was offered a new contract but chose to go full time so we didnt let him go. The mistake would maybe have been not to offer him a 2 year contract at the beginning but then again, he was a young player from edinburgh city who was jumping up two leagues so may have been a bit naive giving him 2 years.

We have given Shanks a three year deal from the Highland League, maybe learned from not giving Henderson 2 yrs

Before the transfer window closes at the end of August I think there will be 3 more signings - 2 strikers and a midfield player.

All teams, players and managers have a run of being off form and making errors and wrong decisions- D.C and the players are going through this at the moment ( even Alex Ferguson, Jim McLean and Jock Stein made errors and wrong decisions).

I am very confident we will be back on track very soon and will regain our form.

There will be a few players coming in and others leaving, but it’s time to get off the back of calling out certain players, they are doing their best and giving 100% - not their fault they are playing out of position in a team which has lost form.

A few new signings (or loan players) and before long the confidence will return.

36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m not saying it’s wrong though that’s why I said to me, just my opinion and I haver a whole lot of shite sometimes wouldn’t ever catch me saying otherwise 

One thing I am adamant about though is that this position in particular is looking a whole lot worse than it is for the reasons everyone’s already stated, lack of striker, who’s playing in that position just now and how individuals are performing overall

A proper striker is a must, but they look as rare as hen’s teeth 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Away from the incredibly frustrating on the pitch stuff I did love this

Paul Reid has been amazing for this football club, great signing. Off the park we are in such a good place and that’s so much more important than a bad couple of games in the league. 

We're incredibly lucky to have Paul at the club. Must be the best appointment the Board has made.

He sells the Club so we'll and his enthusiasm is totally infectious. Some of those commercial deals he's getting over the line are incredible  !!

Just hope we can hang onto him. 

13 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

We're incredibly lucky to have Paul at the club. Must be the best appointment the Board has made.

He sells the Club so we'll and his enthusiasm is totally infectious. Some of those commercial deals he's getting over the line are incredible  !!

Can he play central midfield?

18 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Was brought in at a very good time and has continued the great work

Watching MNF and Liverpool actually very similar defensively to us it just seems so easy to get through them they seem so soft. Like we do, never seen us look so soft and lethargic at the back and all over the park as I have in recent weeks.

We look unfit which clearly isn’t the case, central midfield thing aside we are losing our 1 on 1 battles and second balls. Players have also went 1 on 1 with our back 4 and seemed to walk through very easily. Several examples of it, one of the worst was Savoury walking past Tam first half Saturday. 

Basically watching this seems very similar to what we’ve been seeing. A normally reliable team with plenty of good players just not playing at the level they’re capable of. Shows you, couple of positions in the team not at the required level then it affects everything.

Hopefully the new striker/strikers and Scotty Allan in particular can start to make our good players look good again and raise the level of the guys around them