The Arbroath Thread

The only other player who can bring the drive, energy and level of fitness to compete in there just now, from the current squad, is Goldie. 

The centre of midfield got totally overrun yesterday. That's why QP ended up breaking with an extra man over, leaving the central defence looking hopelessly exposed.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A defensive central midfield player is just a midfield player who sits, doesn’t bomb on and tries to break up play when the team doesn’t have the ball. Chris Hamilton only good attributes were running about a lot and tackling, Mikey can do that? He’s also a much better football player when in possession of a football. McKenna is probably one of the most industrious, physical and fit players in the division

McKenna and Low can 100 percent play in a midfield two. I don’t like the thought of it being Allan and Low as that is too lightweight and not Allan’s game at all. Allan needs to play in the 10 and McKenna needs to be in the team. It seems like the simplest of solutions but yet we’re firing LD and Fosu in a midfield 2 it’s crazy

Our defence looks lost just now, I think we need someone in front just for protection, let's Low do his thing, without to concentrate in the defensive side of the game, so that doesn't allow an attack minded player along side him, I am a fan of Mikey as much as anyone but he cannot play centre mid alongside Low, he could play instead of Low, but not along side and to honest here, if the manager thought him and Low could play together, he would have tried it by now, but he hasn't, but I do agree, Low and Allan can't play together either, so for me the only way all three get in the team is Mikey plays up top

Since I’ve been watching Dick’s teams he’s always had what I believe he calls a “dog” in midfield. A player who hunts and harries the opposition. With Chris Hamilton and Henderson gone he clearly thought that Jacobs would play that role. For whatever reason that isn’t happening. He needs to sort it quickly or we may continue to struggle. I think our defensive record last season was due to our ability to defend as a team rather than just the excellent 5 at the back.

James Craigen can play central midfield, he can tackle, decent in the air and is not afraid to have a shot at goal, yesterday would have been perfect for him especially in the 2nd half.
Yeah I agree. I think he went with Donnely due to our performance against Inverness which was decent but it just didn't work. We completely lost the midfield battle yesterday and possibly going to a back 3 in the second half and getting an extra midfielder may have helped that.

The most dissapointing thing was the second half performance though. We couldn't string 2 passes together for most of it.

Just got to take it on the chin and play the proper players in the proper positions going forward.

34 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

James Craigen can play central midfield, he can tackle, decent in the air and is not afraid to have a shot at goal, yesterday would have been perfect for him especially in the 2nd half.

Need someone with a good engine who can put it about, good aerially. 

Said Goldie earlier,  if we can't bring someone in could Scott Stewart do a job there.

What about playing the usual back 5 with Bobby & Stewart on the wings, Low & Gold/Craigen in centre mid with Scotty Allan as the number 10 and just put Mckenna uptop, Even until Allan is fit you could even have Mckenna playing their with Shanks uptop, If Gold or Craigen started yesterday instead of Donnelly then there is no chance we get overrun in midfield like that 🇱🇻⚽

I was pleasantly surprised to see Luke make a successful tackle in the first half yesterday, but it was only one and that was it. I think he’d be a quality number 10 in league 2.

You have to feel for Luke. A nice lad and an excellent footballer. He’s struggled at Championship level in his best position and gets pelters when he’s asked to play totally out of position like yesterday.

2 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

You have to feel for Luke. A nice lad and an excellent footballer. He’s struggled at Championship level in his best position and gets pelters when he’s asked to play totally out of position like yesterday.

Totally agree, not his fault at all.

An excellent footballer? Hahahahahahahahahaha

49 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:
58 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

An excellent footballer? Hahahahahahahahahaha

Calm down !!

He's playing where he's asked, sadly it's not happening for him.

32 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Surely even the most ardent "Donkelly" hater can see that it's not natural ability that holds him back?

He has ability, not championship ability

Calm down !!
He's playing where he's asked, sadly it's not happening for him.
Is that the same excuse used when he is playing as a strikers? Winger? Attacking Midfielder?

He is a football player. But his ability means he is a very limited football player and his limit is 2 or 3 levels down from where he believes himself to be.

14 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Is that the same excuse used when he is playing as a strikers? Winger? Attacking Midfielder?

He is a football player. But his ability means he is a very limited football player and his limit is 2 or 3 levels down from where he believes himself to be.

Not making any excuses .

Regardless of where he's playing, he's been chosen to play there....suggest the problem lies somewhere else.