The Arbroath Thread

15 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

I can't think of a bigger signing we've made in my lifetime. 

It's a risk and I'm not convinced it will pay off but if it does, the upside is absolutely massive.

Frederic Deswarte

32 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wonder if you made any enquiries about Griffiths, with Rab knowing him, that could've been a good fit. IMO. He's in Australian 3rd tier now seemingly.

I'm guessing that because Rab knows him, pretty much explains why we're hopefully going no where near him.

Amazing signing.

Not sure I agree totally with the criticism of Rooney, obviously he’s getting on a bit and his best days are behind him but he’s got a fantastic pedigree and could possibly still do a decent job playing alongside Shanks, not instead of.

51 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Not sure I agree totally with the criticism of Rooney, obviously he’s getting on a bit and his best days are behind him but he’s got a fantastic pedigree and could possibly still do a decent job playing alongside Shanks, not instead of.

I know it was more than ten years ago but Rooney's game for ICT was never about pace - he was never especially quick but he's one of the best natural finishers we've ever had.  If he can get fit, even given his age, I think off the bench he could still be very dangerous.

3 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

It's a risk and I'm not convinced it will pay off but if it does, the upside is absolutely massive.

It’s exactly that.

It should also put an end to the ‘plucky Arbroath’ stuff… you’re clearly in a position to take the financial risk, where maybe half the clubs in the league are not.

For me, the bottom line is that I hope he stays healthy.

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I know it was more than ten years ago but Rooney's game for ICT was never about pace - he was never especially quick but he's one of the best natural finishers we've ever had.  If he can get fit, even given his age, I think off the bench he could still be very dangerous.

Even given his age makes him sound like he’s ancient, he turned 34 at the end of April and played a lot of games and scored goals at a really good level (relatively speaking in Arbroath terms) last season 

8 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

It’s exactly that.

It should also put an end to the ‘plucky Arbroath’ stuff… you’re clearly in a position to take the financial risk, where maybe half the clubs in the league are not.

For me, the bottom line is that I hope he stays healthy.

It is not any of us who have been given it plucky Arbroath though!!! 😂

I’ve been going blue in the face trying to tell everyone how good the club are doing off the park for years. Effectively a mid tier championship level club in terms of infrastructure but only having to pay a PT playing budget 

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Scott Allan one year deal I would’ve maybe been hmmm but two years shows he will have plenty time to get fit and playing. No matter what happens we have an extremely talented player on our books for the next 24 months. Delighted. 

There could be a break in the contract after a year or something so both parties can walk away if, for some reason, it isn't working out.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Scott Allan one year deal I would’ve maybe been hmmm but two years shows he will have plenty time to get fit and playing. No matter what happens we have an extremely talented player on our books for the next 24 months. Delighted. 

Totally agree. Hope he gets his fitness level up quickly, I'm sure he'll do well at Gayfield. Class always tells, as Andy Penman showed all those years ago.