The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Hilson scores that chance and we win 3-2. The whole attitude changes. Unbeaten, win away to Dundee, 5 points on the board. Defeat changes this and things become over analysed. We are not far away and I think the simple think it comes down to is the players we have brought in this year are not at the level of the players we have lost. 

Oh I fully agree with all of this, it is very frustrating though.

3 strikers signed and none of them on the park. 3 left wingers signed and we also start with none on the park…  

We still have to recruit our main loan players, squad is going to be huge. 

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Oh I fully agree with all of this, it is very frustrating though.

3 strikers signed and none of them on the park. 3 left wingers signed and we also start with none on the park…  

We still have to recruit our main loan players, squad is going to be huge. 

Wouldn't be surprised if 3 came in in loan and 2 went out on loan, also see Hearts are looking for another forward, pushing Henderson further down the pecking order

Edited by ecto

2 minutes ago, ecto said:

Wouldn't be surprised if 3 came in in loan and 2 went out on loan, also see Hearts are looking for another forward, pushing Henderson further down the pecking order

Yeah Paterson surely going out on loan. And I’ve got a bad feeling we might put Shanks out on loan too… hopefully not though 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah Paterson surely going out on loan. And I’ve got a bad feeling we might put Shanks out on loan too… hopefully not though 

Patterson yes, I was more thinking one of either Donnelly or Hilson, unlikely I know, worth keeping Shanks within the squad 

Regarding Kieran Shanks, who I've been impressed by all things considered, what's the best thing for his development at this moment in time? It has to be playing as many games as possible at the highest possible level. Is he currently at a level where he can start in the Championship or play a part every week? That's definitely something I'm not so sure on.

If he isn't ready to play at this level yet - with him being on a 3 year deal, I'd argue it's more beneficial to the club/ player to be playing 80% game time in L1/ L2 than 10/20% max game time in Championship. Depending on our options in 2-4 weeks time, it may be that he's better on a three month loan and playing games till January rather than playing 5/ 10 minutes here and there for ourselves.

I'd also add I think it's expecting a lot for someone to jump up three levels, especially when factoring in the part time/ full time opposition. He'll need a lot more time/ training to get his body up to what's required for this level, and that's absolutely no fault of his own, it's just the size of the jump he's making.

Good evening! 

I love the Scottish Championship and I pen a weekly column on the league as I don't think it gets the press coverage it deserves!

The focus this week is Arbroath.

A fantastic story last season but I fully expect them to push for a promotion play-off place this campaign! 

Feedback always welcome!

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-championship/arbroaths-fairytale-seems-distant-memory-24763247

Actually thought Hilson did quite well when he came on, he looked lively and along with Bobby brought a bit freshness, also thought Donnelly's chance was a very good one. The two of them just seem to be so low on confidence in front of goal but I still like both as part of the squad. The fact they are coming on ahead of Corfe and Shanks when we are needing a goal was a bit strange.

I'

17 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Regarding Kieran Shanks, who I've been impressed by all things considered, what's the best thing for his development at this moment in time? It has to be playing as many games as possible at the highest possible level. Is he currently at a level where he can start in the Championship or play a part every week? That's definitely something I'm not so sure on.

I'd be tempted to give him as much game time as possible, he'd hardly be less effective than Donnelly or Hilson. It is a big jump for him but he's a young man full of energy (remember what that's like?) and will be desperate to play. And he did well against Caley Thistle, one of the better teams in this league.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

11 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I'd be tempted to give him as much game time as possible, he'd hardly be less effective than Donnelly or Hilson. It is a big jump for him but he's a young man full of energy (remember what that's like?) and will be desperate to play. And he did well against Caley Thistle, one of the better teams in this league.

Yep. If he’s needing game time then give it to him. He’s far more energetic, physical and dynamic than anything else we have up front at the moment. He’s also a natural goalscorer. I’d bet if he had both or either of those late chances on Friday then he would, at the very  least, have hit the target.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Actually thought Hilson did quite well when he came on, he looked lively and along with Bobby brought a bit freshness, also thought Donnelly's chance was a very good one. The two of them just seem to be so low on confidence in front of goal but I still like both as part of the squad. The fact they are coming on ahead of Corfe and Shanks when we are needing a goal was a bit strange.

Hilson always does "quite well" when he comes on.  He buzzes about like a wee nuisance, works hard, and gets into decent positions.  He just doesnt score goals.  Whenever I see him on the touchline preparing to come on, I mentally just assume the game is done, and nothing further will happen.

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hilson always does "quite well" when he comes on.  He buzzes about like a wee nuisance, works hard, and gets into decent positions.  He just doesnt score goals.  Whenever I see him on the touchline preparing to come on, I mentally just assume the game is done, and nothing further will happen.

I have never seen someone make scoring goals look so hard

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9319037/arbroath-scott-allan-hibs-transfer-celtic/amp/

oooooft. Drop McKenna back in centre midfield and him in the 10 and we are talking

If anything it keeps McKenna pushed forward. Don't think Allan would be a 10. Interesting to see what kind of deal this is and if the club are going more hybrid PT/FT.

Just now, SteveTheLichtie said:

If anything it keeps McKenna pushed forward. Don't think Allan would be a 10. Interesting to see what kind of deal this is and if the club are going more hybrid PT/FT.

Be a part time deal. I saw he was also doing some kids training with Goldie in the summer there 

3 minutes ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

Big drop for the lad then.

Guy will be absolutely minted and wanting to enjoy his football. 30 years old, look how good Nicky Low is and then you look at Scott Allan and the career he has had then you’d have to say it looks like an incredible bit of business if we could get it done. 

McKenna and Low with Allan just in front… 

Edited by 1320Lichtie