The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But as opposed to who? Him and Fosu had a thankless task for most of that game? 

I hope when we sign our loan striker or strikers we give him a chance to play in the middle of the park, all action box to box midfielder 

Sadly we're settling the bar fairly low. 

Mikey will kick on absolutely no

doubt.

If we don't bring in a couple of quality signings however with all the cash sloshing around I'll be feckin raging. Season ticket holders have backed the club. Over to you...

Negatives tonight - worst I’ve seen Gaston and O’Brien play - the entire defence was off it in fact; Hancock was very poor, didn’t seem to know what he was supposed to do; lack of firepower is concerning; our midfield was completely dominated and overrun; the substitutions.

Positives - scored a couple of goals; even though it was a poor performance in general, we still could have won if Hilson had just thrown his head at it or if Donnelly had met his header with some conviction.

Next week almost feels like a must win already.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, DUAFC said:

Sadly we're settling the bar fairly low. 

Mikey will kick on absolutely no

doubt.

If we don't bring in a couple of quality signings however with all the cash sloshing around I'll be feckin raging. Season ticket holders have backed the club. Over to you...

Problem and the blessing is most teams seem to have the same problem we do. 

I have been disappointed with some of the players I’ve seen go elsewhere though, guys I would’ve absolutely taken at Gayfield and who I think could’ve definitely been a realistic target that we could’ve got. I feel like we’ve taken 2 left field punts who have never played in the country before when I think we should’ve only taken 1, re signed 2 players we really shouldn’t have, should have only kept 1 at a push

Think we’ve gambled quite a bit with that and we are now high on numbers but still really lacking in the areas required

I think we were at a disadvantage playing an evening, weekday game against a full time outfit. Our guys working and travelling in the hot conditions were unlikely to be physically as well prepared as Dundee.
I thought there were too many decent players being played out of position. Neither Fosu nor McKenna were at their best in their roles and Hancock is definitely not a left winger.

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hilson is always a nuisance, buzzing about before miscontrolling the ball, and Donnelly is good for a couple league cup goals.

Hilson never produces in the final 3rd will chase back and win the ball again on half way line then be miles out of position so can’t play ball into his area. And keeping for LD for 4/5 games a season what’s the point. Taking up a space In the squad. Been great servants to the club but the championship is a step too far for them both. The back line will easily outscore them each season. 

Wasn’t too disappointed with last night at all, thought we gave everything and came so close to winning it with Donnelly header and Hilson chance (there lies the issue, I like both of them but they are league 1 players, just a bit short on quality for what we need)

Also thought Dundee were very sharp going forward and will be the team to beat.

Low gave the ball away needlessly for the first, Gaston with a howler for the 2nd. 3rd great delivery can’t argue and 4th was a catalogue of errors when we were pushing forward.

Thought Bobby made a huge difference when he came on. Running at and committing defenders and his set piece delivery. 

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Wasn’t too disappointed with last night at all, thought we gave everything and came so close to winning it with Donnelly header and Hilson chance (there lies the issue, I like both of them but they are league 1 players, just a bit short on quality for what we need)

Also thought Dundee were very sharp going forward and will be the team to beat.

Low gave the ball away needlessly for the first, Gaston with a howler for the 2nd. 3rd great delivery can’t argue and 4th was a catalogue of errors when we were pushing forward.

Thought Bobby made a huge difference when he came on. Running at and committing defenders and his set piece delivery. 

The main difference between Linn and Hancock was, Bobby kept Cammy Kerr in his own half

11 minutes ago, ecto said:

The main difference between Linn and Hancock was, Bobby kept Cammy Kerr in his own half

Aye for as much knowledge as DC and the rest have them have got it really is this simple. We invited them on to us last night with that team selection for me

We should be trying to win the game next week. Bobby must start, if Hancock starts left wing and doesn’t have a stormer… there was 3 wingers on the bench last night, one our best attacking threat by miles… and we start a centre half / left back out there. Incredible 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye for as much knowledge as DC and the rest have them have got it really is this simple. We invited them on to us last night with that team selection for me

We should be trying to win the game next week. Bobby must start, if Hancock starts left wing and doesn’t have a stormer… there was 3 wingers on the bench last night, one our best attacking threat by miles… and we start a centre half / left back out there. Incredible 

I would imagine the thinking was that we would be under a lot of pressure and that Hancock would be stronger physically and  defensively than Linn or Corfe, so kind of understand the decision. Was obvious fairly early however that it wasn’t working. He looked completely lost and didn’t give Hammy nearly enough cover. As you said Linn has to play if fit, no other player of ours creates so much, never mind his goal threat.

We were set up to soak up pressure and try and hit on the break. Unfortunately, our midfield is severely lacking something at the moment and we won very little there  and had very little meaningful possession. Dundee had a field day and strolled the midfield, felt sorry for Low as he played well and tried his heart out but he can’t do it all himself, he doesn’t have the physicality to impose himself against a strong opposition without support.

I would imagine the thinking was that we would be under a lot of pressure and that Hancock would be stronger physically and  defensively than Linn or Corfe, so kind of understand the decision. Was obvious fairly early however that it wasn’t working. He looked completely lost and didn’t give Hammy nearly enough cover. As you said Linn has to play if fit, no other player of ours creates so much, never mind his goal threat.
We were set up to soak up pressure and try and hit on the break. Unfortunately, our midfield is severely lacking something at the moment and we won very little there  and had very little meaningful possession. Dundee had a field day and strolled the midfield, felt sorry for Low as he played well and tried his heart out but he can’t do it all himself, he doesn’t have the physicality to impose himself against a strong opposition without support.

Low is a brilliant asset to our side but he definitely needs pacey imposing midfielders alongside. McKenna needs a break from trying to play striker and get back to midfield. Fosu and Hancock are both also being asked to play out of position. If Jacobs isn’t the answer then Dick needs to let him go to a lower league team where he may do well.
Great to see Bobby Linn still making such an impact. Easily the most effective of our subs.

See this stuff about people leaving early, I’ve seen it a few times now, it went 4-2 in injury time!!!! 😂😂😂

Let people do what they want. It makes absolutely zero difference to anything if people stay beyond the final whistle or not. The only difference is the people who stayed and clapped would’ve gotten home 20 minutes later than everybody else 

The players are grown adult men they do not need a token gesture clap off the park 

33 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Fair enough but he also ran at him on about 3 occasions and won corners which we are dangerous from. Bobby needs to play I think 

He’s our best player, if his birth certificate read 1992 instead of 1985 he’d play every minute 

Obviously a bad day in the office for the defence last night - they will know this and won't need to be told.

Hancock is not a winger and should never be playing in that position - he also hold onto the ball for too long and often fails to make the easy safe pass, resulting in losing the ball and putting the defence under pressure - he needs to learn fast to stop doing this ( DC also needs to understand that he can't keep playing him out of position - it's not working).

We have until the end of August to bring in a proven striker, an attacking mid-field player and a winger - I an sure DC will be looking at these positions and trying his best to sort this out.

We could have won last night - but we need to take our chances, something a proven goal scorer will do.

Great away support last night and a few more signings will make all the difference ( but we really need to stop playing players out of position).

1 minute ago, clashcityrocker said:

Obviously a bad day in the office for the defence last night - they will know this and won't need to be told.

Hancock is not a winger and should never be playing in that position - he also hold onto the ball for too long and often fails to make the easy safe pass, resulting in losing the ball and putting the defence under pressure - he needs to learn fast to stop doing this ( DC also needs to understand that he can't keep playing him out of position - it's not working).

We have until the end of August to bring in a proven striker, an attacking mid-field player and a winger - I an sure DC will be looking at these positions and trying his best to sort this out.

We could have won last night - but we need to take our chances, something a proven goal scorer will do.

Great away support last night and a few more signings will make all the difference ( but we really need to stop playing players out of position).

But we have 3 wingers who can’t get on the park already? 

He will keep playing Hancock there it was obviously why he was signed 

Overall I thought we did pretty well given the team selection although Dundee were much better than us for spells . But 4-2 flattered Dundee somewhat.

Gaston made one great save and one mistake, unfortunately the mistake cost us a goal. Doesn't matter if goals are scrappy, as long as they go in and Hammy was in the right place to score our second. McKenna would have scored if the keeper hadn't tripped him for the penalty. Hancock started well but lost his way as the game went on.

Thought Craigen did OK after coming on when Gold was injured. But did the the other 3 subs work? Well one of them did. I have no doubt the manager will continue to use the others throughout the season although it is painfully obvious that they are lacking at Championship level, but no one likes to admit to a mistake. 

On 01/07/2022 at 21:52, clashcityrocker said:

There is a much higher risk of getting injured playing on an artificial turf - in particular ACL injuries and also injuries to your legs, feet and ankles.

…….but these are the facts.

Can you show me these facts please.