The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

I don't know if it would be a good idea to drop McKenna back alongside Low and get a partnership working with Fosu and Shanks.

The lack of goals up top is a concern this coming season.

This is the final piece of the puzzle. We have a solid side by all accounts and look like we’ve got strength and depth too. But agree with this, would like to see McKenna moved into the middle of the park and a striker signed. Young Shanks done well when he come on but him and McKenna chances are the ones you need to take to win games in this division. By the results so far you can already see how tight the league is going to be 

1 hour ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

I don't know if it would be a good idea to drop McKenna back alongside Low and get a partnership working with Fosu and Shanks.

The lack of goals up top is a concern this coming season.

That’s not a bad idea. McKenna would give a bit of bite and physicality in the centre of midfield, something we’ve been sorely lacking since Williamson left.

Would also give McKenna an opportunity to rediscover some form without the pressure of being expected to bang the goals in, while still being a threat from midfield.

I can’t be the only one that’s noticed his form has dipped a fair bit in the last few months.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

That’s not a bad idea. McKenna would give a bit of bite and physicality in the centre of midfield, something we’ve been sorely lacking since Williamson left.

Would also give McKenna an opportunity to rediscover some form without the pressure of being expected to bang the goals in, while still being a threat from midfield.

I can’t be the only one that’s noticed his form has dipped a fair bit in the last few months.

I don’t think it has dropped. He’s always consistent for me. Just had a harder job the last 13 games with no Nouble in the side but he’s always a handful, does the dirty work, nightmare for opponents centre halves and has some real moments of quality in games. Few superb moments on Saturday playing the ball out wide.

Made a real mess of his chance but again that was a simple ball over the top and not many players would’ve had the strength or power to get into that position to make a mess of it in the first place, the defender was left on his arse after a shoulder to shoulder.

Mckenna is a better central midfielder than striker but his pace, strength and tenacity cause a lot of problems up front too.
Shanks looks promising but highland league to championship is a massive step up and he’ll be a work in progress.
Was impressed with fosu who looked physical and won a few headers but we desperately need an out and out striker, hopefully we’ll have at least 1 in by the end of the week.

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Championship player of the season…..

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don’t think it has dropped. He’s always consistent for me. Just had a harder job the last 13 games with no Nouble in the side but he’s always a handful, does the dirty work, nightmare for opponents centre halves and has some real moments of quality in games. Few superb moments on Saturday playing the ball out wide.

Made a real mess of his chance but again that was a simple ball over the top and not many players would’ve had the strength or power to get into that position to make a mess of it in the first place, the defender was left on his arse after a shoulder to shoulder.

Exactly.  With Nouble and Dowds in the side (and Nouble being double marked), and the threat of Nicky Low, McKenna could spend the first half of the season ghosting around in a free role.

If anything I would say that his performances in the second half of the season, when he was basically our main man and everyone knew about him, were even more impressive.

This is the final piece of the puzzle. We have a solid side by all accounts and look like we’ve got strength and depth too. But agree with this, would like to see McKenna moved into the middle of the park and a striker signed. Young Shanks done well when he come on but him and McKenna chances are the ones you need to take to win games in this division. By the results so far you can already see how tight the league is going to be 

If we had Nouble and Jack Hamilton or Dowds we’d be strong title contenders. Nothing much has changed. We’ve strengthened a bit apart from the much needed loan strikers. Please.

5 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

If we had Nouble and Jack Hamilton or Dowds we’d be strong title contenders. Nothing much has changed. We’ve strengthened a bit apart from the much needed loan strikers. Please.

Aye. Nouble is different gravy by the way he’s tearing it up just now. He will get a big move. What a player what a guy and we will never see anyone take the piss like he did ever again. 

I know in the past it hasn't worked well for us but we do have the players now that could operate in a back 3. It will be interesting to see if that tactic is used at any point this season.

I don't really think it will be while we are keeping clean sheets etc.

Hammy was solid at CB on Saturday. I can see him finishing his career there as he gets older.

2 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

I know in the past it hasn't worked well for us but we do have the players now that could operate in a back 3. It will be interesting to see if that tactic is used at any point this season.

I don't really think it will be while we are keeping clean sheets etc.

Hammy was solid at CB on Saturday. I can see him finishing his career there as he gets older.

Aye 100 percent. JT seems like he doesn’t have too much left in him. Still got 2/3 years in Ricky. 4/5 left in Tam. Hammy only 30 so still got a good bit left in him.

Wonder if Goldie will become 1st choice right back this season. 

3 at the back not for me though but Hancock does look like he would suit it. 

Gaston

Little

ToB

Hammy 

Scotty Stewart RWB

Hancock LWB

Is a good base but we’ve signed quite a lot of attacking players. I noticed we went 4-2-3-1 on Saturday when Shanks come on, obviously to suit Corfe and Fosu. Hilson on the right of the 3

Really unsure on Corfe, obviously loads of ability but would be cautious about throwing him in right now. Probably needs to get streetwise quite quick noticed he was a bit suspect defensively and going forward maybe tried to do a wee bit too much when you don’t get too much time in this league 

Normally fine with gold at right back but i dont think he’s looked comfortable there filling in for JT in the last few games. He’s best in the middle of the park but unfortunately his versatility goes against him.
Agree that hancock and stewart would be good wingbacks but i’d stick with the tried and tested 4-4-1-1.

Would bring back Thomson for the Dundee game. Pretty sure Hancock will play on the left with Stewart on the right, Gold and Low in the middle, with McKenna supporting Fosu. Would like Craigen to be given more of a chance but cant see him starting him and Nicky in the middle together.

7 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would bring back Thomson for the Dundee game. Pretty sure Hancock will play on the left with Stewart on the right, Gold and Low in the middle, with McKenna supporting Fosu. Would like Craigen to be given more of a chance but cant see him starting him and Nicky in the middle together.

Thing is with Thomson there I would worry they would just put McMullen on him. That feels like a disaster written all over it 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How’s that work though, do they get a refund for Saturdays game?

As far as I’m aware you can buy a full season ticket any time you want,  right up until the half tickets go on sale I would imagine. It’ll be full price so won’t make much sense after a few games.

38 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Club has just announced 1332 season tickets sold so far. I still know a couple who haven’t got theirs yet either.

I’m sure after a Xmas a load of people will get half season tickets as well 

Saw Morton announce 900. Sure that won’t be the lowest in the league either. Cove and QP 100 percent be well below that. 

1330 or whatever we are at is very good and important for the club financially. We will absolutely be blowing every other part time club out the water with they numbers. This on top of a healthy 1200 last year too 

I just hope we can start scoring some goals and have another decent season. We have had quite a tough start fixture wise and this division is all about momentum