The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Sign him!  However, if he wants to be listed, I can only assume a full time club is already sniffing around.  The whole league are desperate for goalscorers.

I think the reason he is leaving is because of Cove’s desire to go hybrid/full time. Sure he is a self employed heating engineer so he’ll definitely be staying part time. 

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

I think the reason he is leaving is because of Cove’s desire to go hybrid/full time. Sure he is a self employed heating engineer so he’ll definitely be staying part time. 

Definitely sign him them!  It would be a dereliction of duty not to go for him.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Exactly on the job front. We won't go hybrid until at least next season. I thought he'd see out his remaining year on his contract and then it would be a natural parting.

Reading between the lines he's going as he wants to play every week. He should be with what we have as our new lad Gerry isn't close to him in regards to finishing.

I suspect he'll go back to Peterhead or do something left field and sign for a HL club for less travelling.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Would definitely consider going for McAlister. Not sure if DC will or not. Could be a good thing for young Shanks too, biggest and most important thing I imagine would be his character. Because he wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter every week I don’t think. But McAlister, Young Shanks and a loan striker from the Premiership would be good three options to have going into the season 

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Sign him!  However, if he wants to be listed, I can only assume a full time club is already sniffing around.  The whole league are desperate for goalscorers.

He's no going full time at his age, surely

4 minutes ago, ecto said:

He's no going full time at his age, surely

He’s not wanted to do it at any age. He was the ToB of centre forwards for a long time. Lots of interest from top flight teams but had zero interest in ever doing it. 

35 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye it could be but I reckon McAlister will be off to Brechin and score about 200 goals 

Oh aye, even though I would like to see it, I’m sure he’ll not be coming to us for a few reasons - he would not be guaranteed a start; he might prefer an easier gig to end his career and I can’t see him coping with the travel for training.

He’ll more than likely end up back at Peterhead or Brechin, or some other HL side like BoD, Formartine or Locos.

Edited by Tattie36

I'd be very interested in how many people who want us to sign Rory McAllister have seen him play in the last two years? I know a few people who have and.... 

I feel a lot of people are pining for mid 2010s Rory McAllister to sign up at Gayfield, and the reality is this is 2022....

If we signed him, we'd be asking a 35 year old to step up a level where the pace of the game is a yard sharper. One of the main reasons he's leaving Cove is due to because he's unable to give the committment required to play at a Championship club.... if he's struggling to make every training session/ committment required in the Aberdeenshire area (local to him) you can be damn sure he aint able to up that committment and add another 200+ miles on the road every week to his routine.

He's got very limited options due to his location, like he has all of his career..... I'd expect him to sign for Peterhead or Inverurie in the next few weeks.

10 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'd be very interested in how many people who want us to sign Rory McAllister have seen him play in the last two years? I know a few people who have and.... 

I feel a lot of people are pining for mid 2010s Rory McAllister to sign up at Gayfield, and the reality is this is 2022....

If we signed him, we'd be asking a 35 year old to step up a level where the pace of the game is a yard sharper. One of the main reasons he's leaving Cove is due to because he's unable to give the committment required to play at a Championship club.... if he's struggling to make every training session/ committment required in the Aberdeenshire area (local to him) you can be damn sure he aint able to up that committment and add another 200+ miles on the road every week to his routine.

He's got very limited options due to his location, like he has all of his career..... I'd expect him to sign for Peterhead or Inverurie in the next few weeks.

This is 2022 yes and we have been watching Hilson and LD upfront for us these last two years. Would either of them have come anywhere close to scoring 28 goals over the past 2 years at L1 level like McAlister has? Think we both know that answer 

End of the day it won’t happen anyway but we are in dire need of a striker who knows how to kick the ball between the posts we cannot pin everything on young Shanks

I think Inness Cameron will happen along with another if DC has said he wants 2 and as for a creative player there are a few more options out there

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This is 2022 yes and we have been watching Hilson and LD upfront for us these last two years. Would either of them have come anywhere close to scoring 28 goals over the past 2 years at L1 level like McAlister has? Think we both know that answer 

End of the day it won’t happen anyway but we are in dire need of a striker who knows how to kick the ball between the posts we cannot pin everything on young Shanks

I think Inness Cameron will happen along with another if DC has said he wants 2 and as for a creative player there are a few more options out there

Good point re Hilson and LD. What positions in the team now are realistically up for grabs at the moment? As DC says being the best part time team in the country it’s difficult to get much better . Premier loans can be a good option but quite often we have seen them not work either. Need a bit luck in that market 

25 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Good point re Hilson and LD. What positions in the team now are realistically up for grabs at the moment? As DC says being the best part time team in the country it’s difficult to get much better . Premier loans can be a good option but quite often we have seen them not work either. Need a bit luck in that market 

I think our back 4 and keeper are as good as we could get. Nicky Low / Bobby / McKenna and Scotty Stewart are as good as you can really get. 9 out of the starting 11 really strong dependable quality guys who you know what you’re going to get from. 

Gold / Craigen are great cover for central midfield and other positions. Jury out on Jacobs still but he’s got a great CV and is a good age. You’d fancy him to do well. Fosu and Paterson are very much guys who I think have potential and I’m enjoying seeing them play just now. Shanks is for me already our best all round striker with a whole lot of learning and improvement to come.

I like Hilson and LD and think they have their merit but as has been discussed repeatedly on here the lack of goals is their main problem.

Only players up for grabs are loan players. There’s also some free agents like Charlie Telfer, Scott Allan and Marc McNulty still floating about but fat chance any of them will end up here. Even though Scott Allan was reportedly very close to signing in January 

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

35 year old striker not what we’re needing, tried that in the past with the pruntys and Doolans and it rarely works. 

So my question would be, is there a part time striker in the Scottish leagues who will get us more goals?  And if so, why don't we own them?

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So my question would be, is there a part time striker in the Scottish leagues who will get us more goals?  And if so, why don't we own them?

We don’t have some sort of god given right to have the best part time player in every position because we’ve had a good few seasons. Plenty reasons why part time players wouldn’t want to sign for us, whether it be financial or related to their personal circumstances.