The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

Our defence was quite sloppy and Airdrie had a fair few chances, especially first half.

I don't know if it's a younger manager thing but I'm seeing more and more teams trying to build from the back and every time I see it, I think it causes them more problems than us. Every time I see a team religiously play goal kicks to a defender in the box, I know that we'll force a mistake that leads to a chance at least once in the course of the game.

Good point re playing it out. My 11 year old son is taught to play like that, he’s a full back and gets put under a lot of unnecessary pressure as it’s a tactic used pretty much all the time at that age.

Darvel also did it in the cup last year and basically handed us the game on a plate. I’m sure it works for them at their level but you have the ability to change tactics if it’s not working against a stronger team. Also some examples of it going spectacularly wrong in the wifie’s Euros.

Edited by Tattie36

58 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

Our defence was quite sloppy and Airdrie had a fair few chances, especially first half.

I don't know if it's a younger manager thing but I'm seeing more and more teams trying to build from the back and every time I see it, I think it causes them more problems than us. Every time I see a team religiously play goal kicks to a defender in the box, I know that we'll force a mistake that leads to a chance at least once in the course of the game.

Both centre backs are struggling with fitness and injuries right now and theres no backup as such. Needs to be a decent backup brought in on loan at least. 

Agree, teams playing from the back at this level will get punished more times than creating space and opportunity. Don't know why they do it.

We played well but could play better. The lack of a clinical striker is plain to see. Dicks insistence on using all substitutes well before full time leaves us open to what happened with Gold, luckily enough the game was all but over. 

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Good point re playing it out. My 11 year old son is taught to play like that, he’s a full back and gets put under a lot of unnecessary pressure as it’s a tactic used pretty much all the time at that age.

Darvel also did it in the cup last year and basically handed us the game on a plate. I’m sure it works for them at their level but you have the ability to change tactics if it’s not working against a stronger team. Also some examples of it going spectacularly wrong in the wifie’s Euros.

Its because all these young managers want to be Pep Guardiola. Side to side, patient stuff.  Plus a lot of the full time players come from SPL academies. They're technically good kids.

Always gladdened my heart last season to watch the goalkeeper gently pass it to a full back on the edge of the box, while McKenna, Nouble and Dowds absolutely thundered in on them.

11 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Ever since I started going in the late 70s/early 80s, the Pleasureland end was the end where home fans would gravitate to pre match. Remember there was no segregation back then apart from big cup games. The Pleasureland end was always given to away fans for big cup games but for all other games it was where home fans congregated. The first time this changed for league games was when we were in the second tier in the early 2000s, normal service was resumed once we dropped back down the leagues.

Really don’t understand the reasoning for it at all - fine if every single away fan arrived on a supporters bus that parked behind that goal but that’s not how fans travel/arrive at games - there is zero segregation outside pre and post match and fans of both teams arrive from all directions.

Don’t know why, we never moved to the other dugout, or warmed up at harbour end, when it’s been obvious for the past few years, that harbour end was now the home end

58 minutes ago, ecto said:

Don’t know why, we never moved to the other dugout, or warmed up at harbour end, when it’s been obvious for the past few years, that harbour end was now the home end

From memory, we switched dugouts under John McGlashan in the mid/late 00s, and we used to be in the dugout closer to the Harbour End prior to that?

I'm not sure if it's true, something I've misremembered or verging on urban myth but I'm sure we moved dugouts under John's management as he wanted to have our dugout closer to the linesman on that side in order to 'influence' things more where possible! :D 

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

From memory, we switched dugouts under John McGlashan in the mid/late 00s, and we used to be in the dugout closer to the Harbour End prior to that?

I'm not sure if it's true, something I've misremembered or verging on urban myth but I'm sure we moved dugouts under John's management as he wanted to have our dugout closer to the linesman on that side in order to 'influence' things more where possible! :D 

Surely we did that under Baikie, him or his assistant, loved to man mark the lino 😉

Someone said to me yesterday it was a boring game. 

It really is good that we are in the position where we’re too good for the opposition so the games not the best to watch. Levels to this 

We were incredibly sloppy in the first half at the back and got away with it but second half we turned it up a level and if we kept 11 men for the full 90 I think we would’ve scored a couple more. Too easy 

Bobby and Nicky brilliant football players 

We need to strengthen, very happy for young Shanks getting his goal 

I'm still getting the fear about going into the new season with Hilson and Donnelly again, but looking at the other part time clubs in Scotland, and even the full time ones...are there any prolific strikers any more?  The Scottish game generally seems to have a real shortage of goalscorers.

If we could afford to just buy any part time striker from the Scottish league we wanted, who could we get?

Am I missing something? We have sailed through our group winning every game and only lost 1 goal. Into the last 16 in total cruise control. 

We need to bring a striker in, I have listened to Campbell say in at least 3 interviews that this will probably be a loan player and will come in august. 

Actually buzzing for the league to start. We’re going to be a hard team to beat again.

Am I missing something? We have sailed through our group winning every game and only lost 1 goal. Into the last 16 in total cruise control. 

We need to bring a striker in, I have listened to Campbell say in at least 3 interviews that this will probably be a loan player and will come in august. 

Actually buzzing for the league to start. We’re going to be a hard team to beat again.

8 different scorers in our League Cup games. That’s how we thrive.