The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, ecto said:

I agree, plesh end is the home end

How far back we going ? Ive been going to gayf since 2000 and in the first division under brownlie we were harbour end. 

last season was the first i seen at pleash end. Took a bit of getting used to but I come to prefer it. 

35 minutes ago, A.K. Barr said:

How far back we going ? Ive been going to gayf since 2000 and in the first division under brownlie we were harbour end. 

last season was the first i seen at pleash end. Took a bit of getting used to but I come to prefer it. 

Up until the mid 90s the pleasureland end was always the home end, I think it changed to the harbour end for segregation and on police advice being that most of the away support would arrive and leave that way along the Dundee road.

11 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Up until the mid 90s the pleasureland end was always the home end, I think it changed to the harbour end for segregation and on police advice being that most of the away support would arrive and leave that way along the Dundee road.

Police advice. FFS, hardly a huge walk around for away fans is it? 

First half was ugly but we played them off the park in the second half. Gaston with some vital saves and Nicky Low superb in the middle of the park. Job done and seeded in the last 16 draw. 

Hopefully Goldy’s injury isn’t a bad one. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

First half was ugly but we played them off the park in the second half. Gaston with some vital saves and Nicky Low superb in the middle of the park. Job done and seeded in the last 16 draw. 

Hopefully Goldy’s injury isn’t a bad one. 

Same thoughts from our end. We got in behind a good Arbroath defence several times in the first half but wasted every chance, whereas Arbroath were ruthless with theirs. Airdrie played some decent football at times but Arbroath are a strong team who were excellent at stopping us and quickly passing the ball up the park to kill any momentum. Agreed on Nicky Low, Adam Frizzell has ran the midfield in our last three games but Low strolled that today. Enjoyable day out though despite the result, nice to get a now rare trip to Gayfield. All the best for the season, hopefully another good season for you.

I was impressed with Airdrie up to the 2nd goal which killed it as a contest. 

They're a better passing team than half of the championship teams I've seen recently.  In fairness they lacked the cutting edge you really need up front.  Suspect they'll be up near the top of an interesting League 1.

5 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

Am no sure this is right, we were segregated for a cup game against Aberdeen in the 80s to the harbour end, think we were also at that end for the QF against Dundee in 77

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

I was impressed with Airdrie up to the 2nd goal which killed it as a contest. 

They're a better passing team than half of the championship teams I've seen recently.  In fairness they lacked the cutting edge you really need up front.  Suspect they'll be up near the top of an interesting League 1.

Early chance passed up by Smith and my view from the away end meant I could not really work out if Hutton was at faul for the first. Even then there were two other one on ones which we squandered and you can't do that against a very good Arbroath side. 

It was evenish at half time but that quick 2nd goal let Arbroath stroll it . Nicky Low was really good and I was impressed by the way the ball was moved. Always liked Bobby Linn and he had so much space that he remained dangerous. I thought Hutton did well with his many saves to keep down the score. 

Don't like watching from behind goals but it was a pleasant day weather wise, even if the early Bovril lacked the essential ingredient -hot water - but the pies got high score.

A tough test for us but it's the League that matters and we need some more competitive players.

Good luck and best wishes to the Red Lichties again this season.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

A very pleasant afternoon in the end.

Airdrie started very well, they needed a win and you could tell they were up for it.

Great play by Scott Stewart to lay the ball on a plate for McKenna and we came into it more the longer the first half went on.

Second half was pretty much a stroll, although Airdrie did have a couple of good chances. Even when we went down to 10 we still looked the more likely to score.

Very impressed again with Shanks and delighted he got his goal, a tap in that Hilson, Donnelly and even Lewandowski would score 😉. Hopefully he’ll push on now and get a good few more.

Low brilliant in midfield again, great to get another 90 minutes under his belt. A few other good performances - JT, ToB and Linn who just has to play when fit. Liking Fosu the more I see him, looks very versatile and has a real physicality about him. Hope Gold’s injury isn’t too serious.

Think Airdrie will do ok again this season, they passed it well and looked pretty dynamic. A bit more luck and composure in front of goal and the game could have been a lot closer. Definitely see them getting at least a play off place again.

25 minutes ago, ecto said:

Am no sure this is right, we were segregated for a cup game against Aberdeen in the 80s to the harbour end, think we were also at that end for the QF against Dundee in 77

Ever since I started going in the late 70s/early 80s, the Pleasureland end was the end where home fans would gravitate to pre match. Remember there was no segregation back then apart from big cup games. The Pleasureland end was always given to away fans for big cup games but for all other games it was where home fans congregated. The first time this changed for league games was when we were in the second tier in the early 2000s, normal service was resumed once we dropped back down the leagues.

Really don’t understand the reasoning for it at all - fine if every single away fan arrived on a supporters bus that parked behind that goal but that’s not how fans travel/arrive at games - there is zero segregation outside pre and post match and fans of both teams arrive from all directions.

Edited by Tattie36

Our defence was quite sloppy and Airdrie had a fair few chances, especially first half.

I don't know if it's a younger manager thing but I'm seeing more and more teams trying to build from the back and every time I see it, I think it causes them more problems than us. Every time I see a team religiously play goal kicks to a defender in the box, I know that we'll force a mistake that leads to a chance at least once in the course of the game.