The Arbroath Thread

Not much to say about that today. Mo the better team in the first half, thought we shaded the second, certainly created enough chances to win. Don’t think any of the trialists did enough, very impressed with Shanks. Not going to say anything about Hilson but by god that last chance saloon is a big place.

I was impressed with Shanks today as well. Plays with a lot of energy. I actually didn’t think his penalty was too bad, it was far enough in the corner but the keeper made a great save. Not sure what to think of Jacobs yet. Seemed a bit sloppy on the ball today.

Im not going to pan a trialist after only seeing them once. These players are coming up to play in a team with very little preperation, training with the team mates and with strangers. Seen a lot worse performances from our own players over the years.

Trialist 34 looked a bit out of his depth from the start but came into the game more. Decent work rate but nothing special about him though.

Trialist 35 wasnt in the game at all the first half. But then again most of the team wasnt.

Trialist 37. Poor start but again came into the game as the game went on. Some nice touches but also some poor decisions. But

Worked hard when out of possesion. Got forward at times and did better than the next player mentioned. Was a cracking goal from him.

Now i am not saying we should sign them. We need to see them play more to determine if they are good enough. But if we are basing our views on what these players have done in one game, what does that say for the players we have.

Just look at Hilson today. Played just as bad if not worse than recent trialists over the years. Woeful performance from an experienced player. Couldnt run with the ball, no composure in front of goal and offered very little other than run around and chase after the ball. And Jacobs didnt look that impressive today.

Must be hard for these trialists to show their potential in one game when thrown in with a bunch of players they dont know, little to no training and in a team that is being mashed together to get players game time rather than to win.

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Not going to say anything about Hilson but by god that last chance saloon is a big place.

I'm quite glad that any talk of us signing him has gone quiet, not impressed by him at all today.

2 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Shanks penalty saved? Great save or poor penalty? (For future reference.)

Looked a very good save from the other end. I actually thought our centre backs kept him fairly quiet, he has a lot of learning to do and would be surprised if he was anything other than a bench option just now.

Decent game that, and fair play for a big away support coming up.

Spoiler

Bobby should've taken the pen though ;)

Edited by Scorge

Nipped to see the game but quickly reminded why I normally avoid pre season games. Montrose we’re ok 20-25 mins but that aside the game was an awful watch. I suppose the players get a bit fitness out it but in terms of spectating it was a drab affair. 

not sure why we have so many players on holiday either. Not great at all. 

Edited by Smokerson

Im not going to pan a trialist after only seeing them once. These players are coming up to play in a team with very little preperation, training with the team mates and with strangers. Seen a lot worse performances from our own players over the years.

Trialist 34 looked a bit out of his depth from the start but came into the game more. Decent work rate but nothing special about him though.

Trialist 35 wasnt in the game at all the first half. But then again most of the team wasnt.

Trialist 37. Poor start but again came into the game as the game went on. Some nice touches but also some poor decisions. But

Worked hard when out of possesion. Got forward at times and did better than the next player mentioned. Was a cracking goal from him.

Now i am not saying we should sign them. We need to see them play more to determine if they are good enough. But if we are basing our views on what these players have done in one game, what does that say for the players we have.

Just look at Hilson today. Played just as bad if not worse than recent trialists over the years. Woeful performance from an experienced player. Couldnt run with the ball, no composure in front of goal and offered very little other than run around and chase after the ball. And Jacobs didnt look that impressive today.

Must be hard for these trialists to show their potential in one game when thrown in with a bunch of players they dont know, little to no training and in a team that is being mashed together to get players game time rather than to win.

That’s just how Hilson plays normally. He’s hopeless and should’ve been punted at the end of last season.

9 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

That’s just how Hilson plays normally. He’s hopeless and should’ve been punted at the end of last season.

I agree. Lots of energy and effort but unfortunately absolutely no end product. 

FC Edinburgh vs Arbroath Tickets Now on Sale

Meadowbank Stadium can only hold 499 Supporters so these tickets will go fast.  We recommend if you want to go, buy now.

https://app.fanbaseclub.com/Fan/Tickets/ChooseQuantity?ticketId=548&fixtureId=1530

Adults - £12.00
Concession - £8.00
Under 16 - £5.00

Please be aware that identification of age on ticket type you buy may be asked for prior to entering the turnstiles area.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Please don’t say it was you who named that link? 

In other news I am starting to be a bit concerned. Hancock might still happen but the fact the Courier called him a winger (presumably that’s because what DC said in his interview) when he is a centre half who’d been playing left back for Aberdeen in pre season suggests to me he would probably become the new Henderson and play left wing. 

Very early days for Jacobs but I’m not as optimistic as I was about him. Chris Hamilton was very frustrating with the ball at his feet but without it he was excellent for winning it back and breaking up the game 

If any of the trialists sign then I’ve no idea what we are doing. It’ll be another Ford / Bakare situation again and a total waste of a jersey which we really do not need especially in attacking positions as we have got LD and Hilson who’s record in front of goal is extremely poor already  

Shanks looks like the one big boost we’ve had so far. Also Bobby who I really hope gets on the park more

We need 2/3 really good loan signings. Nouble transformed us as a team and Jack Hamilton covered a lot of cracks. Defence has obviously been excellent and got a whole lot of confidence in the back 5 but going forward right now worries me 

Just picturing how frustrating it’s going to be when we are needing a goal and are looking at the bench where we’ve got LD/Hilson and one of they random trialists sitting there

Have heard a name of one of the other guys we are looking to get in on loan and it’s also pretty uninspiring on the face of it 

Will just have to wait and see what happens

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Please don’t say it was you who named that link? 

In other news I am starting to be a bit concerned. Hancock might still happen but the fact the Courier called him a winger (presumably that’s because what DC said in his interview) when he is a centre half who’d been playing left back for Aberdeen in pre season suggests to me he would probably become the new Henderson and play left wing. 

Very early days for Jacobs but I’m not as optimistic as I was about him. Chris Hamilton was very frustrating with the ball at his feet but without it he was excellent for winning it back and breaking up the game 

If any of the trialists sign then I’ve no idea what we are doing. It’ll be another Ford / Bakare situation again and a total waste of a jersey which we really do not need especially in attacking positions as we have got LD and Hilson who’s record in front of goal is extremely poor already  

Shanks looks like the one big boost we’ve had so far. Also Bobby who I really hope gets on the park more

We need 2/3 really good loan signings. Nouble transformed us as a team and Jack Hamilton covered a lot of cracks. Defence has obviously been excellent and got a whole lot of confidence in the back 5 but going forward right now worries me 

Just picturing how frustrating it’s going to be when we are needing a goal and are looking at the bench where we’ve got LD/Hilson and one of they random trialists sitting there

Have heard a name of one of the other guys we are looking to get in on loan and it’s also pretty uninspiring on the face of it 

Will just have to wait and see what happens

I was really hoping that, especially after last season, we would be a very attractive proposition for some quality loans. Been very unimpressed with what I’ve seen/heard so far.

I think they’re trying to unearth another Nouble with these guys they’ve been playing but, aside from the goal, none of them have been worth a contract imo.

I think the fact that Hilson played 90 minutes on Saturday says a lot, granted it was a pretty threadbare squad. Obviously Dick Campbell REALLY rates him, so expect to see a lot of him this season. He’s just not a goal threat (or Donnelly), how long did he have with that chance to shoot? even then he missed the target, and that daft dummy he did when the ball was on a plate was typical of him - so frustrating.

Was hoping he and LD would just be sparingly used squad players but I fear we’ll see far more of them than their play deserves…. again.

As you say, Shanks looks potentially an excellent signing so that’s some good news. Gill also looked an upgrade on Antell.

I would like to see another striker, a winger and a physical midfielder. Just have to wait, early days still I suppose.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I was really hoping that, especially after last season, we would be a very attractive proposition for some quality loans. Been very unimpressed with what I’ve seen/heard so far.

I think they’re trying to unearth another Nouble with these guys they’ve been playing but, aside from the goal, none of them have been worth a contract imo.

I think the fact that Hilson played 90 minutes on Saturday says a lot, granted it was a pretty threadbare squad. Obviously Dick Campbell REALLY rates him, so expect to see a lot of him this season. He’s just not a goal threat (or Donnelly), how long did he have with that chance to shoot? even then he missed the target, and that daft dummy he did when the ball was on a plate was typical of him - so frustrating.

Was hoping he and LD would just be sparingly used squad players but I fear we’ll see far more of them than their play deserves…. again.

As you say, Shanks looks potentially an excellent signing so that’s some good news. Gill also looked an upgrade on Antell.

I would like to see another striker, a winger and a physical midfielder. Just have to wait, early days still I suppose.

Thing is I don’t think we need much from last season. Couple of wingers and some new strikers. Will need to see what Jacobs does but I loved Gold in there when he came in for Chris Hamilton last season, I actually probably preferred Gold to Hamilton. Craigen can also play there too so I don’t think that’s as much an issue 

Thing that frustrated me time and time again last season though was having Stewart on the right and either Craigen/Henderson or Hilson on the left. Was painful to watch, none of them are wingers they cannot beat their man and often didn’t even attempt to because they themselves know that too 

Stewart on the other side also very conservative, it’s kind of why I prefer him at right back because when he builds up a steam he’s very powerful and quick and good at getting forward from full back. Facing a guy up one on one though I think he struggles a bit it’s not his game to produce a trick and go by someone in a short quick burst 

So basically it just resulted in a pass back inside from the wings and then a chip ball forward or over the top from the middle of the park to Hamilton or McKenna to chase. And when Nouble was here he just took it and created everything himself he was a cheat code 

Why it was in my opinion such a crime that Bobby was not used more often, look at the games he did play toward the end of the season, especially Inverness, he was genuinely our only hope of making anything happen. For me he got a bit of a hard time, hadn’t played much at all, played midweek v Partick had a great game and then got a start 3/4 days later v Dunfermline where he looked absolutely knackered but it was no wonder 

So I genuinely think all we really need is a pacey winger who will run at a full back (Patterson potentially but we don’t know) and strikers to replace ones we’ve lost, they might not be as good as the loans we lost but guys on the verge of first team squads in the Premiership are better than the strikers we’ve got right now (Shanks excepted right now he looks the real deal)

Got the fear that we will sign one of they trialists and I think we will purely off the back of DC comments saying he was hopeful of finding a gem from nowhere, which to me does feel like as you say trying to find our own Nouble.. and also got the fear we will sign Hancock and play the guy left wing

I am sure everything will work out and I will be wrong but on the face of it just now I am not overly convinced 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Absolutely no need to panic whatsoever, we will add another 4 possibly 5 players in the coming weeks I would think. Still have the bulk of last season's team, badly need a striker and a left sided player which i am sure we will be working on.

I prefer Stewart at right midfield where we can capitalise better on his tireless energy up and down; and prefer Thomson at right back (for both defensive and offensive capabilities).  I also think Bobby Linn is better used in selective phases rather than always starting. The two departing Hamiltons will be very hard to replace.

After far exceeding expectations last season, we may need to moderate them significantly this.

Edited by farflung lichtie