The Arbroath Thread

Did not expect too much yesterday, just a case of getting match fit. However I did like the look of Shanks and Jacobs, think they will be good recruits. Shanks took his goal well and Jacobs was strong in defence. Question is, will Jacobs get any game time.

Did not expect too much yesterday, just a case of getting match fit. However I did like the look of Shanks and Jacobs, think they will be good recruits. Shanks took his goal well and Jacobs was strong in defence. Question is, will Jacobs get any game time.

I was assuming that Jacobs would play the midfield role vacated by Chris Hamilton. Is he more of a defender?

37 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I was assuming that Jacobs would play the midfield role vacated by Chris Hamilton. Is he more of a defender?

Centre mid. Imagine him and Nicky Low will play in there together with McKenna just in front 

Think it’s hard for trialists to impress for us in friendlies because we tend to line up 352, which doesn’t suit any of our players, just to get bodies on the pitch. Eze maybe worth another look but big Dembele looked way off it.

You would think by the way folk are talking, that we are near the end of preseason and these trialists have not done enough over multiple games to earn a deal.

Extremely harsh to judge someone over 45 mins in the first game and players just back in training.

Mind Nouble looked rusty the first couple of games. He was decent afterwards.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

You would think by the way folk are talking, that we are near the end of preseason and these trialists have not done enough over multiple games to earn a deal.

Extremely harsh to judge someone over 45 mins in the first game and players just back in training.

Mind Nouble looked rusty the first couple of games. He was decent afterwards.

Don’t really think anyone’s doing that

Also Nouble was playing at a really good level with Aldershot. I remember the debates etc about Wrexham etc, did anyone watch the promotion play offs from that league at the end of the season? Some cracking players in it and some massive crowds. 

Aye Mason Hancock from Aberdeen confirmed now. Stirling Albion fans said he was a Rolls Royce at left back for them last season, he’s a centre half though and played there as captain when Aberdeen B beat us in the diddy cup. 

The courier interestingly describes him as a winger and I really hope that is not the case. Was painful watching a centre half play left wing last season I dunno if I could do another season of it 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye Mason Hancock from Aberdeen confirmed now. Stirling Albion fans said he was a Rolls Royce at left back for them last season, he’s a centre half though and played there as captain when Aberdeen B beat us in the diddy cup. 

The courier interestingly describes him as a winger and I really hope that is not the case. Was painful watching a centre half play left wing last season I dunno if I could do another season of it 

Definitely centre half naturally but can play left back if needed. Dons rate him highly so a decent acquisition I think.  You clearly have a strong CB pairing so Mason is cover to them or competition for your LB. 

I would think we'll get a loan or two from the Dons this season. Was hoping for Campbell but likely we'll get Ngwenya and/or McLennan.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Definitely centre half naturally but can play left back if needed. Dons rate him highly so a decent acquisition I think.  You clearly have a strong CB pairing so Mason is cover to them or competition for your LB. 

I would think we'll get a loan or two from the Dons this season. Was hoping for Campbell but likely we'll get Ngwenya and/or McLennan.

Yeah he will fulfill the Liam Henderson role, interestingly enough I saw he played well at right back on Saturday too so just defensive cover really. Imagine Colin Hamilton will be on his honeymoon sometime soon so he will get a run at left back in the short term I think 

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah he will fulfill the Liam Henderson role, interestingly enough I saw he played well at right back on Saturday too so just defensive cover really. Imagine Colin Hamilton will be on his honeymoon sometime soon so he will get a run at left back in the short term I think 

That's a bonus. Versatility will improve his chances of game time clearly.

Shanks with a composed finish on his debut. There are a few decent players kicking about the Highland league, good to see at least one of them getting a big step up. Scott Barbour from the Broch always caught me eye. Sam Urquhart of Buckie is a strong finisher too.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's a bonus. Versatility will improve his chances of game time clearly.

Shanks with a composed finish on his debut. There are a few decent players kicking about the Highland league, good to see at least one of them getting a big step up. Scott Barbour from the Broch always caught me eye. Sam Urquhart of Buckie is a strong finisher too.

Only saw him for 45 minutes and Brechin are pretty terrible he was up against Kevin McHattie and Ian Davidson for most of the game but everything about him was very positive I thought.

From the sound of it Covid just come at the wrong time for him. Might be a really shrewd bit of business getting him on a 3 year deal

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Only saw him for 45 minutes and Brechin are pretty terrible he was up against Kevin McHattie and Ian Davidson for most of the game but everything about him was very positive I thought.

From the sound of it Covid just come at the wrong time for him. Might be a really shrewd bit of business getting him on a 3 year deal

Yeah definitely shrewd and low risk as he won't be on a fortune. If it doesn't work out then you will have the option to loan him out to get minutes and hopefully evolve.

Press and Journal saying we are now not signing Mason Hancock and the deal is off as of 5 minutes ago 

It appears Jack McKenzie got injured v Buckie and they now need him 

😂

Noticed DC said after he thought Hancock was done he expected another 2/3, so imagine there’ll be 3/4 we need now

Also makes me wonder if we plan on giving Patterson more of a chance this season 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think McLennan has now established himself in the first team squad . 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think McLennan has now established himself in the first team squad . 

He certainly featured in quite a few of the last few league games under Goodwin so could be unlikely. I thought with the new signings he could be on the outer fringe of the first team. Dons fans on here, on the whole, don't rate him and wouldn't be too bothered to see him leave. 

23 years old in October and in the last year of his contract, probably make or break for him. If he doesn't make it I think he'll end up at a club in the Championship.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

An interesting perception given that everyone I've spoken to who was at the game reckons there was nothing between the sides in the first half and Arbroath shaded it in the second half when the Brechin trialists began to tire. 

Considering Brechin had about 5 or 6 of the first team missing I think they did quite well. 

40 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

An interesting perception given that everyone I've spoken to who was at the game reckons there was nothing between the sides in the first half and Arbroath shaded it in the second half when the Brechin trialists began to tire. 

Considering Brechin had about 5 or 6 of the first team missing I think they did quite well. 

It’s a pre season friendly, there was nothing between crossgates primrose / Bo’ness athletic and Arbroath this time last year, although Arbroath are quite clearly a superior team

eta - and that’s not a dig or arrogance, it’s a championship team playing against a weakened highland league side. Arbroath are a million miles ahead of Brechin

Edited by 1320Lichtie